Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Which tow bar mounted bike rack ?

This thread has been really helpful but I can't work out from it or the relevant details where the Thule velospace XT and Atera strada DL3 are for sale, how they differ in terms of security? I have some valuable bikes I'd want to be putting on the rack and need to know if they could be left overnight or if it'd only be for short periods of time. It sounds like the Thule has keys to lock the wheel straps and frame arm to the bikes and the rack to the tow bar. What about the Atera?

Also does the thule velo compact tilt enough to open the boot on a T6?

Thanks all!

This thread has been really helpful but I can't work out from it or the relevant details where the Thule velospace XT and Atera strada DL3 are for sale, how they differ in terms of security? I have some valuable bikes I'd want to be putting on the rack and need to know if they could be left overnight or if it'd only be for short periods of time. It sounds like the Thule has keys to lock the wheel straps and frame arm to the bikes and the rack to the tow bar. What about the Atera?

Thanks all!
Never rely on the bike rack locks for security, many used to have the key numbers printed on the top of the barrel so easy for someone to order a replacement key on ebay; Always use a a motorcycle chain or similar that is secured to bikes + chassis of the van.

Last edited:

Thanks all!
Hi Alice
I have the Atera Genio Pro - recommended. You can leave bikes on it overnight as the frame arm is lockable, and the rack itself locks with the same key to the towbar. The wheels do not lock to the rack, so you may want to additionally lock each to the frame.
Feels very secure, but like anything a scumbag might find a way. I might not leave very expensive bikes unattended on it in dodgy areas for many hours.
It has 3 tilt settings, 2 of which allow the tailgate to open.
https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/r...ikes_no_022780/Qx@w,6M42VAwp3@Rb{~cC4ure_QXhD

I have some valuable bikes I'd want to be putting on the rack and need to know if they could be left overnight or if it'd only be for short periods of time
In effect they're always going to be visible or outside of the van, and if someone knows what they are they might well know how to get around any security.

We use extra locks, you could also cover them so the can't be see from a distance.

If they're that valuable get a box trailer?! But even then...

Hi Alice
I have the Atera Genio Pro - recommended. You can leave bikes on it overnight as the frame arm is lockable, and the rack itself locks with the same key to the towbar. The wheels do not lock to the rack, so you may want to additionally lock each to the frame.
Feels very secure, but like anything a scumbag might find a way. I might not leave very expensive bikes unattended on it in dodgy areas for many hours.
It has 3 tilt settings, 2 of which allow the tailgate to open.
https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/atera_genio_pro_advanced_bike_carrier_2_bikes_no_022780/Qx@w,6M42VAwp3@Rb{~cC4ure_QXhD
That's helpful - but I would ideally like to take 4 bikes on the back so the Strada would be best for size but perhaps the Genio Pro is more secure than the Strada? And it can at least take 3 with the add on part.

We’ve got a Strada DL3 with the 4th bike attachment which you wouldn’t need. It’s a very good rack. Sturdy, easy to fit. A friend saw it and bought one too for his volvo. Don’t think you can beat them really. The slide is clever. Clears the tailgate just about with wide MTB handlebars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How do you feel about the security of the Strada DL3? What can be locked to what to reduce ease of stealing nice bikes?!

That's helpful - but I would ideally like to take 4 bikes on the back so the Strada would be best for size but perhaps the Genio Pro is more secure than the Strada? And it can at least take 3 with the add on part.
I don’t know if it’s more secure than the Strada, but if you need to carry 4 bikes it’s not capable.
Add on part is very easy to fit, takes 30 seconds, but must be removed to fold the rack up. It was essential for us (in a flat) that we could minimise it’s size in storage.