Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow-bar bike rack options Uebler vs Atera?

Lequimper

Lequimper

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We have two relatively lightweight non-electric bikes. Since we have a tow-bar fitted, seems to make sense to get a bike carrier to attach to it rather than hang off the rear door.

Ideally we want one that folds down as we have limited storage space at home. Originally drawn to the Atera Genio Pro Advanced but it just looks so bulky and is heavy at over 20kg.

Then we discovered the Uebler i21. Lighter at 13kg and folds down compact. Similar price.

So just wondering whether those who have used the Uebler have noticed any downsides. From those who have used this carrier, does it lack any stability - does it still feel fully secure when driving about? Recommended?

Are there any other things about it to be aware of? Extra £300 for parking sensor does not look good value when the passenger can be the vocal parking sensor anyway! TIA.

I have the Uebler i21 and it’s just about perfect. Easy to handle and to carry, very stable on the car. Takes two bikes of up to 30 kg each. I do not have the parking sensors. Be sure to get the version that folds down 90 degrees to clear the tailgate.

One thing to be aware of: the gutter track that holds the tyres might be a bit short for those very long wheelbase MTBs. For ordinary bikes it’s completely fine.

That’s really helpful. Thank you! Just what I was hoping to hear from someone with one of these!

If your van is coded properly the parking sensors are disabled when the lights are plugged in, I have a Thule bike carrier and a folding carrier for a motorcycle

If your van is coded properly the parking sensors are disabled when the lights are plugged in, I have a Thule bike carrier and a folding carrier for a motorcycle
The company make a version with built in Parking Sensors.

The company make a version with built in Parking Sensors.
Wtf! How do you hear the beeps in your cosseted acoustic sound proofed California, I had a reversing camera so I could see, really good for lining up on the caravan drawbar

Apparently a visual/acoustic unit plugs into the cigarette lighter on the dashboard. Still reckon I have better things to spend the extra £280 on!

I’ve had the 90 degree version of the i21 for a few years now and can’t fault it. You do lose the sensors when it’s plugged in, but that’s the same for all carriers. I wouldn’t spend the extra for the built in sensors, but you need to be aware of the extra length. You still get a bit of a restricted camera view, through the bike frames. Last year I reversed a bit too far and smashed a tail light on the i21. The UK importers (Ford) were absolutely useless, not interested in sourcing spare parts, only in selling complete units. In the end I easily sourced a set of replacement lights (both sides) from a European bike shop, I think about £120 in total. I was initially concerned that the electrics might be confused L-R, because the Uebler website listed both left and right hand drive parts. I took a chance and bought the left hand version. It works perfectly with my right hand drive van. Remember that you need the 90 degree version (not 60 degree). Even so, if the ground rises behind the van where you happen to park, or you have wide handle bars, you may not be able to drop the rack far enough for the door to open. This is resolved by slackening a couple of bolts on the bike to turn the handle bars through 70-90 degrees. I do this every time, and carry a small bike specific torque wrench for re-setting. This also helps to avoid clashes between seats and handle bars, and means the bikes can be fitted such that you minimise the distance the wheels protrude either side. Be aware that over time this can result in the bike headset slackening, which you need to avoid. It’s a simple quick matter to check and resolve. There are good YouTube videos if you don’t know how. Finally, I made a simple wooden block to place between the ground and the rear bike cross-bar when lowering the rack, which I think avoids stressing the rack or the bikes if eg pedals contact the ground.

Also the standard 'arms' that lock the bikes to the rack may not fit bigger-framed e-bikes. Accessory arms to fit bigger frames are available from European bike dealers who stock Uebler.

I'm also looking at these 2 racks. There is a comparison video below (its in German but you can enable translated subtitles). I prefer the Uebler but wouldn't bother with the DC version. The guy notes that it does wobble a bit but we'd be carrying fairly light bikes so I'm not concerned

Atera make the smart car specific bike carrier, I have one of those and the build quality is excellent, so is the way the ratchet straps lock the bike frame in place, the video mentions a maximum of 120 kg remember you are limited to the nose weight for your vehicle, my T6 was 100kg

I recently purchased the Thule Easyfold XT. Main reasons for this purchase - folds up compact in 2 very easy movements (others I checked required more messing around with lights and number plate). Also a major pro for this one is that with a slight modification (remove 2 bungs) it folds back easily towards the ground allowing the rear door to open without removing the bikes or rack. I got the tip for removing the bungs from u-tube review.

We have two relatively lightweight non-electric bikes. Since we have a tow-bar fitted, seems to make sense to get a bike carrier to attach to it rather than hang off the rear door.

Ideally we want one that folds down as we have limited storage space at home. Originally drawn to the Atera Genio Pro Advanced but it just looks so bulky and is heavy at over 20kg.

Then we discovered the Uebler i21. Lighter at 13kg and folds down compact. Similar price.

So just wondering whether those who have used the Uebler have noticed any downsides. From those who have used this carrier, does it lack any stability - does it still feel fully secure when driving about? Recommended?

Are there any other things about it to be aware of? Extra £300 for parking sensor does not look good value when the passenger can be the vocal parking sensor anyway! TIA.
I have the Altera and it is quite heavy and takes up far more space than I would like. I have gone from taking 3 bikes down to 1 and find it a pain, often I take the wheel off and chuck the bike in a big black sack in the back! It is great for 3 bikes and gaining access to the boot

I have an Atera. Is quite heavy, but it's easier to place and remove on the towbar than my previous Thule 943 (?). And now the boot can open with the bikes on it. It just slides away from the back of the van without altering anything on the bike rack.
foto (100).JPG

IMG_20190526_195127.jpg

And there is a quite some space between the bike rack and the back of the van to get things in and out of the back of the van with the rack attached.

We have the Atera and love it. Perfect in every way.

I've had both and found the Atera Genio Pro to be the better bike carrier. The Uebler sits closer to the van and I had to turn the handle bars to stop them hitting the back and denting the van. I also found the Uebler very flimsy especially the light holders compared to the Atera. I suppose when you build things light they are never going to be as robust.

We have the Atera and find it excellent. It j-u-s-t fits under the parcel shelf if you want to take it off for security. It always feels solid in use and I particularly like the way it SLIDES to clear the rear tailgate, rather than just hinging away from the rear of the vehicle.
We got ours from Roofbox Company - they nearly always have some cosmetic seconds coming through their website if you keep an eye out. I seem to remember that it saved us around £70 to get one that was a "catalogue return" sort of deal. They give them a thorough check over and re-package. We've got all our Thule roofbars and bike holders from them under similar deals in the past.

I do not know if the offer is still there. Bought the I21 at the VW online shop. It was advertised as VW with Volkswagen printed on it but on the rack itself : very tiny: I 21 and. (Strange for VW originals ) cheaper!

We've got the Thule Easyfold XT. Absolutely brilliant bike rack. Easy to fit, easy to store. Might be a bit of an overkill for 2 lightweight bikes however. Ours transports 2 E mountain bikes & occasionally a 3rd, but once fitted it's solid with little or no movement. A little pricey but you get what you pay for.

Back