Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Towing and lights

S

SteveWR

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have now had my T6 Cali Ocean for 2 months, replacing my previous 2006 T5 Cali. We haven't yet had the weather to try it out properly on a campsite, but have been using it during preparations for my impending removals. This is when I found out by experimentation that the lights on a trailer do not work when the light switch is in the auto position. They need to be switched to manual to activate the trailer lights. No mention I can find in the manual. Anybody else seen this?

Doesn't sound right, my trailer lights work when in auto mode.

Doesn't sound right, my trailer lights work when in auto mode.
I've only been able to try it with rented trailers with 7 pin connections (which all gave a shed load of problems getting things connected, but that's another story!). I'll have a look again when I rent another trailer next month. But with the ones I tried, I got no power to the lights in auto mode, but all was (finally) good when I switched to manual. Can't remember whether I had the engine running when I tried it? Maybe that would make a difference. Shame they took out the small panel in the dashboard of the T4 Westfalia Cali which showed the status of the trailer lights. That was very handy.

My caravan lights work quite happily with the vehicle lights in auto mode..

I've only been able to try it with rented trailers with 7 pin connections (which all gave a shed load of problems getting things connected, but that's another story!). I'll have a look again when I rent another trailer next month. But with the ones I tried, I got no power to the lights in auto mode, but all was (finally) good when I switched to manual. Can't remember whether I had the engine running when I tried it? Maybe that would make a difference. Shame they took out the small panel in the dashboard of the T4 Westfalia Cali which showed the status of the trailer lights. That was very handy.
Mine works with the ignition on and I'm using the 13pin, so no adaptor. I do recall when I had trailer with 7 pins and used an adaptor the bulb warning light was on all the time.

Mine, with a 13 to 7 pin adapter, work correctly on both of my trailers and bike carrier.
The normal bulb sensing system gives a warning if the trailer indicators aren't working, indicators that is as I've not had a trailer side light fail to confirm that event.

Sounds like the Body Control Unit has not been encoded correctly for a trailer. Worth a visit to your dealer.

Does the image change on your radio when you select reverse when the trailer is plugged in?

Alan

Not too sure. I'll check next time I rent a trailer (in a couple of weeks). Although rented trailers are not too good a benchmark as they almost all have something wrong with the connections. The real litmus test will be when I tow my trailer tent in the summer. I know that all of the connections work on that. I do have the genuine VW removable tow bar, but don't know if anything was coded during or after the fitting. I'll check with the dealer. Thanks for the tips.

My towbar was fitted from new by the dealer but was wired incorrectly and not discovered until I bought the van at 2years.

Back