Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towbar fitting for Cali Beach 2017

Vitruvian

Vitruvian

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
For the purposes of fitting a Towbar to a Cali Beach 2017 is the chassis the same a a T5 2017?
Proving difficult to get the correct towbar in Australia as there’re not familiar with the California model.

Yes they are the same mechanically and electrically in terms of tow bar fitment. Try to get a Westfalia one if you can as they are the same as oem. Also they should code your ecu so it knows you have a tow bar.

Yes they are the same mechanically and electrically in terms of tow bar fitment. Try to get a Westfalia one if you can as they are the same as oem. Also they should code your ecu so it knows you have a tow bar.
Towbar electrics are different from a T5 to a T5.1.
There is a different BCM (body control module).
Hardware is the same (body), but electrics are different. So make sure you buy the right electrics set.

What I meant was there’s no difference between a Cali and T whatever built the same day. As TB said there may be differences in the electrics across the years but not across the vans.

For the purposes of fitting a Towbar to a Cali Beach 2017 is the chassis the same a a T5 2017?
Proving difficult to get the correct towbar in Australia as there’re not familiar with the California model.
Yes. The body/chassis, the mechanicals and the Vehicle electrics are identical between a bog standard Transporter and a California of the same year and month of build. The only difference is the Leisure electrical circuit for the camping/habitation compartment. This electrical circuit is connected to the Vehicle electric circuit via the Split Charger Relay under the front passenger seat via a charging and ignition sensing wire to charge the Leisure Battery when driving.
The Oem towbar electrics are coded to the vehicle so that the rear fog lights are switched off if anything is plugged in such as a trailer or towbar bike rack and changes made to the Braking efficiency to account for a trailer etc: also, depending on the head unit the display is altered and rear parking sensors, if fitted, are disabled when anything is plugged into the towbar socket.

I stated the same year and month of build because VW change the Model Year in July, so a Feb 2017 build is MY 2017 but a September 2017 build is MY 2018.