Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tv time!!

M

Mary

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi anybody any ideas on tv for my Cali?? Use would be mostly watching a download from my phone but want a larger screen for viewing?? Any suggestions including lead to connect both and position and attachment of screen?? Also 12 volt for when wild camping!!! Thanks in advance

Any reason why you want to attach the screen to something? For watching the odd movie we just use an iPad on its folding cover/stand, sitting on the kitchen unit, and bluetoothed to a portable speaker for better sound.

If you want to stream videos or live TV etc to the tablet you could always set up a 4G-to-wifi hotspot on your phone. We don't usually bother with that, we just download some Netflix etc movies onto the tablet at home before we travel, or sometimes somewhere en route that has broadband.

iPad (etc) re-charging off the leisure battery USB sockets along with everything else - phones etc.

Any reason why you want to attach the screen to something? For watching the odd movie we just use an iPad on its folding cover/stand, sitting on the kitchen unit, and bluetoothed to a portable speaker for better sound.

If you want to stream videos or live TV etc to the tablet you could always set up a 4G-to-wifi hotspot on your phone. We don't usually bother with that, we just download some Netflix etc movies onto the tablet at home before we travel, or sometimes somewhere en route that has broadband.

iPad (etc) re-charging off the leisure battery USB sockets along with everything else - phones etc.
Just what we do, create hotspot on an iPhone with unlimited data contract and connect iPad to the hotspot. We have an iPad holder clipped onto the headrest posts on drivers seat. Works a treat.

Just what we do, create hotspot on an iPhone with unlimited data contract and connect iPad to the hotspot. We have an iPad holder clipped onto the headrest posts on drivers seat. Works a treat.

Thats fine when you've got a phone signal, have just been on a site for a few days with absolutely no coverage. The campsite actually had an old fashioned payphone!

Thats fine when you've got a phone signal, have just been on a site for a few days with absolutely no coverage. The campsite actually had an old fashioned payphone!
Agreed. Backups in no particular order are:-
1. Campsite WiFi
2. Downloaded content
3. Radio
4. A book
Wine with all of the above :)

Always have a few things downloaded, normally get 30days and instant renewal (Netflix).
I had this as a back up too, cracking picture on the screen1057EC2A-886D-400E-8FBB-551A10E91D28.jpeg

Currently on Malvern hills CAMC site.

EE and Vodafone coverage, oh signal so weal it drives me nuts. Club Wi-Fi totally absolutely totally unforgivably useless.

A TV whilst out wild camping? I thought it was about being as one with nature - peace, quiet, tranquility, etc.

One of the most tragic things ever is staying on a caravan club site hearing the synchronised Eastenders theme echoing around come 7.30pm. Just stay at home FFS.

One of the most tragic things ever is staying on a caravan club site hearing the synchronised Eastenders theme echoing around come 7.30pm. Just stay at home FFS.
There’s a big difference between watching a film with an otherwise bored 11 year old when it’s dark and raining & religiously watching telly all evening every night.

Camping is supposed to be an enjoyable pastime, not some form of punishment for the kids.

There’s a big difference between watching a film with an otherwise bored 11 year old when it’s dark and raining & religiously watching telly all evening every night.

Camping is supposed to be an enjoyable pastime, not some form of punishment for the kids.
Absolutely. And anyway I can't understand why so many people on here deride folks who choose to watch the telly while camping. Why the hell not, if that's what they enjoy? It doesn't have to be justified.

If we're talking about what's "sad", well I have friends who doubtlessly regard the whole business of owning a campervan and parking up for the night on a damp field as pretty sad. It's just that they're too polite to say so.

If you want some TV but have no internet coverage , I got something called an Eye TV from a company called Genia Tech , its a Mini tv tuner with an aerial, the size of a box of matches , it looks like it should belong to James Bond , but it works really well with an iPad .

Hi anybody any ideas on tv for my Cali?? Use would be mostly watching a download from my phone but want a larger screen for viewing?? Any suggestions including lead to connect both and position and attachment of screen?? Also 12 volt for when wild camping!!! Thanks in advance
We have a 16inch 12v Ferguson with a built in CD player. Speakers are not so hot though.Just back from 2 days in the New Forest and we may decide to give up the TV altogether, although in the winter it is quite useful when it gets dark at 4pm.

20210614_150843.jpg

20210614_150858.jpg

Last edited:
My tv (built in DVD player) / aerial / bracket for sale in the used section ;-)

i was thinking about getting a tv until i read this. thanks. you've saved me some money. lol.

I was in the lakes last night, the views from the site were great and the weather was ok. A 20 foot long Fiat pulled in next to us, plugged in and spent the whole night watching super hero films on his big screen TV with matching sound bar, it was horrific, our quite night of sitting out with a glass of wine and a BBQ looking at the surrounding country side and listening to the local animals and birds was completely finished. I don't see the point in going to the expense and the travel to go and sit and watch TV! The noise was awful, I am starting to question if this is the life for me as this isn't the first time this type of crap has happened.

i was thinking about getting a tv until i read this. thanks. you've saved me some money. lol.
Do your own thing. We watch the tv in the early Spring/Autumn/Winter when it gets dark at 4pm.

Nothing wrong with a tv and staying at home just to watch tv doesn't make sense. You can watch it at night and during the day enjoy, the hills, beaches, countryside etc.

PS. We haven't watched Eastenders for over 15 years.

If you want pretty much guaranteed tv coverage get an old style pronged aerial on an aluminium 3 piece pole and position it through a slot of the bike rack and secure with one of the bike prongs.Then feed the signal through a £20 vision plus VP amplifier and then into the back of your TV set. The set up can be run entirely in 12v mode if required, and I haven't failed to get a decent signal anywhere yet. Just need to work out the orientation - vertical or horizontal - of the aerial. This can normally be obtained by walking around the site and looking for a rig that has already worked it out for you.

We don't take the tv when we go on "the continent". No need because a lot of big whites have tv's on swivel mounts so that they can orient the tv externally for the benefit of all :(.

If you want pretty much guaranteed tv coverage get an old style pronged aerial on an aluminium 3 piece pole and position it through a slot of the bike rack and secure with one of the bike prongs.Then feed the signal through a £20 vision plus VP amplifier and then into the back of your TV set. The set up can be run entirely in 12v mode if required, and I haven't failed to get a decent signal anywhere yet. Just need to work out the orientation - vertical or horizontal - of the aerial. This can normally be obtained by walking around the site and looking for a rig that has already worked it out for you.

We don't take the tv when we go on "the continent". No need because a lot of big whites have tv's on swivel mounts so that they can orient the tv externally for the benefit of all :(.
Same here, tv in the UK only.

Back