Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towbar support ?

Calitreks

Calitreks

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi , after a lot of deliberation and searching on here I’ve finally decided on a westfalia detachable towbar primarily to be used for a bike rack. I’ve had a few quotes and settled on a company in Bristol LNB Towbars who seem reasonable and come highly recommended. The only issue is that they say I need to source the “towbar support” from VW if I want the Westfalia. From what I can gather it’s basically a piece of plastic that supports the bumper in case weight is applied on the bumper once the towbar is fitted. A separate T6 forum (just from a google search, I’m not a member) suggests that standard T6s need the support, but anything with a window behind the driver (kombis, caravelles and therefore one would assume California’s) don’t need this as it’s already present. Can anyone confirm this or otherwise please ? Thanks in advance.

I believe they are talking about the foam insert wich sit# between the structural towbar frame and the plastic number.

I have an aftermarket fitment of the detachable Westfalia (factory fit) towbar

They did not fit an additional insert ( wasn’t supplied from Westfalia to the fitter) therefore I believe you are correct, that it is not required.

Thanks all. Much appreciated. Spoke to PF Jones who were really knowledgeable and seemed to think I will need it and need to source myself.
I can always return if not needed and it looks like it will be under £30 with bolts and grommets

After 10 years, my bumper is still in mint condition without the extra foam parts.
The towbar was "original" Westfalia from VW, but without the foam.
Fitted one on my dad's T6 without the foam. Also still no problem.

I checked on mine yesterday, I can’t see an insert like the one shown in the PDF.

If I’m honest I can’t see what if anything the additional foam / plastic piece would do other than fill the voids formed by the tow bar sub frame ?

The structural part of the tow bar is only a few millimetres below the under side of the bumper load area.
The bumper panel has several plastic fillets near the rear quarter panels to provide additional torsional strength to the bumper panel.

I would be interested to see the difference with and without, IMO it would be negligible.

Having said that in the grand scheme of things £30 will not break the bank. So may as well have it fitted if it gives you peice of mind

Hi all, old thread I know. Does anyone have the part numbers for the foam inserts for the bumper with a west F tow bar fitted?

Thanks

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, old thread I know. Does anyone have the part numbers for the foam inserts for the bumper with a west F tow bar fitted?

Thanks

N.

Part 5.

9E05B284-3736-44A2-89C4-9C4733A1E560.jpeg

Update on this, I tried to order the parts through TPS. they’re always pretty helpful I’ve found. They can see that part no 5 when I give the number but can’t give me any detail on what it is or does. The image WG posted there appears to show the crash beam which gets removed and replaced by the tow bar. So I’m not 100% sure it’s the right part. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

Update on this, I tried to order the parts through TPS. they’re always pretty helpful I’ve found. They can see that part no 5 when I give the number but can’t give me any detail on what it is or does. The image WG posted there appears to show the crash beam which gets removed and replaced by the tow bar. So I’m not 100% sure it’s the right part. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

On the equivalent diagram of the Factory fit Towbar ( Westfalia) there are no foam inserts shown, so I presumed they used the original Part 5.

Those 2 foam pieces 5 are the same shape as the top of crash beam 7. They are very thin and would probably fill the gap of about 12mm between the plastic bumper and the top of crash bar 7. These foam pieces were not fitted on my coast van. I doubt if they would be much use on top of the towbar as it sits lower than the crash bar 7 and is a lot shorter. The ends of the foam would have nothing below them. As I said before the crash bar 7 can be retained if part of the 2 support brackets are saw off. This is explained on the T6 Forum. I fitted a towbar recently and it is a far superior job if the crash bar is retained.

Back