Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Where to put the dogs

Cautious Lip

Cautious Lip

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi

I'm just about to order a new California Beach T6. Just waiting to find out if I can upgrade the dashboard to the Ocean style.

My question is, where is the best place for dogs to travel in the van. I'm guessing the boot area, but this would compromise storage space for other stuff. Is anyone aware of aftermarket solutions that work well ?

Thanks

You can get locking cargo rings to go in the slide rails, forward of the rear seat stop and then use a harness lead to secure the dog/s, or a seat belt harness that clips into one of the rear seat seatbelt locks, then they can sit on the rear seat. Folding transport cage for passenger compartment?

Try to read the dog section , lots of tips on how i , and many others travel with our beloved dogs....

The higher spec dashboard is available on the beach but only in combination with climatronic air con at £1224. Ok if you want the posh air con anyway as we do, as this makes the dashboard about 500 quid, which having seen one yesterday we think is well worth it. It gives several additional storage areas that have lids which will be very useful in a beach.
As far as travelling with a faithful friend is concerned we use the foldaway crate in the photo which fits between the seats and still leaves enough room for the kids whilst also giving Archie plenty of room.
image.jpeg

I travel with either one, two or, occasionally, four dogs in the Cali. One travels on the bench seat with a crash-tested Bergan harness attached via the seatbelt and one sleeps in her 'soft' crate on the floor, wedged lengthways between the passenger seat and the bench so that it doesn't move and it is also slightly taller than the bench seat base, so acts as a bolster to keep Hermione (in the harness) on the bench seat. If I travel with four, my other two girls go in the back, in an even larger folding crate which either sits on the floor or on the rear shelf, leaving space beneath for coats, boots etc. but perhaps not enough for all the camping gear unless travelling exceptionally light! Here is the crate (a Croft Classic) that I use in the middle section.
Enjoy your Cali!

IMG_3058-1.JPG

You can get locking cargo rings to go in the slide rails, forward of the rear seat stop and then use a harness lead to secure the dog/s, or a seat belt harness that clips into one of the rear seat seatbelt locks, then they can sit on the rear seat. Folding transport cage for passenger compartment?

Locking cargo rings - any suggestions where from please? Thanks.

The higher spec dashboard is available on the beach but only in combination with climatronic air con at £1224. Ok if you want the posh air con anyway as we do, as this makes the dashboard about 500 quid, which having seen one yesterday we think is well worth it. It gives several additional storage areas that have lids which will be very useful in a beach.
As far as travelling with a faithful friend is concerned we use the foldaway crate in the photo which fits between the seats and still leaves enough room for the kids whilst also giving Archie plenty of room.
View attachment 10906
Do you have the bench seat positioned as far back as it will go then Archie? We gave a large black lab so will need a large crate.