Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow-Trust

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We want to get a tow bar fitted, my local fitter recommended the tow-trust removable swan neck. I see the VW recommend version is the westfailia. Can ask what the difference is and is it worth the extra cost to go for the westfailia (any idea how much extra) been quoted £595 for the tow-trust. We will be putting on the Atera STRADA DL 3

I have a Tow Trust detachable fitted.
Main difference is unsupported load. 60 or 65kg max for the Westfalia, 100kgs for the Tow Trust.
if you’re sticking a bike rack on the tow bar, my advice would be go the Tow Trust route. Everything else is the same (wiring/integration etc.)

I have a Tow Trust detachable fitted.
Main difference is unsupported load. 60 or 65kg max for the Westfalia, 100kgs for the Tow Trust.
if you’re sticking a bike rack on the tow bar, my advice would be go the Tow Trust route. Everything else is the same (wiring/integration etc.)
Not sure where you get the 60>65kgs figure from but as can be seen below it's 100kgs.

Not sure where you get the 60>65kgs figure from but as can be seen below it's 100kgs.

Been discussed recently on another thread. The S value or vertical loading is not an unsupported load figure.

Post #22 from VW stating 65kg, I was told 60 via Westfalia

Our Westfailer was fitted by PF Jones and has a nose weight of 100kg

Would guess that they are both 100kgs in order to take 4 bikes, carrier, & heavy chain eg:

Strada rack:
  • Weight of carrier: 14.5kg
  • Maximum payload: 45kg (or 63kg if you are using the 4th bike adapter)

Been discussed recently on another thread. The S value or vertical loading is not an unsupported load figure.
Only info available is the vertical load figure which I understood to be stipulated by the vehicle manufacturer.

I do see 120kgs quoted by Tow Trust.

Not a fan of the VW Westfalia detachment/attachment method. Found the Brink towbar much simpler and from the above the Tow Trust one also looks more user friendly.

Only info available is the vertical load figure which I understood to be stipulated by the vehicle manufacturer.

I do see 120kgs quoted by Tow Trust.

Not a fan of the VW Westfalia detachment/attachment method. Found the Brink towbar much simpler and from the above the Tow Trust one also looks more user friendly.
I had Westfalia on my Passat and would say the Tow Trust is easier

Hi I have a Tow Trust tow bar on our T6 but had a Westfalia on our previous
California.
The tow trust bar does have a higher vertical load, also the westfalia bar needs a packing pad that needs being in place before the rear panel is refitted this is to stop the panel flexing.
I also think the Tow Trust is not as close to the rear panel .
Having used both IMO I personally prefer the tow trust bar.
We do not carry bikes but Tow a Caravan and find the Tow Trust easier to operate.

Alan.

Has anyone seen a towbar fail?
Thought not.

If the trailer is too heavy to hook up then
balance the weight more evenly, a couple of
bikes on a bike rack is no problem.

Might be worth looking at a fixed bar.
I’ve had two detachable, both stayed in situ...

Has anyone seen a towbar fail?
Thought not.

Only the near identical westfalia ones on Discoveries / Range Rover sports.

They regularly come detached & there was a recall for them - basically on those vehicles if you want to tow you should have the fixed bar.

I have the Tow Trust detachable. Well made and easy to take on and off. Comes with a handy storage bag for the detachable neck.

Back