Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tracker suggestions please

Birty

Birty

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Has anyone got any up to date info on Trackers? If i search trackers on here the info is dated. I here about the ‘Tile’ but is it insurance recognised etc? Any thoughts please for a newbie?

Only a professional installed tracker would get a discount on insurance, you will need to pay a yearly subscription, what you save on insurance will be paid out in subscription.

I weighed up the pro and cons, for me the best option was a back2you gps tracker, with giffgaff sim.
Gives piece of mind

Last edited:
Also have a Back2you with Giffgaff picked up on Black Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the VW approved vodaphone tracker, seems excellent with a good app

Back2you here as well.

Not wired in but find on a full charge it is easily lasting for a month. Just a quick text to get an update......and a test to activate live tracking if needed.

Just got a brilliant £40 tracker from spytrack nano on amazon £50 plus very low annual subscription £85 p.a.

Has anyone considered having an iphone with GiffGaff Sim hidden away inside the van & use the find iPhone or Find Friends apps?

Xexun TK103B = £60 + fitting

1pMobile PAYG Sim card = 1p per text (min spend £20 per year)

Call it from mobile to get a text reply with lat/long and url link to Google map with location
Sends me a text every day to confirm it is alive

It can do GPRS location tracking to on-line app as well but I haven't bothered with that. Geofencing possible too - need to test that.

Richard

Posting this a few months later, but has anything changed in the tracker world since the last post here? Am looking for a tracker too, so recommendations would be appreciated.

Can you take out insurance without one and then get a reduction (for the rest of the year) once you fit the tracker?

Past experience with other vehicles was that Insurance Companies insisted on tracker fitment but it didn't attract any fee reduction. Bit like house alarms, DIY fitted gives no discount but Professional ones do but as LOZ says the cost option of that is way more than any reduction given.

Just a little heads up for those who like to DIY, I have the tk104 and have paired it with a free tracking website called GPS trace and pay as you go sim. £10 on Tesco triple has so far lasted me 3 months on data.

Probably not for the non technically minded it was a right pain to setup but I now have live tracking via the web and app access too. http://gps-trace.com/en/index.html
Happy to share my config if anyone else has this device and this website and is having trouble.

Last edited:
70a7c82f539379ab3596b3cd87bf8e3a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Loz
It depends what your criteria is....

1. are you wanting to invest in a tracker because you are concerned about van theft?

2. are you needing to invest in a tracker because your insurance company insist on one being fitted?

If 1, then the best one you can afford.
The common view is that a serious crim knows that he can disable a GPS device easily with a low cost signal blocker. So he will take your precious van with little trouble and little chance of being tracked.
Whereas, the Cat5 GPS+VHF tracker from TRACKER will give you the best chance of discovery and recovery.

If 2, then the insurance company will specify a minimal specification of device they will support. The Vodaphone and TRACKER devices are likely to be recommended. And you'll need to provide evidence that the device has been professionally installed.

I'm surprised to learn that the insurance reduction for having a tracker is virtually nothing, and that's from the outset too.

@Alan Andrews - it's for option 1. So signal blockers can't block the Tracker?

If you don't want something that can be found via a signal tracing device or blocked with a GPS blocker then Automatrics may be a good solution. It's better than a pure GPS/GSM type tracker, as it has a radio based beacon built in as well that can't be blocked (short of putting it in a faraday cage).

I don't have one and havent tried one but does seem a good system based on the videos on youtube.

Its second nature now, no issues at all.

As a surfer, I’m seriously considering one.
I carry my key in an Aquapac and fear one day it will leak or split and submerge the imob key in water.
With Ghost, I could leave the original in the van and have a second cut key on me. Knowing, even if they found the key, they still can’t drive off with my van

As a surfer, I’m seriously considering one.
I carry my key in an Aquapac and fear one day it will leak or split and submerge the imob key in water.
With Ghost, I could leave the original in the van and have a second cut key on me. Knowing, even if they found the key, they still can’t drive off with my van
If you have a spare key. Or 3 as some do. You can remove one of the key blades by tapping out the tiny roll pin. Then drill a hole in the blade and wear it as a necklace or tie it to your shorts. Then you can lock the van and not worry about it getting wet. Stash a key fob in the van. When you come to sell you can re assemble the key fob blade back into the fob. Easy. Top tip. Thank you very much. Mines a pint.

Did you not want a tracker device?

From what I understand, the Ghost product is a immobiliser device.

So if the van is towed away, then you will not know where it is or been taken to.

Am I missing something here?