Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

TV.... do you or don't you?

I

Iain&Shani

VIP Member
Prompted by another thread, I was wondering if any of you drag a TV of sorts with you? We have digitalised music and books and are considering what we might do on the TV front. Internet TV may be the solution but that is dependant of accessing it. TV/DVD combo could be an option or external hard drive and connection?

Of course; this query is based on British summers. I'd really like to think I'd be sat out with a glass of something!!

I use the iPad with downloaded films or the kids portable DVD player. I really like to get away from tv if I can.

I'm with Kev on this one...

IPad when absolutely necessary... Not big TV watchers but useful for a late night movie on cold rainy days.

As I tend to use the iPad for updating blogs as well as SatNav duties, it's there anyway.

Space is always a premium and not keen on having multiple devices.

That being said, I know people wo wouldn't be without their mobile satellite systems even in heir Cali's and I have interloped on the odd program at meets etc.

M

Movies occasionally. TV never... (unless it is thru the window of someones caravan)

And occasionally it would be nice to watch a GP. But normally fall back to radio 5 live.

Eric said:
Never understood people who go on holiday and erect a sat dish, a movie on the ipad yes but satellite tv is all just a bit sad. we are normally sitting outside with friends or if wet a game of monopoly.

When on continental campsites it is always the british with the big dishes on their vans.

Whoa there buddy!!!! Have you sat outside with a TV propped up in a c*r*v*n window with a bunch of mates, beer in hand, watching the British Lions scare the living **** out of South Africa; or the Heineken Cup Final; or the RWC? No? Don't call me sad!!

If you want sad; play monopoly!!

btw.....all in jest Eric. All in jest. ;)

Eric i agree. but watching these people setting it all
Up makes me laugh :lol: :lol:
There the real sad ones

Now that is sad Eric. Fortunately Shani isn't interested in any of the soaps etc. She'd have a front row for the rugby though!!

Even having just a DVD player in ours is overkill.

TV is a definite no no despite it being easy (but expensive) to add a tuner to the Kenwood system.

We have a young daughter so a DVD player & TV were a must as we had one in our coach built MH previously.

To keep things simple we went with a Kenwood DNX7280BT head unit http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/navigation/all_in_one/DNX7280BT/ which has DVD playing ability (as well as Sat Nav, iPod, BT phone, reversing camera etc etc), and control of the Kenwood DV Tuner add on http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/navigation/accessories/KTC-D600E/, which is buried in the dash so nothing is visible. This allows you to watch TV or DVD on the head unit screen.

We also have AV outputs on the passenger side seat-belt pillar which allow the plugging in of a larger screen to allow viewing with a small screen sat on top of the cooker or fridge lid when the front seats are rotated.

DNX7280BT_navi_UK.jpg

KTC-D600E_SWL.jpg

This is all part of an install which includes the CMOS 300 camera http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/multimedia/accessories/CMOS-300/ as the VW bike rack makes direct rear view almost impossible, and keeping the whole install as discreet as possible.

CMOS-300_GER.jpg

Micky - is that basically a posher version of ours (ours is in the Cali brochure)?!

KernowLad said:
Micky - is that basically a posher version of ours (ours is in the Cali brochure)?!

Simply putting it.... yes & no.

Touch screen control, easier update/control functionality etc, also cheaper to buy IIRC compared to the VW branded one. ;)

Interesting... will start another thread on head units i think EDIT: No i wont there are loads of them already!
We've got an avtex tv - don't always take it but we do like a bit of telly.

We normally have our MacBook with us. I bought an Elgato EyeTV, it's a USB TV tuner, and a stick on ariel. They work a treat. We don't often use them when we're travelling together but if I take the van off for a night away alone it's sometimes nice to have TV.

V3RN said:
We normally have our MacBook with us. I bought an Elgato EyeTV, it's a USB TV tuner, and a stick on ariel. They work a treat. We don't often use them when we're travelling together but if I take the van off for a night away alone it's sometimes nice to have TV.

I like the sound of this. Folks on Amazon were slightly critical of the reception on anything other than a roof top aerial. I take it you are happy with it.

I'm thinking laptop plus this.

Monopoly ,cards, books..had more conversation and a laugh with my teenagers over a game of Monopoly while it rained outside than ever have watching TV (and these are proper "Oh God - Monoply is SO lame!" teenagers) Would never do this at home but on hols it's a no TV zone.

All electronic devices banned. When I said this to a " caravan er" her jaw dropped and said wish we could that aps her son just stayed in doors.
Rules may change as girlfriend has a kindle this year ( not sure if it breaks the rules as its just a glorified book )
Ds and tv banned. Bring on monopoly deal and UNO !

LickeyEndBlues said:
V3RN said:

I like the sound of this. Folks on Amazon were slightly critical of the reception on anything other than a roof top aerial. I take it you are happy with it.

I'm thinking laptop plus this.

We have the Avtex STH1000 ariel which just uses a suction cup to attach to the window outside. Drag the lead in through window or door. It has a powered signal booster and seem to work well most of the time. The Elgato EyeTV then does the digital decoding. I've used it successfully both here and on the continent. I used it in Italy to watch the grand prix. With the MacBook in one 12V socket at the ariel in another you do need to be careful about tripping over wires. I tend not to bother paying for electrical hookup as the van lasts a good 4 or 5 days without it and then a 30 min drive gets you all charged back up. Otherwise I would plug the Mac into one of the 240V sockets.

IMHO a laptop and a 3 mobile dongle is a very simple and effective way of getting a form of TV in the vehicle. With BBC iplayer there is masses of TV available these days that you can download before you go away/ whilst on hols and you can watch live BBC as well. I dont use the ITV or channel 4 equivalents but I think they will give even more variety

With 3 dongle you can go for a monthly subs deal of about 15 and that gets you a free dongle. When you use all your airtime in any month you can switch it to a pay as you go. Should you venture anywhere else with wifi, or if you are part of the BT broadband network (gives you free wifi when away from home if your machine is within range of a bt subscriber) you can top up your telly.

Its an imperfect proxy I know but its a neat and wireless way of getting TV. Some snazzier campsites will offer wifi too I suspect

Avtex 18.5 and aerial. Bought to watch the Tour de France last year. Has a built in DVD player and takes an external drive.

Back