Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tracking - worth having done at tyre changes?

A

aileron346

VIP Member
I realise tracking is worth checking if the steering pulls or if there is uneven tyre wear. But without these symptoms do people think it is worth having done routinely when getting new tyres fitted? Thanks for any advice..

Depends on how your tyres have worn - not if all wear is even IMO.

Yes definitely with all the pot holes on the roads now. You need to get as many miles out of tyres as possible so check pressures regularly & get tracking checked when change tyres, or more often.

I went to Kwik Fit yesterday and had a full check done including, Caster and Camber, after the dealer pointed out one of the fronts was more worn than the rest. The bigger workshops now have a computer controlled laser system that does a full check of all four wheels in one go which is better than the front to back system often used.

Turned out not only was the toe out on the front but the opposite rear was toe in. Essentially our Cali was crabbing down the road. Had this adjusted and now the steering wheel is straight (always annoys me when it isn't) and the Cali feels a little firmer on the road.

So I do think it is worth the few pounds to get the tracking checked. Much cheaper than a worn 17" or 18" tyre.

BTW I always inflate our vehicles tyres with Nitrogen. The ride is slightly harder and they don't loose pressure, but the rolling resistance is reduced and the tyres do not distort on cornering. This equates to better road holding and improved fuel economy. All for £6. You can also pretend to be driving a F1 race car....OK maybe not!

Main advantage of Nitrogen as far as I'm aware is it does not expand with heat, like compressed air. So you have constant tyre pressure.

My front wheels were both out by the same amount (I reckon from the factory) so I had rather premature outer edge wear and had to replace both at 14k miles. A bit annoying.

KernowLad said:
My front wheels were both out by the same amount (I reckon from the factory) so I had rather premature outer edge wear and had to replace both at 14k miles. A bit annoying.

I suspect I had a similar experience. The inner edges of mine were wearing slightly faster - it caught me out on a long trip to Austria and back - I left with what I thought was enough tread and didn't notice I'd gone through to the carcass on the insides when I got back.

I had the tracking checked at VW when I replaced the tyres and it was OK.

A few thousand miles on the new tyres and I could see the same wear starting so I took it back for a full 4-wheel alignment check and the front was slightly out. I suspect it's been out from the factory. I got around 10k (can't actually remember for sure - might have been 9k) out of the OE Dunlops on the front despite very steady driving and lots of motorway miles.

Andy said:
Main advantage of Nitrogen as far as I'm aware is it does not expand with heat, like compressed air. So you have constant tyre pressure.
all gases expand and contract with heat, air is approx 80% nitrogen anyway.

beardie said:
Andy said:
all gases expand and contract with heat, air is approx 80% nitrogen anyway.

My understanding is that, for the same pressure, the tyre is harder and the wall does not distort so easily on hard cornering. This means you have more rubber on the road.
This is in addition to less leakage due the the larger molecules. Not able to comment on the expansion due to heat.

I certainly did notice two things when Kwikfit inflated the company T5 panel van with nitrogen when the tyres were changed. I had not asked them to do this, however, the road holding did improve noticeably and the ride was certainly harder. I think the wear was improved on the fronts, but can't prove this as the contact ran out within the year so the van went to auction.

This convinced me and now I run all our family vehicles with nitrogen inflated tyres.

Back