Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tracker Recommendations Please

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Has anyone fitted a S5 tracker and type and are the subscriptions negotiable, I also understand some can remotely isolate the engine if stolen.

Many thanks.

There is a forum sponsor that many folks have, sadly I can't remember the name of it.

I have a TK104 based device which I use a Pay as you go Sim, works out very cost effective but can be a pain to setup. You have to be careful of remote isolation of engine as its technically illegal because of the danger it poses.

I like the look of the automatrics tracker, which is both GSM and radio beacon based (and thus can't be blocked).

Lastly Autowatch ghost is a good way to stop anyone even starting your van without potentially replacing the loom.

This channel worth a watching.

This channel worth a watching.
Thanks MattBW, Watched a good few youtube vids, seems we have nothing to worry about unless you own a Range Rover, only need one due to both insurance companies i have requested quotes from insist upon a Tracker.

Good morning @Breeze1

If you are after a reliable, low cost tracker that doesn't have monthly charges for monitoring it, the Back2You is a good bet. https://back2you.com/ It operates on a Sim card, they send you a GiffGaff card with it, and you just top it up when the credit runs out. It can be as sophisticated as you want it to be. Geo-fencing is one option, so if it moves outside a certain distance from where you set it, you are alerted. It comes with it's own battery which lasts up to 3 months, but will gradually get less over the years. The battery can be replaced by the company at a reasonable charge. It can also be run from a 12V feed but that could make it easier to locate. It links to Google Maps and you text it's number and it sends back a text showing it's position. This could be very useful if the vehicle is stolen, then left somewhere for a couple of days to see if it is being tracked.
There is a simple leaflet that explains the functions that most people use which makes it easy to operate. The instructions that come with it are not so good however. I think @MattBW had a similar model sold by a different company, but their instruction book was much better.
You might need to ask your insurance companies whether they will accept a tracker like that or whether they need a monitored one. Like many others on here I have had an Autowatch Ghost fitted which would, hopefully, stop the theft in the first place.
There have been a lot of threads on here https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/trackers.24590/#post-283140 @Loz in the second post on this thread from 2018 highlighted 3, but I imagine the scene has changed again since then. Do consider the simple steering wheel lock as well
The modern thief may be highly skilled with defeating electronic immobilisers but less used to the older mechanical systems.

Best wishes
Simon

Edit; Sorry should have mentioned, but @Erbster 's post reminded me that the Back2You company are extremely helpful. Any problems they will resolve if you call them. I rang about the battery life and they suggested changing it which they did and returned it within 4 days. Very good company to deal with indeed.

Last edited:
I have a back to you tracker. The battery does degrade over time (and goes from 30% to flat very quickly, generating a spate of warning texts) and didn’t last 3 months for me (depends on strength of mobile signal?), so I have connected a permanent 12V feed. The instructions are indeed basic, but the company are really helpful.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Good morning @Breeze1

If you are after a reliable, low cost tracker that doesn't have monthly charges for monitoring it, the Back2You is a good bet. https://back2you.com/ It operates on a Sim card, they send you a GiffGaff card with it, and you just top it up when the credit runs out. It can be as sophisticated as you want it to be. Geo-fencing is one option, so if it moves outside a certain distance from where you set it, you are alerted. It comes with it's own battery which lasts up to 3 months, but will gradually get less over the years. The battery can be replaced by the company at a reasonable charge. It can also be run from a 12V feed but that could make it easier to locate. It links to Google Maps and you text it's number and it sends back a text showing it's position. This could be very useful if the vehicle is stolen, then left somewhere for a couple of days to see if it is being tracked.
There is a simple leaflet that explains the functions that most people use which makes it easy to operate. The instructions that come with it are not so good however. I think @MattBW had a similar model sold by a different company, but their instruction book was much better.
You might need to ask your insurance companies whether they will accept a tracker like that or whether they need a monitored one. Like many others on here I have had an Autowatch Ghost fitted which would, hopefully, stop the theft in the first place.
There have been a lot of threads on here https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/trackers.24590/#post-283140 @Loz in the second post on this thread from 2018 highlighted 3, but I imagine the scene has changed again since then. Do consider the simple steering wheel lock as well
The modern thief may be highly skilled with defeating electronic immobilisers but less used to the older mechanical systems.

Best wishes
Simon

Edit; Sorry should have mentioned, but @Erbster 's post reminded me that the Back2You company are extremely helpful. Any problems they will resolve if you call them. I rang about the battery life and they suggested changing it which they did and returned it within 4 days. Very good company to deal with indeed.

Morning Simon,
Really many thanks for your detailed reply, both company's from the forum backed via Aviva require a monitored tracker, I am considering the Vodafone Protect & Connect S5 / Protect & Connect S5 Plus, as well as the Autowatch Ghost as I do not want it stolen wrecked, repaired and returned and then to be Categorized as stolen and recovered thus making it harder to sell at a later date and at a low value.

Thanks again Simon

Will

Morning Will
Just a thought. You might find that if you add the cost of installing the monitored tracker plus the monitoring per annum fee to the insurance quotations it adds up to more than the prices given by other firms who don't insist on a monitored tracker. I think the installation costs in the order of £500 and £150pa to monitor it.

Best wishes

Simon

Morning Will
Just a thought. You might find that if you add the cost of installing the monitored tracker plus the monitoring per annum fee to the insurance quotations it adds up to more than the prices given by other firms who don't insist on a monitored tracker. I think the installation costs in the order of £500 and £150pa to monitor it.

Best wishes

Simon
Hi Simon,

Very good point, will take that into consideration, have to work fast as apparently it’s landed in sheerness so should be at the dealers very soon.

Thanks Simon.

Will

Hi Will

Don't forget you get 5 days insurance free from VW if you ask which enables you to collect your new vehicle and take it back home. One of my California friends has just taken out his insurance with VW as they do at least know what they are insuring. Might be worth asking them for a quotation.

Simon

I know some will say that Trackers are a waste of time and money but for anybody interested in a small, inexpensive Tracker, Vodafone currently have an offer on the Curve.
FYI it can be hardwired with the addition of a 12v to USB gizmo and it’s easy to hide in the van.

DBF249CA-76D4-4F33-AB76-3001AC519FB9.png