Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

'Twas the night before christ6mas...

Thank you very much. Not a very snug fit :)
Was it something special with the curtains on the rhd models? Or was that ocean only?
the fit may be something to do with me fitting them! I'm sure i could get them neater. They did the job anyway. The blinds are on Ocean only.

the fit may be something to do with me fitting them! I'm sure i could get them neater. They did the job anyway. The blinds are on Ocean only.
On ours there is a foam bead on the bottom edge. We tuck this into the gap between the dashboard and windscreen to get a good tight fit. This makes it almost light proof.

On ours there is a foam bead on the bottom edge. We tuck this into the gap between the dashboard and windscreen to get a good tight fit. This makes it almost light proof.
You're right. That's what mine has. I just did a rubbish rushed job of it. I'll get better I'm sure!

I have those curtains, but to be honest, I find the outside thermal cover much quicker and eaisier to fit , and give total blackout and keep the windscreen warm so it doesn't mist up so much

Great to share your experiences and good to see you getting so much use already. A good decision on getting the heater. In the final picture of my Beach with the topper and thermal screen it was below freezing at night, although it was actually mid-summers day here, and I wished for the heater. It was a good job I put the topper on (first time used) as it keeps the heat in. Parking heater is a good candidate for a retrofit at the moment.

Are those lights in the tailgate? They look quite useful and would help when the tailgate is open.

I used the internal curtains once before buying the thermal screen cover from Comfortz; curtains are fiddly to put on and haven't been used since. It only takes a minute to put the screen cover on and it really works. Both the topper and screen cover fit between the folded chairs in the tailgate.

Agree Yellow is the best colour by far! I've just done about 1800 miles around South Island New Zealand in mine and it stands out against all the white rental vans and those pesky 'wicked campervans'. It's a fun colour and I think it captures the 'California Spirit' well, I'm happy to see so many people going for it now. Will also be cooler in the hot sun compared to the dark colours.

The astute ones will see that I'm running on the steel wheels and four seasons GoodYear tyres bought from Benn. Mainly because the tyres are sturdier and better suited to the gravel roads and campsites, than the Dunlop sports originally fitted to the Dakar wheels, currently sat in my garage!. Can't think why VW would fit tyres so poorly suited to grass and camp grounds to a vehicle designed for camping.

PC200355.JPG PC200382.JPG PC280798.JPG

PC180273.JPG PC220464.JPG

Andy

Great to share your experiences and good to see you getting so much use already. A good decision on getting the heater. In the final picture of my Beach with the topper and thermal screen it was below freezing at night, although it was actually mid-summers day here, and I wished for the heater. It was a good job I put the topper on (first time used) as it keeps the heat in. Parking heater is a good candidate for a retrofit at the moment.

Are those lights in the tailgate? They look quite useful and would help when the tailgate is open.

I used the internal curtains once before buying the thermal screen cover from Comfortz; curtains are fiddly to put on and haven't been used since. It only takes a minute to put the screen cover on and it really works. Both the topper and screen cover fit between the folded chairs in the tailgate.

Agree Yellow is the best colour by far! I've just done about 1800 miles around South Island New Zealand in mine and it stands out against all the white rental vans and those pesky 'wicked campervans'. It's a fun colour and I think it captures the 'California Spirit' well, I'm happy to see so many people going for it now. Will also be cooler in the hot sun compared to the dark colours.

The astute ones will see that I'm running on the steel wheels and four seasons GoodYear tyres bought from Benn. Mainly because the tyres are sturdier and better suited to the gravel roads and campsites, than the Dunlop sports originally fitted to the Dakar wheels, currently sat in my garage!. Can't think why VW would fit tyres so poorly suited to grass and camp grounds to a vehicle designed for camping.

View attachment 11471 View attachment 11472 View attachment 11474

View attachment 11470 View attachment 11473

Andy
Your van looks brilliant. Your adventures put my latest adventure (sleeping on the driveway last night) in perspective. Good to have a view of someone who has done a lot of travelling in this great van. I knew I would but I'm totally taken by the thing. Love it. Don't ever want to be without a Cali of some sort!
Yeah the tailgate lights are very handy as are the pop top roof lights. Very pleased I added those.
Would have frozen last night without the parking heater. Still haven't worked out the timer on it but was brilliant to be able to switch on when the cold woke me up!

Hi, are you using the VW comfort mattress on top of the 3 seat bench? If so, how are you finding the comfort? Does it feel fairly flat with the mattress on top?

Your van looks brilliant. Your adventures put my latest adventure (sleeping on the driveway last night) in perspective. Good to have a view of someone who has done a lot of travelling in this great van. I knew I would but I'm totally taken by the thing. Love it. Don't ever want to be without a Cali of some sort!
Yeah the tailgate lights are very handy as are the pop top roof lights. Very pleased I added those.
Would have frozen last night without the parking heater. Still haven't worked out the timer on it but was brilliant to be able to switch on when the cold woke me up!

Hi, are you using the VW comfort mattress on top of the 3 seat bench? If so, how are you finding the comfort? Does it feel fairly flat with the mattress on top?
Yeah it's a VW mattress. It's is good and flat which was a pleasant surprise. It was pretty firm (not amazingly comfortable) but perhaps I've done something wrong. Is there a right and wrong way round to do things?

A few more pics after an early morning jaunt to Lytham St Annes.
Our first trip out as a family. Wasn't sure what to expect as it wasn't warm enough to play out for long and my eldest son has Autism and Downs Syndrome so he can find change hard and it could have been a very quick stop off if he couldn't settle. It turned out to be a brilliantly successful trip. We had brunch around the table with the roof up and the parking heater on (essential when it was -2Âş outside!). After food we lowered the bed and let the kids play 'upstairs' whilst looking at the view with their higher vantage point. It was amazing. Everyone was very happy and relaxed and we loved the amount of glass in the beach to soak up the views. I tried to test the awning but it was so cold I couldn't get the legs down!
We had a lovely couple stop and chat with us, they have a t4 and are looking to change to a Cali. They wanted the beach for the wider bed. One of the reasons I wanted one too. Was nice to show the beach off without showing off (if that makes sense).
I'm getting more confident with the roof now. Going up is easy, it's the closing that always stresses me slightly. Bellows paranoia sets in. All good though.
We're finally living the dream!
:bananadance

View attachment 11456
Apologies for the 3 blurries!
View attachment 11457
View attachment 11458 View attachment 11459
my campervan was my haven for a while. It will be nice for him to be settled in the van even if it's different outside.
what's the parking like at Lytham on the front?

my campervan was my haven for a while. It will be nice for him to be settled in the van even if it's different outside.
what's the parking like at Lytham on the front?
Lots of parking but most with sand dunes in the way of the view!
This place wasn't next to a beach we could play on but it had nice views and was empty! We did get there early too!

Yeah hopefully the big will find the van a safe/calm place.
Haven is the perfect word.

I guess the hardness is needed to flatten the 3 seat bench. Maybe a memory foam topper would finish it off nicely. I may well do the same, having heard the VW mattress is pretty hard from quite a few others o the mattress thread.

Yeah it's a VW mattress. It's is good and flat which was a pleasant surprise. It was pretty firm (not amazingly comfortable) but perhaps I've done something wrong. Is there a right and wrong way round to do things?

Well one week of ownership has flown by.
Have done nearly 500 miles and I've not even been away! Have slept out on the drive to test the heater. Still not sure how to programme but have managed to work out continuous or count down timer mode. The heater is brilliant. It does smell when you first turn it on but that soon goes. Turning it on today I noticed quite a bit of exhaust 'smoke' coming up through the bonnet for a couple of minutes. Is that normal?

I've worked out the comfort mattress isn't comfortable! But it does iron out the bumps of the 3seater bench. Topper needed for good night sleep down there I think.
Upper bed much more comfortable.

Getting a little better at seat turning although drivers is still a bit of a work of art to get right.

The roof scares me less, although I'm still a little nervous in closing. I think a bellows bungee will do me good even if it's just a placebo!

Grateful I ordered the lights. Especially the poptop one. Makes it feel like a significant space rather than afterthought.
Also pleased with the app connect and larger screen. Most of the time I'll just use Bluetooth but good to know I can have satnav if needed.

Loving the colour. No regrets there. Easy to spot in a car park! Cheers up the most grey of Lancashire days.

Tried the awning out today. It works. Looking forward to the sun that will warrant it's use!

I have a VW coolbox (bought on here) but haven't used it yet. It's a big old unit. Time will tell whether that is worth the amount of space it takes up.

Regrets? None. Would I order any other options or leave some out next time?
I kinda miss the mfsw. The volume knob is the furthest away and is a little lean over to access. I find myself pressing where buttons might have been on the steering wheel. It's not an essential but it is a nice thing to have.
I wish I had the coming home lights where the lights come on when you unlock it. Again not sure I'd pay what the option is priced as but it's a shame not to have it as standard on a 40k vehicle.
Maybe would have the heater remote control next time. A lot of money but laziness means it could be worth it.

Looking forward to working out how to store everything and working out what that everything is!

Loved these updates - all of us members with orders in the system get to share your excitement and discoveries, while building upon our own anticipation (especially having seen your specific van on collection day). I know that when mine arrives, I will be sure to do the same on here, as its great to hear new owners impressions, especially.

There are not enough T6 Beach reviews on YouTube, especially in English, so I know that, if you're brave enough, there is a massive audience that would love to watch your thoughts alongside images and examples. Again, I think I will probably film something when my Cali arrives, going through the features, options, etc., as there are so many questions that I have had to really dig to get answers and there must be plenty of other people feeling the same!

I remember when I bought my A6 and specced the tow bar: despite being an ÂŁ800+ option, there was not a single photo or video of what it actually looked like! So, when it arrived, I shot a video showing how it swung out from under the car and how it went back - it's been viewed nearly 30,000 times! It's a video about a tow bar!?!

Anway, thanks again and I'll keep my eyes open for the yellow fun bus around Lancashire!

I do sometimes wonder if VW realise just how much some buyers rely on this forum and YouTube for product information! Admittedly my VW dealer (David Miller + Edinburgh) is very knowledgeable on all things California but it sounds like others aren't so good.

I do sometimes wonder if VW realise just how much some buyers rely on this forum and YouTube for product information! Admittedly my VW dealer (David Miller + Edinburgh) is very knowledgeable on all things California but it sounds like others aren't so good.
Guy at Preston (who Daveyboy and I bought off) is great and, during the brief dealings that I had with him, Mark at West Yorkshire VW Commercial knew his stuff and was happy to talk deals. Guy definitely knows the value of this forum and how far a recommendation can go. It's just that it's also good to see third party or owner assessments, warts and all, through media channels.
I love a review, good or bad! The growth of third party review web sites suggests lots of other people do too!

Pics please! Should be compulsory for all new Cali owners! :)