Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow ball carrier flexing whilst carrying e bikes

F

Filwhiteley21

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hello,
Have just purchased the Atera Genius Pro Advanced to carry 2 bikes total weight (without batteries) circa 50Kgs.
This is hooked on to an approved swan neck tow ball and fitting was very easy.
Both bikes are step through (Wave) and although tricky have adjusted the support grabs to give a satisfactory grip.
My main concern is the Flexing of the bike rack when viewed through the rear-view mirror.
I have spoken with the suppliers (Roof Box UK Ltd) and they say a degree of flexing would be expected which I understand however, the degree of flexing as seen seems excessive.
Does anybody experience the same and regard it as Okay?
I assume Atera have done their research and engineers have approved the design and structure!

Hello,
Have just purchased the Atera Genius Pro Advanced to carry 2 bikes total weight (without batteries) circa 50Kgs.
Both bikes are step through (Wave) and although tricky have adjusted the support grabs to give a satisfactory grip.
My main concern is the Flexing of the bike rack when viewed through the rear-view mirror.
I have spoken with the suppliers (Roof Box UK Ltd) and they say a degree of flexing would be expected which I understand however, the degree of flexing as seen seems excessive.
I assume Atera have done their research and engineers have approved the design and structure!
Hello @Filwhiteley21 , welcome to the forum.

Cannot help with your precise query (I am sure someone will be along to answer it), but for peace of mind, I use the belt and braces method. My towball mounted cycle carrier was also flexing a bit and purchased an additional strap as an attachment point to the rear door top of frame.

Will take a pic of the attachment when I get a moment ... but technically a level of flex is OK. If worried, always have an extra strap on for peace of mind.

Hello,
I don't have your specific setup and am still waiting for our Cali to arrive, but I have a Thule bike rack that carries two eMTBs which are around 23kg each plus around 20kg for the rack.

On my previous car, a Merc GLC I didn't see any significant flex in either the rack or the removable tow bar. It all seemed pretty solid.

In you set up, is it the rack that flexes or is int the tow bar itself..?

I'm interested as our Cali will be used to carry our bikes and I am hoping the tow bar is strong enough..!

Not a genius Pro but Atera and two electric bikes, normally battery on, all up weight around 65K. Always some movement but around 100+ uses and no accident. My only heart-stopping moment was when the claw end of the short stabilising arm detached itself. I also had a couple of "reversing by feel" moments, one a rear bar bending moment with a brick wall, and no fatal damage so the things are built to be rugged.

I've now replaced with a Yakima Click. As with the Genius pro much easier to install than the "arm outstretched, guess where the towball is" struggle I sometimes had with a non-folder.

Hello,
We now have the Atera Genio Pro and there’s no excessive ‘flexing’ with two bike mounted (not e-bikes mind you). Our previous rack was the Thule Velospace XT3 and there was no excessive flexing on that either.

Stand on it and bounce up and down. If it feels solid then its fine.

Atera products are very well designed and tested. They will have been tested to well beyond the max advertised carrying weight.

Hello,
We have both a Thule Velospace 4 bike carrier (on a Land Rover) and the Altera Genius Pro on the van. They both flex a bit, especially with 4 bikes on the Thule. I remember years ago when we first got a bike carrier that the 'flexing' was a little disconcerting but to be expected.

Just take a step back and look at the geometry/physics of what your got bolted to the tow bar. I’m amazed it’s as stable as it is!

Have you ever seen one fully loaded going down a bumpy pothole riddled road in Spain. Frightened the begeebers out of me.

Genio pro user. Three bikes on it, one an e-bike, some movement but nothing more than I am happy with.

However, when we’re off on an extended trip, can’t see out of the back window, so perhaps what the eye doesn’t see the heart doesn’t grieve over?

Just take a step back and look at the geometry/physics of what your got bolted to the tow bar. I’m amazed it’s as stable as it is!
Would agree, perhaps over thinking is my problem - such tends to outweigh rationality in general. Thanks for your logic!

Whenever I have heavy stuff on the back I switch on the reverse camera in flight. At least that way I’ll get a nice view of the resultant carnage when the tow bar fails.

I don't have your specific setup and am still waiting for our Cali to arrive, but I have a Thule bike rack that carries two eMTBs which are around 23kg each plus around 20kg for the rack.

On my previous car, a Merc GLC I didn't see any significant flex in either the rack or the removable tow bar. It all seemed pretty solid.

I'm interested as our Cali will be used to carry our bikes and I am hoping the tow bar is strong enough..!
The rack is flexing not the tow bar.

Hello @Filwhiteley21 , welcome to the forum.

Cannot help with your precise query (I am sure someone will be along to answer it), but for peace of mind, I use the belt and braces method. My towball mounted cycle carrier was also flexing a bit and purchased an additional strap as an attachment point to the rear door top of frame.

Will take a pic of the attachment when I get a moment ... but technically a level of flex is OK. If worried, always have an extra strap on for peace of mind.
Which strap did you buy and where from
Tnx

I have the Oris Ak40 tow bar with 75 kg nose
I hav3 undertaken considerable testing and am now satisfied that the set up is Okay.
My bikes tota weight without batteries is 48kg plus the rack at 20kgs total 68kgs. Still within limits but close to max ( excluding unreported safety factor by Oris)
I think you will be ok

Thanks for all replies. Has helped decision making

Which strap did you buy and where from
Tnx
Ah! thank you for the reminder to add a pic. There are two parts to this solution.

a) this is the strap I got - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FFZ6K5O/?tag=eliteelect-21
b) this is (I think) the ratchet tie down loop strap - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403707492083

This is how the strap attaches
PXL_20220803_173433797.jpg

The Peruzzo strap hooks to the top of the rear door (pls ignore the dirt on the roof).
PXL_20220803_173442247.jpg

The ratchet loop is permanently hooked to the cycle rack top bar - and the strap from the top is looped into the ratchet.
PXL_20220803_173457624.jpg

Hope that helps.

You can loop a strap around either tailgate hinge to create a safe strap loop and assist in supporting the bike rack.
Ideally attached to the frame of the bike rack

edit. I fitted a piece of helicopter tape to protect the paint work of the upper tailgate where the strap could rub

Ah! thank you for the reminder to add a pic. There are two parts to this solution.

a) this is the strap I got - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FFZ6K5O/?tag=eliteelect-21
b) this is (I think) the ratchet tie down loop strap - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403707492083

This is how the strap attaches
View attachment 97142

The Peruzzo strap hooks to the top of the rear door (pls ignore the dirt on the roof).
View attachment 97144

The ratchet loop is permanently hooked to the cycle rack top bar - and the strap from the top is looped into the ratchet.
View attachment 97145

Hope that helps.
What’s the blue thing? An alarm?

20B9A7B9-DD03-4128-ADEF-0C648D507AEA.png

That's correct. There are times when I go for events and park up overnight with my cycle in the rack. That folded extension goes around the seatpoat. Enable the alarm, and any movements, it will sound. Helps me sleep peacefully inside.
Thanks so much, will help enourmously