Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VWT6.1 Tyre Pressures - 235/55/r17

K

kibondo22

Vehicle
Just browsing
Im confused about tyre pressures....!

Im have 235 / 55 / r17 size tyres

I have direct pressure monitoring on my t6.1 - and have always been keeping to the recommended pressures as indicated on the sticker on the b-pillar / in numbers in brackets in the cockpit (i.e. 3.0 bar / 44 psi front and 2.8 bar / 41 psi when unloaded).

However, this lead to severe wear especially on the shoulders of the front tyres and i just had them replaced.

the garage that fitted them set the pressure at 4.0 bar / 58 psi! - which ive seen other websites also recommending for the same size tyres (e.g. CamperKing)
and searching again for what people use on here - im seeing in many threads recommending as high as 50 psi for the same size 235/55/r17

So are most people finding that the VW recommended pressures on the b-pillar are too low - and its better to err on the higher side...!??!

Run mine at 46 psi.
255/45r18 - Continental Winter Contact.

And at 44psi for 235/60r17 Michelin agilis.

When on motorway I see them reach around 48 to 50psi with the heat generated.

I have direct pressure monitoring on my t6.1 - and have always been keeping to the recommended pressures as indicated on the sticker on the b-pillar / in numbers in brackets in the cockpit (i.e. 3.0 bar / 44 psi front and 2.8 bar / 41 psi when unloaded).

However, this lead to severe wear especially on the shoulders of the front tyres and i just had them replaced.

the garage that fitted them set the pressure at 4.0 bar / 58 psi! - which ive seen other websites also recommending for the same size tyres (e.g. CamperKing)
and searching again for what people use on here - im seeing in many threads recommending as high as 50 psi for the same size 235/55/r17

So are most people finding that the VW recommended pressures on the b-pillar are too low - and its better to err on the higher side...!??!

I trust what’s on the sidewall of the Tyre more than the door sticker. Different tyre’s have different pressures as some have single ply sidewall, some double and some triple. In BFG KO2’s you run a higher pressure than Falken Wildpeaks due to that. 4-4.2 BAR on the BFG vs 3.5 Bar in the Falkens in the same size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sticker on my b-pillar states 42psi rear and 44psi front when unloaded which is what I run them at - increasing the pressures when loaded up.

The 235/55 17 tyres run at lower pressures than the standard van tyres - presuming yours are the XL Extra Load version?

4 season tires are better off with higher pressure. Have had same issue once with michelin crossclimate same size. I always use the max pressure on the sticker or even little more (+3PSI).
Pay attention in summer , pressure indicated on sticker is always at 20°C.(68 degrees Fahrenheit)You will notice that if car is parked tires on the shadow side easily have 3PSI lower than tires on sunny side.

Mine says 54psi or 3.7 bar

I think it also depends how you drive and what roads you are driving on. 4.0 bar is stupidly high in my opinion and would be in danger of reduced contact patch and excessive wear in the middle of the tyre. Also most likely would made the ride quality very poor over bumps. For reference I have run my tyres 235/55/17 Goodyear Vector All Season tyres at the recommended pressures 3.0/2.9 bar (increased to 3.1/3.1 bar when loaded up) and they have worn remarkably evenly and are now about ready to change after three years and 33,000 miles from new. One other thought is whether your van’s tracking and wheel alignment need checking because that can cause excessive wear on tyre edges. I had a Jag a few years back that destroyed front tyres for this reason.

I think it also depends how you drive and what roads you are driving on. 4.0 bar is stupidly high in my opinion and would be in danger of reduced contact patch and excessive wear in the middle of the tyre. Also most likely would made the ride quality very poor over bumps. For reference I have run my tyres 235/55/17 Goodyear Vector All Season tyres at the recommended pressures 3.0/2.9 bar (increased to 3.1/3.1 bar when loaded up) and they have worn remarkably evenly and are now about ready to change after three years and 33,000 miles from new. One other thought is whether your van’s tracking and wheel alignment need checking because that can cause excessive wear on tyre edges. I had a Jag a few years back that destroyed front tyres for this reason.
True, I had a mondeo estate and it suffered from the tyre roar on the rears after 10k miles, as they wore badly on the inside edge. Compounded by the cavernous echo boot

Mine says 54psi or 3.7 bar
Do you mean on the sticker at the pillar ?
I do believe you but please post a photo., I want to see all the numbers on that sticker In your cali.

Last edited:
I trust what’s on the sidewall of the Tyre more than the door sticker. Different tyre’s have different pressures as some have single ply sidewall, some double and some triple. In BFG KO2’s you run a higher pressure than Falken Wildpeaks due to that. 4-4.2 BAR on the BFG vs 3.5 Bar in the Falkens in the same size.

As far as I am aware the pressure shown on the tyre wall is the Maximum pressure for that tyre.
The tyre pressure to use on a vehicle will depend on the load carried on each axle and must not exceed the pressure indicated on the tyre wall.

IMG_2284.jpeg

As far as I am aware the pressure shown on the tyre wall is the Maximum pressure for that tyre.
The tyre pressure to use on a vehicle will depend on the load carried on each axle and must not exceed the pressure indicated on the tyre wall.

View attachment 119643

Yes, we’re saying the same thing with different words.

Yes, we’re saying the same thing with different words.

You're saying the complete opposite.

You say use the pressure marked on the side of the tyre
Others are saying use the pressure on the vans sticker.

The van sticker is what you should be using, if that pressure is higher than on the side of the tyre you have the wrong tyres.

You're saying the complete opposite.

You say use the pressure marked on the side of the tyre
Others are saying use the pressure on the vans sticker.

The van sticker is what you should be using, if that pressure is higher than on the side of the tyre you have the wrong tyres.

Actually no. I’m saying I trust the Tyre value more than the sticker. Certain tyres require higher pressure than others like I mentioned and using the value on the sticker would be too low for that type of Tyre. But hey, you be you! BFG’s have a max value of 4.5 bar. I ran them at 4-4.2. Falken Wildpeaks have a max of 3.5 and I run them at 3.5. The sticker shows much lower at 2.9 which is far too low for those tyres.

Actually no. I’m saying I trust the Tyre value more than the sticker.
But the only value marked on the tyre is the absolute maximum pressure it should be run at. It doesn't tell you the pressure you should use taking into account the weight of the vehicle etc.

So I would say you cannot trust the tyre value at all.

But the only value marked on the tyre is the absolute maximum pressure it should be run at. It doesn't tell you the pressure you should use taking into account the weight of the vehicle etc.

So I would say you cannot trust the tyre value at all.

Every Tyre also has a load rating. I worked at Pirelli for 4 years in Milan. I know what I’m talking about I hope. It all depends on Tyre compounds, how many ply the sidewalls are, etc. the sticker on the van is like assuming every Tyre in the world is identical. Which they are not.

Every Tyre also has a load rating. I worked at Pirelli for 4 years in Milan. I know what I’m talking about I hope. It all depends on Tyre compounds, how many ply the sidewalls are, etc. the sticker on the van is like assuming every Tyre in the world is identical. Which they are not.

But you are saying the one pressure marked on the tyre sidewall is correct and assumes that all vehicles are identical . Which they are not. They are not even the same at both ends of the same van.

I have yet to use a tyre on any vehicle ( apart from a builders wheelbarrow) at the pressure that is marked on the sidewall.

Maybe they do things differently at Pirelli but Michelins web site states

"There are markings on the sidewall of the tyre (MAXLOAD and MAX PRESS) that indicate the maximum load and the maximum pressure of the tyre. However, these are not necessarily the load and pressure values for your vehicle.
To ensure that your tyres perform correctly on your vehicle, you must refer to the inflation pressures recommended by the manufacturer of your vehicle. These can normally be found in your owner's manual or on the sticker in the driver's door or fuel filler cap."

But you are saying the one pressure marked on the tyre sidewall is correct and assumes that all vehicles are identical . Which they are not.

I have yet to use a tyre on any vehicle ( apart from a builders wheelbarrow) at the pressure that is marked on the sidewall.

Maybe they do things differently at Pirelli but Michelins web site states

"There are markings on the sidewall of the tyre (MAXLOAD and MAX PRESS) that indicate the maximum load and the maximum pressure of the tyre. However, these are not necessarily the load and pressure values for your vehicle.
To ensure that your tyres perform correctly on your vehicle, you must refer to the inflation pressures recommended by the manufacturer of your vehicle. These can normally be found in your owner's manual or on the sticker in the driver's door or fuel filler cap."

Not once did I say to run them at max pressure. Example, Cross Climate 2’s come in sevaral variants. The SUV variant has a stronger sidewall. You can lower the pressure a little for a more comfortable ride. With the standard CC2’s you may need more pressure or the Tyre will wear unevenly. Anyway, I’ll show myself the door! No need for pointless debate. I post to help people and hate when these threads become a debate about who’s right. I could care less.

Not once did I say to run them at max pressure.
Perhaps something is lost in translation,

You said you trust the marking on the side wall more than the advice VW give on the door jamb sticker, the only pressure marked on the sidewall is the maximum pressure. What other marking is there that you are trusting?

Perhaps something is lost in translation,

You said you trust the marking on the side wall more than the advice VW give on the door jamb sticker, the only pressure marked on the sidewall is the maximum pressure. What other marking is there that you are trusting?

The van sticker might show a value of 1.9-2.9 bar. A certain Tyre might have a max value of 4.5 bar. Running those at sticker value and they will have low pressure. Therefore I trust the value on the Tyre and adjust accordingly based on load rating, max values, and size. I play with pressure all the time in between seasons as the temps outside change. I have an onboard air compressor which makes adjustments easy.

I understand the point made by Webbah_in_Switzerland . It corresponds to what I have experienced myself with michelin crossclimate tires.
According to what I read at several sources on the internet the pressure recommended on the sticker is easily 15% lower than optimal and determined to give a more comfortable ride. But tire wear and maybe fuel consumption and noise may become worse.
As long as Webbah_in_Switzerland keeps pressure under the max indicated on the tire everything is ok, not?.
VW cannot take into account all manufacturers and tire types, the values on the sticker are just an indication.
By the way the tires of my bike are most of the time at max pressure indicated on the tire. :)

What PSI or BAR pressure would you recommend
For a Michelin Agilis CrossClimate 235/60 r17c with 117 load rating, for a fully loaded 4Motion California Ocean ?

since @Webbah_in_Switzerland mentioned max pressure on tire I became curious about how manufacturers calculate the preferred tire pressure . These are my findings:

Recommended Tire Pressure = (Axle Weight / Tire Maximum Load) * Tire Maximum Pressure
https://drivewyze.com/trucking-calculators/tire-pressure-calculator/

Recommended Tire Pressure = (Axle Weight / Tire Maximum Load)^1,25 * Tire Maximum Pressure
https://camperforum.nl/viewtopic.php?t=8397755 (sorry :dutch language)

you will find more online calculators if you search for 'car tire pressure calculator' :
https://www.auscamping.au/tyre-pressure-calculator-vehicle/

This means weight distribution between front and back is important. and must be known.
This also means that if cali is loaded for holiday max load on rear axle may probaly be reached and if this is the same as the maximum load range of tire max pressure mentioned on tire must be applied.

The whole idea is not only comfortable driving, but also safe driving: the tire pressure determines the surface of the tire in contact with the road and therefore the braking properties. On the other hand low pressure is higher tire wear, higher fuel consumption and maybe different noise .
If you want to know the role of temperature on tire pressure read :
https://www.mathscinotes.com/2014/01/tire-pressure-math/
result: 2% for every 10°F

I hope this may end the debate rising.

I do love a good mass debate :thumb