Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tow bar rating and strength

Guy d

Guy d

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140 4Motion
I have a 2012 T 5.1 california with a factory fitted removable towbar. Does anybody know the rating of the towbar (what weight it can pull) and more importantly, can the towbar be used for recovery (by which I mean pulling out of the mud et cetera rather than recovery onto a flatbed truck or similar). The usual is that advice is not to use a towbar for recovery but I noticed that the mountings are on the chassis and fairly robust. but I'm very wary about having somebody winch me for example on the towbar. But there appear to be no other witching points or hard points underneath the rear of the vehicle. Any advice would be much appreciated
I should add it say 4motion
Guy

I have a 2012 T 5.1 california with a factory fitted removable towbar. Does anybody know the rating of the towbar (what weight it can pull) and more importantly, can the towbar be used for recovery (by which I mean pulling out of the mud et cetera rather than recovery onto a flatbed truck or similar). The usual is that advice is not to use a towbar for recovery but I noticed that the mountings are on the chassis and fairly robust. but I'm very wary about having somebody winch me for example on the towbar. But there appear to be no other witching points or hard points underneath the rear of the vehicle. Any advice would be much appreciated
I should add it say 4motion
Guy

Depending on the design of towbar (mine is a detachable one so not relevant here) it may be feasible to shackle a snatch strap directly around the bar and in that case I'd expect it should be fine, the worst case would be that the bar got bent. From what I've seen, the pick-up points for aftermarket recovery brackets for the T5 are the same ones as for the towbar. However maybe someone on here can answer you more reliably.

(Also to add - although you're not suggesting this - using the tow ball itself as an attachment point for a bogged recovery is very ill advised because if the tow ball shears off it will become a projectile and there are plenty of examples of that happening and people getting killed).

Used to use a similar cast towbar on a discovery for snatch recoveries with a couple of 2+ ton vehicles either end without issue. Never recommended to snatch from the bolt on receiver hitch types found in US and Aus as that bolt can shear.

I would have no problem winching from the tow bar as it’s static loading not dynamic and keep mine on to use the bungee rope on if needed. Always try and use a short strip to catch the end of a rope in the event of failure as good practice too.

For the front I would only winch not snatch off the towing eye, there are a couple of companies offering upgraded tow Points for the front, Terranger in Germany and Hess in Switzerland i think.

Depending on the design of towbar (mine is a detachable one so not relevant here) it may be feasible to shackle a snatch strap directly around the bar and in that case I'd expect it should be fine, the worst case would be that the bar got bent. From what I've seen, the pick-up points for aftermarket recovery brackets for the T5 are the same ones as for the towbar. However maybe someone on here can answer you more reliably.

(Also to add - although you're not suggesting this - using the tow ball itself as an attachment point for a bogged recovery is very ill advised because if the tow ball shears off it will become a projectile and there are plenty of examples of that happening and people getting killed).
I totally agree. All forms of recovery make me extremely nervous, and using tow balls particularly so. In fact I've never needed to, but on a T5 .1 California it seems to be the only hard point you can get it easily and mine is detachable! I just don't know what we would need to make it detach!

terrranger make some plates which go on the chassis, but I'm not sure I can get them because I've got caecal under armour on the vehicle. But they might be the answer for peace of mind
Used to use a similar cast towbar on a discovery for snatch recoveries with a couple of 2+ ton vehicles either end without issue. Never recommended to snatch from the bolt on receiver hitch types found in US and Aus as that bolt can shear.

I would have no problem winching from the tow bar as it’s static loading not dynamic and keep mine on to use the bungee rope on if needed. Always try and use a short strip to catch the end of a rope in the event of failure as good practice too.

For the front I would only winch not snatch off the towing eye, there are a couple of companies offering upgraded tow Points for the front, Terranger in Germany and Hess in Switzerland i think.
Yes. I've got the terranger recovery eyes on the front and they are good.

Why not use the vehicle's emergency towhook (here on the right)?
1644078071616.png

i would, but there isn't one! a d never was.. i do not know why not...

Back