Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Trying before buying...

Quentin SF

Quentin SF

Vehicle
Just browsing
We're thinking about buying a Cali, probably in about a year's time. Our camper van experience so far has been a couple of trips with a friend's larger and elderly Ducato-based van, which was great fun but, we felt, a bit too big and lumbering for the long-weekend type of trips we're likely to do.

So the VW seems ideal, though terrifyingly expensive :) We'd like to rent one to try out before buying, and I wondered if anyone had done this and found it useful, or had any suggestions about good rental places? We're in Cambridge, so somewhere in N.London, East Midlands or East Anglia would be easiest.

Have come across the websites of Campervantastic and LTH Campervan hire...

Any thoughts, warnings or recommendations most welcome!

Hiring for a few holidays is highly recommended, we enjoyed it so much we finally bought one. We learnt so much about the van along the way through practical experience in all weathers and from receiving sound advice from the very passionate hire company. They are West Country based, so not quite your area, but the principle is the same. Good luck and enjoy.

Have come across the websites of *************** and LTH Campervan hire...

We hired from LTH in October and they were fantastic. Lovely red 2016 T6 Ocean 150 manual. Had a reasonable spec and was spotless.

They were nice and flexible on pickup times, drop off times etc. Great handover and explanation of how it all worked. Only thing we didn't get (but didn't ask for) was the remote control for the night heater.

Highly recommended :)

We're thinking about buying a Cali, probably in about a year's time. Our camper van experience so far has been a couple of trips with a friend's larger and elderly Ducato-based van, which was great fun but, we felt, a bit too big and lumbering for the long-weekend type of trips we're likely to do.

So the VW seems ideal, though terrifyingly expensive :) We'd like to rent one to try out before buying, and I wondered if anyone had done this and found it useful, or had any suggestions about good rental places? We're in Cambridge, so somewhere in N.London, East Midlands or East Anglia would be easiest.

Have come across the websites of *************** and LTH Campervan hire...

You could also ask Vindis VW and the VW dealer in Bury St Edmunds if they will loan/hire you a Cali. I found both dealerships pretty good when we were looking to buy.

We asked Leicester VW about hire, which they would do but they insisted that we insured the vehicle somehow and it was supplied 'bare' - ie no pots, pans, cutlery. Not even sure if you got gas supplied.

And it was more expensive than LTH which supply everything with the van inc a cadac, spare gaz bottle etc etc.

I hired for 2 months from Mark at Kamper Hire in Southampton, before I bought my T6.

The service and prices were very very good and the t6 I drove was as new . They can offer you amazingly good deals for longer hires off season . Suggest you speak with Mark directly . Best wishes

We did hire from VW Leicester but have to agree with this.....you'll only get a basic experience as the van comes bare.....in fact ours was a totally new ocean they'd just got in. We looked at it as a more like a long test drive and experience of the sleeping practicality rather than a overall experience of the ocean. But, to be honest it was enough for us and sort of stamped our decision to get one.

They do offer to refund if you subsequently buy, but they soon dropped of our shortlist as they were unwilling to do any kind of deal/discount of list price.

We asked Leicester VW about hire, which they would do but they insisted that we insured the vehicle somehow and it was supplied 'bare' - ie no pots, pans, cutlery. Not even sure if you got gas supplied.

And it was more expensive than LTH which supply everything with the van inc a cadac, spare gaz bottle etc etc.

We hired before we purchased and I think it was a great idea. We were lucky enough to get one that was fairly new and similar to what we purchased and it was fully loaded for a weekend of camping, so we only brought blankets and pillows. We used BMVS Camper Hire probably a bit far south for you, but they were really good.

Our local dealer had a camper for 'Try Before You Buy' - if you subsequently buy from them they will deduct the hire cost from the cost of the Cali. The one we hired was grubby and we ended up taking out their plates, cutlery, etc and putting our own in as everything needed a good wash. We figured if we enjoyed the weekend in their van we would love living in our own - which we do!

I hired for 2 months from Mark at Kamper Hire in Southampton, before I bought my T6.

The service and prices were very very good and the t6 I drove was as new . They can offer you amazingly good deals for longer hires off season . Suggest you speak with Mark directly . Best wishes
Plus one for Kamper Hire could not fault them.

We hired one and went to a meet with it before buying our Ocean, Didn't want to give it back at the end of the week.

I can also vouch for Mark at Kamper hire top bloke all good