Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Traveling with Ocean bed dismantled

Kevthegas

Kevthegas

2018 204ps NOW SOLD
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
So after 2 1/2 years with a Beach and an Ocean for the last 9 months the Ocean is soon to have its maiden camping trip away( time/ business commitments).

I have struggled thinking did I make the right choice with the Ocean, re boot space.

Messing about in the garden, I have had an eureka moment !!! Dismantle the rear mattress base and gives you a boot more than big enough for 4 to camp.

I have never seen this mentioned on the forum before so either I am so slow or have come up with a fantastic idea .

Kev

21FC8D4D-4AF4-4CDD-B7BE-50E8A6FA679E.jpeg

Thanks Lol !

In my defence life is 100 mph every day, the Beach Multiflex board was a pain to move around so presumed the Ocean bed part would be as well.

And exactly why you think this is a benefit ?
I'm missing the point here i think ....
If you take bikes inside or large things yes but when camping with 4 as you say you need 4 beds so why taking the downstaires bed away ?

As the post said, “Traveling” with the bed dismantled.
When on site we will be able to erect bbq, tables, tent for my youngest to sleep in. Then put the rear mattress together. This method is much safer than having items perched on top of the mattresses ect.

I'm getting where you are coming from, I think.
I guess the fact that the bench seat is farther forward gives a longer load area yet cannot help wondering if you lay the bed frame on the floor and load everything on top of it rather than having it stood vertically would give more space.
Alternatively do you have a towbar?
:cheers

Hi
Yes we have a tow bar and Thule easy base and bag, both I am trying not to use due to weight at the rear along with 2 bikes on the bike rack.
15kg gas bottle along with my existing fridge do not fit under the bed when fitted.

Also I do not want to compress the mattress with items on top of it.

We use a roof box for bulky but not heavy items

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If its space your looking for do you really need a 15Kg gas cylinder for 2.5 weeks? Not sure I would really want that in the van, and not in an externally ventilated cupboard, even if not connected.

I slide the bench forwards to a similar position that you have there (to leave a decent amount of legroom remaining), then stack in crates etc between the bed shelf and the bench and then load across the top of all that. Advantage of this approach is that you still have easy access to items under the shelf eg shoes/boots etc rather than having the whole area stacked up

Back