Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Turbocharger solenoid valve

R

Richard Braun

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We’re in the east of England needing to get back to Ireland. We possibly have a faulty turbocharger solenoid valve. Flashing coil came on. Called AA who cleared flashing and said might be faulty valve. Any views on it being safe to drive?

We’re in the east of England needing to get back to Ireland. We possibly have a faulty turbocharger solenoid valve. Flashing coil came on. Called AA who cleared flashing and said might be faulty valve. Any views on it being safe to drive?
The error code that the AA found was P22D100

The error code that the AA found was P22D100

What Does the Engine Code P22D1 Mean?​

Character "P" in the first position of Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) represents the powertrain system (engine and transmission), "2" in the second position means that this is a ISO/SAE controlled OBD-II (OBD2) DTC. "2" in the third character position in a DTC indicates that the fuel and air metering and auxiliary emission controls is experiencing a malfunction. The last two characters "D1" is DTC number. OBD2 Diagnostic Trouble Code P22D1 means that Turbocharger Turbine Inlet Valve Control Circuit High has been detected.

How Serious Is the Code P22D1?​

For now, this issue is not serious. Carly recommends you to check this issue on a regular basis and check if it gets worse later on.

If this is the N75 or 'Moo valve' the common indication of an (upcoming) problem is a moo sound coming from behind the dashboard/engine bulkhead when you turn the engine off.
I had the sound (also similar to the soft close on the side door) on mine and last week changed the valve for a new one (£45 for branded new one and about half hour to fit). Although I had the sound there had been no change in performance or error lights.

IMG_6375.jpeg
Valve is in the centre of the photo with the 3 pipes coming off it. Already unbolted from the carrier plate. Carrier plate is attached via 3 10mm nuts.
IMG_6377.jpeg

Back In position and tightening up the bolt on the bulkhead. All the bolts are 10mm but I needed different length extensions or different 10mm spanners for each one.

My engine is the single turbo 140bhp. Believe (but don't know) that the BiTurbo engines have 2 valves.

Back