Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Night Before!

Lewis

Lewis

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
It's finally time to meet our Cali! When we ordered it was bitterly cold and wintery, and tomorrow when I collect it'll be bitterly cold and wintery - its arriving 'slightly premature' at just shy of 9 months.

The waiting has been PAINFUL and many late nights have been had browsing the forum or accessories websites or sometimes even just staring longingly at photos (does anyone else do that?). Then the days were punctuated with hopeful email checks for updates only to be disappointed. When I finally got the call on Friday it was just as good as you'd expect it to be.

Big day ahead (and probably a sleepless night), work at 7:30, off early from school at 12 (don't worry, no kids' educations were harmed in the making of this Cali), train from Euston up north and arrive late afternoon. Handover and the LONG drive back.

Finance docs already signed and deposit paid (I trust Guy not to mess me around if there are any issues). Had no hesitation at transferring the very hard earned funds but I do feel massively nervous now - owning what I already know to be such a fantastic vehicle seems like a big responsibility.

I'd be grateful of any last minute tips (since the similar post that @daveyboydanger posted back in January). The handover checklist is ready to go.

See you on the other side as a fellow owner.... :cheers

It's finally time to meet our Cali! When we ordered it was bitterly cold and wintery, and tomorrow when I collect it'll be bitterly cold and wintery - its arriving 'slightly premature' at just shy of 9 months.

The waiting has been PAINFUL and many late nights have been had browsing the forum or accessories websites or sometimes even just staring longingly at photos (does anyone else do that?). Then the days were punctuated with hopeful email checks for updates only to be disappointed. When I finally got the call on Friday it was just as good as you'd expect it to be.

Big day ahead (and probably a sleepless night), work at 7:30, off early from school at 12 (don't worry, no kids' educations were harmed in the making of this Cali), train from Euston up north and arrive late afternoon. Handover and the LONG drive back.

Finance docs already signed and deposit paid (I trust Guy not to mess me around if there are any issues). Had no hesitation at transferring the very hard earned funds but I do feel massively nervous now - owning what I already know to be such a fantastic vehicle seems like a big responsibility.

I'd be grateful of any last minute tips (since the similar post that @daveyboydanger posted back in January). The handover checklist is ready to go.

SO excited for you!
Any trouble or want someone to show off to - I'm around tomorrow and just off j28 of m6. :)

Good luck. It Will be brilliant for you. Enjoy the handover tomorrow and then every time you take your Cali out.

Great stuff and exiting times .
Enjoy the first ride in your pride and joy....

Hope it all goes well for you and yours. You'll love it! Thanks for you input into my insurance question.

All the worries I had disappeared as soon as I saw it for the first time.

Been away at the weekend and it couldn't have been easier to drive and setup. Stopped off on the way back and had an impromptu cup of tea, priceless.

On the way back. Stop at the Services. Buy a coffee and a Muffin and walk back to your New California and sit in the back and - Admire, sat in your own mobile living Room.:cheers

Excellent! Enjoy your first "date" with the new member of your family. Exciting:bananadance2
:cheers

Congratulations Lewis,
My advice would be to buy yourself a luxury picnic for the return journey. This will give you the chance to test out your lovely new cali's features and put an even bigger smile on your face than will already be there.

:welcome

:rolleyes:

Careful now you don't make any hasty life changing decisions . . .

Where have you been since Tuesday . . . . .

. . . hopefully out enjoying your prize possession . . . .

Sorry about the silent treatment - it's been quite a week!

It absolutely was a sleepless night on Tuesday (baby, rain, Trump) so was feeling dire on Wednesday but made it to the dealership in the afternoon. Guy was fantastic as my first encounter with him had suggested as well as others' feedback. A thorough handover and all my questions answered. Nice to get a set of Monster mats thrown in for free too (Ive heard they wear a bit too quickly so glad I didn't have to pay for them).

There's nothing quite like a 3hr drive home to get you used to your new car. Except when 3hrs becomes 6hrs due to a meltdown on the M6 (over a giant pothole so I hear). Left the dealership at 6:15pm and got home at 12:15am. I have to say, I loved every minute of it. Heres why...

• ACC is amazing. It worked a treat in the faster stretches and in crawling traffic. It feels really intuitive and easy to use. I have a daily stint of motorway driving and it's perfect for it - I've used it in every journey since collection and continue to be impressed.
  • The drive height and smoothness of the ride makes the Cali so relaxing to drive. I've not yet driven over 65mph (apart from a couple of overtakes) and I can't imagine ever wanting to. No more insane rushing to work - just enjoyment.
  • App Connect (CarPlay) is a game changer for me with Music and Maps. It feels a lot safer but gives you all the features you need to hand as well as the Siri button on the steering wheel for full voice control. Just wish i could use Google Maps rather than Apple Maps - I'm getting closer to switching to Android for that reason.
  • Side Scan is a worthwhile feature. My other half drove the Cali for the first time today and found it really reassuring to have less concerns about blind spots.
  • I'm consistently getting around 40mpg on the MFD despite the outside temperature rarely getting above 5 degrees when I've been driving. I know this isn't the most accurate way of measuring it but it's a benchmark I can work with and one I'm happy about.
Any concerns or regrets?
  • I can see what people mean when they say it's a bit loose on corners and mini roundabouts. As a daily driver I would definitely have spec'd HD anti roll bars had I really understood what they were (I just thought proponents of these were 'car people'). At least now though I have to drive more cautiously.
  • I was concerned about the colour when I collected. Indium Grey seemed a tad boring to be honest (especially next to Blackberry) but its definitely a grower and I'm liking it more each day. It also seems to 'absorb' the dirt and not look too bad after heavy motorway miles. It'll be the right choice in the long term.
  • Probably should have risked it and spec'd the electric sliding door.
  • 5th seat situation is bizarre. In the Ocean it's basically unusable as a 5 seat vehicle if your passengers have legs and you don't want to remove the rear parcel shelf. However, it works for our young daughter who is still in a rear facing car seat and loves how close to the door the 5th seat gets her. Great views and closer to Mummy & Daddy. Just don't expect to be able to properly rotate the seats, pull out the table or fold down the bench o_O

As you can see, my negatives all seem to end quite positively and all round I'm thrilled with the California. It just terrifies me that it's parked on the road. A weekend of investigating security measures and fitting accessories awaits.

Sorry that you got through my mega essay without any photos for reward. Every journey so far has been to/from work in the dark but have got a slot on the in-laws drive all day tomorrow for Cali playtime so pics to follow.

:thumb

Good to read your report , some where allready thinking putting up a "wanted sign" afther you disappeared:D
Enjoy the Cali !

Sorry about the silent treatment - it's been quite a week!

It absolutely was a sleepless night on Tuesday (baby, rain, Trump) so was feeling dire on Wednesday but made it to the dealership in the afternoon. Guy was fantastic as my first encounter with him had suggested as well as others' feedback. A thorough handover and all my questions answered. Nice to get a set of Monster mats thrown in for free too (Ive heard they wear a bit too quickly so glad I didn't have to pay for them).

There's nothing quite like a 3hr drive home to get you used to your new car. Except when 3hrs becomes 6hrs due to a meltdown on the M6 (over a giant pothole so I hear). Left the dealership at 6:15pm and got home at 12:15am. I have to say, I loved every minute of it. Heres why...

• ACC is amazing. It worked a treat in the faster stretches and in crawling traffic. It feels really intuitive and easy to use. I have a daily stint of motorway driving and it's perfect for it - I've used it in every journey since collection and continue to be impressed.
  • The drive height and smoothness of the ride makes the Cali so relaxing to drive. I've not yet driven over 65mph (apart from a couple of overtakes) and I can't imagine ever wanting to. No more insane rushing to work - just enjoyment.
  • App Connect (CarPlay) is a game changer for me with Music and Maps. It feels a lot safer but gives you all the features you need to hand as well as the Siri button on the steering wheel for full voice control. Just wish i could use Google Maps rather than Apple Maps - I'm getting closer to switching to Android for that reason.
  • Side Scan is a worthwhile feature. My other half drove the Cali for the first time today and found it really reassuring to have less concerns about blind spots.
  • I'm consistently getting around 40mpg on the MFD despite the outside temperature rarely getting above 5 degrees when I've been driving. I know this isn't the most accurate way of measuring it but it's a benchmark I can work with and one I'm happy about.
Any concerns or regrets?
  • I can see what people mean when they say it's a bit loose on corners and mini roundabouts. As a daily driver I would definitely have spec'd HD anti roll bars had I really understood what they were (I just thought proponents of these were 'car people'). At least now though I have to drive more cautiously.
  • I was concerned about the colour when I collected. Indium Grey seemed a tad boring to be honest (especially next to Blackberry) but its definitely a grower and I'm liking it more each day. It also seems to 'absorb' the dirt and not look too bad after heavy motorway miles. It'll be the right choice in the long term.
  • Probably should have risked it and spec'd the electric sliding door.
  • 5th seat situation is bizarre. In the Ocean it's basically unusable as a 5 seat vehicle if your passengers have legs and you don't want to remove the rear parcel shelf. However, it works for our young daughter who is still in a rear facing car seat and loves how close to the door the 5th seat gets her. Great views and closer to Mummy & Daddy. Just don't expect to be able to properly rotate the seats, pull out the table or fold down the bench o_O
As you can see, my negatives all seem to end quite positively and all round I'm thrilled with the California. It just terrifies me that it's parked on the road. A weekend of investigating security measures and fitting accessories awaits.

Sorry that you got through my mega essay without any photos for reward. Every journey so far has been to/from work in the dark but have got a slot on the in-laws drive all day tomorrow for Cali playtime so pics to follow.

:thumb
If you are anything like us, your weekend of fitting accessories will be interupted by every Tom, Dick and Harriet wanting the full guided tour. Such is the draw of the Cali. Best take said Cali and accessories off to somewhere remote to do your fit out. Happy adventures.

What accessories have you gone for. Not sure these are accessories but we have spare safe, although it's been reduced in price just after I bought it, :rage. Monster mats and fitted today the Dubflecta wind deflectors.
We need some boxes for the back and slip/sound deadening for the shelves and draws.

What accessories have you gone for. Not sure these are accessories but we have spare safe, although it's been reduced in price just after I bought it, :rage. Monster mats and fitted today the Dubflecta wind deflectors.
We need some boxes for the back and slip/sound deadening for the shelves and draws.

I have a SpareSafe to install too. Other bits are seat covers, cabin mat and boot mats. There's loads of other stuff I'd like to get but will get to know the Cali a bit more first so I can prioritise and not get too carried away with credit cards!

Rain forecast all day today - typical!

Back