Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tyre pressures

B

Brianandjoy

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
we have a recently purchased California Ocean,the sticker on the door says factory fitted tyres 2.5 bar,the tyres are currently pumped up to 3.5 bar,a search through the forum shows a sticker saying I think 3.7 bar.Surely 2.5 is too low.We are just about to go on our first trip,what do most users pump their tyres to?

we have a recently purchased California Ocean,the sticker on the door says factory fitted tyres 2.5 bar,the tyres are currently pumped up to 3.5 bar,a search through the forum shows a sticker saying I think 3.7 bar.Surely 2.5 is too low.We are just about to go on our first trip,what do most users pump their tyres to?
215 or 235 tyres? the narrower tyres operate at higher pressure.

A typical Q no one here can give a correct answer to ...
What tyre size , witch load do you carry , what comfort do you like ,....
Look at the tyre and see the rating on it and inflate it inbetween the min/max then you need to find your comfortzone , hard/soft ride , more grip/ less grip ,....

It's all personal preference as you can read in the many other threads on tyre pressure allready placed on the forum

Understand you are worried but try to think reasonable and start off using it at a certain pressure and work from there.

Without us knowing which vehicle you have, we can’t even check our own vans and advise. Need to update your ‘looking to buy’.

And the tyres fitted are?

I tried to update our profile to what van we have bought but couldn’t seem to find out how to do it

I tried to update our profile to what van we have bought but couldn’t seem to find out how to do it
Click on your Name at Page Top and go to Personal, Bottom R side and choose vehicle.

As regards Tyre Pressures, for the last 60,000 miles I use the High Load pressures as detailed on the label, for the Tyre Size I have fitted. Equal wear Front & Rear and well over 20,000 miles per set, changing them at 3 mm minimum. I have a 4Motion.

As far as I am aware the Tyre Label found on the Drivers B Pillar, relate to the Base Van tyre pressures rather than California Specific. That’s what I’ve been told. So that is why, as my vehicle never runs empty, I use the pressures for a Loaded Vehicle. Mind you I have an SE, and the only thing I add before a trip is 30L water, or 30 Kgm.

Click on your Name at Page Top and go to Personal, Bottom R side and choose vehicle.
Thanks it doesn’t mention ours California Ocean TDI bluemotion

Our tyres are 215/60R17C

Last edited by a moderator:

Our tyres are 215/60R17C
So they should be run at the higher pressure you are currently using.
The 235 width tyres that are the alternative standard fit are correctly inflated at the lower pressure you mentioned.

Our tyres are 215/60R17C
All Oceans are TDI BlueMotion..
If you scroll down the list you’ll see T6 Ocean 150 or 204 +/- 4 Motion. Just pick yours.

Sorry I must be really dim but I can’t find out which ours is,it doesn’t say it on the. V5 or receipt from the van centre,how do I find out,thanks

my door sticker gives all the pressures for different tyres. stick with the manufacturers pressures and nothing else. what does it say on your drivers door? it should be there with the sizes and pressures . 54 psi is mine.

@Brianandjoy
I'm not sure if something is just being lost in translation here or if you really do not know what version you have.

Lets try this..
Do you know if your engine power is 150 or 204 ?
Do you know if you have a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?
Your avatar also says you have an auto (DSG).
But if your tyres are 215/60/R17C this will be on the sticker with relevant pressure.
This may help with the engine
http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwvin

Thanks engine power is 150ps 2.0 which I guess is 2 litre,it’s automatic
I’ve just found the full tyre information,we were looking on the edge of the door,it was actually on the door pillar.Id still be grateful to know what model we have

Here is a picture but I guess they all look the same

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks engine power is 150ps 2.0 which I guess is 2 litre,it’s automatic
I’ve just found the full tyre information,we were looking on the edge of the door,it was actually on the door pillar.Id still be grateful to know what model we have
You have the T6 Ocean 150 , Transmission - Auto
Bottom one on this section of the List
Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 21.16.57.jpg

Thanks so much,sorry to be so dim,it’s nice to know what we’ve got at last,we’ve just gone on our first trip,weather awful but getting used to the van

We put the normal tyres back on again as the snow seems to have finally given up. The winter tyres were on for almost 6 months this time. The summer tyres were all set to the recommended pressures according to the label, 54 front and 52 rear and tested when cold.
On the drive up to Snowdonia yesterday the tyre pressure warning light came on. I stopped where safe and checked, no obvious flat and all the tyres looked OK. Checked with a proper dial type tyre gauge. They were all about 6 or more lbs higher than previously. Presumably from the drive and the hot weather. At the end of the drive I left the van for a few hours and checked them again and they were more or less back to their previous pressures. The same thing happened on the way home today but it was the offside tyres that were most affected. Again after a few hours they were more or less back to normal.
My temptation is to not rely on it so much now. The temperature was only up to 20C so what effect does the far hotter European temperatures have and doesn't it make the warning light on the dash being of much less useful?
Here is a humorously written article about summer tyre pressures with some serious advice. I'd be interested to hear from continental members if their pressure warning lights go off all the time.
https://www.cartalk.com/content/summer-driving-tips-6

We put the normal tyres back on again as the snow seems to have finally given up. The winter tyres were on for almost 6 months this time. The summer tyres were all set to the recommended pressures according to the label, 54 front and 52 rear and tested when cold.
On the drive up to Snowdonia yesterday the tyre pressure warning light came on. I stopped where safe and checked, no obvious flat and all the tyres looked OK. Checked with a proper dial type tyre gauge. They were all about 6 or more lbs higher than previously. Presumably from the drive and the hot weather. At the end of the drive I left the van for a few hours and checked them again and they were more or less back to their previous pressures. The same thing happened on the way home today but it was the offside tyres that were most affected. Again after a few hours they were more or less back to normal.
My temptation is to not rely on it so much now. The temperature was only up to 20C so what effect does the far hotter European temperatures have and doesn't it make the warning light on the dash being of much less useful?
Here is a humorously written article about summer tyre pressures with some serious advice. I'd be interested to hear from continental members if their pressure warning lights go off all the time.
https://www.cartalk.com/content/summer-driving-tips-6
No problem last year in Italy with temperatures of 35c + and Autostrada and country road driving.
Don’t forget the system works on the ABS sensors determining the Wheel revolution speed. A lower pressure means a smaller circumference and hence a higher rotational speed.
When you calibrate the system it calculates some factor depending on the different pressures Front and Rear and a deviation of about 15% from that triggers the alarm.

So, from your post above was it the Nearside tyres on the way up and Offside on the way back had the higher pressure changes?

Thanks for your response
It was the other side of the vehicle on the way up which I put down to the side facing the sun at the time. But I only thought this after it changed sides on the way back yesterday. My route through mid-Wales is a diagonal straight line most of the way. These tyres haven't been used in hot weather before, we got the van at the end of September and the winter tyres went on at the end of November. They are Continental 215/60R17C Load range D

Does it operate when it reads above and below the set pressures? I suppose if is measuring rotational speed then it must do as the rotational speed must change in both cases. But I can't understand why a relatively low external air temperature, 20C, would set it off when you were at 35C+ last year.
The article suggests that the temperature rises but quite a lot over a journey on hot roads with high air temperature.