Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

UK based repair service for VW California Control Panel Display

E

ElectronicEquipmentRepair

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi everyone,

We would like to introduce the services we offer for electronic repairs. Has your VW California Control Panel display got missing lines? We offer a repair service for these displays, with a 10% discount available VIP forum members!

You can see an example of our repair below and more on our website: VW California Display Repair
267725751_100623152490148_5182770781818396642_n.jpg

Please get in touch if you need assistance with your control panel display.

Hi everyone,

We would like to introduce the services we offer for electronic repairs. Has your VW California Control Panel display got missing lines? We offer a repair service for these displays, with a 10% discount available VIP forum members!

You can see an example of our repair below and more on our website: VW California Display Repair
View attachment 87770

Please get in touch if you need assistance with your control panel display.

Welcome.
What price do you charge for this repair please, and turn round speed?

Welcome.
What price do you charge for this repair please, and turn round speed?
Hi jts46,

Thanks for your message.

The display repair service starts at £100 and can be up to £200 at current prices (not including the 10% discount for VIP members), depending on the work that's required to make it fully functional.

Please note that if any of the DIY repair methods that can be found online have been attempted, we make no guarantee that we can carry out the repair within the £200 limit mentioned above. Extra parts can be required, extra labour is often needed to replace the ribbon cable completely.

We will keep you posted about the repair when we receive it from you - we need to have the display unit to evaluate what is needed for the repair.

We can usually turn these around in a few days.

The above outline of prices is applicable for a repair of the common fault, missing horizontal lines of pixels. If there are other issues with the control unit we can quote for additional repairs on a case-by-case basis.

Many thanks,
Ed

Last edited:
Hi jts46,

Thanks for your message.

The display repair service starts at £100 and capped at £200 at current prices (not including the 10% discount for VIP members), depending on the work that's required to make it fully functional.

We will keep you posted about the repair when we receive it from you - we need to have the display unit to evaluate what is needed for the repair.

We can usually turn these around in a few days.

The above outline of prices is applicable for a repair of the common fault, missing horizontal lines of pixels. If there are other issues with the control unit we can quote for additional repairs on a case-by-case basis.

Many thanks,
Ed
Can you also replace the Control Knob, another common problem. Many do a DIY replacement, but some owners aren’t too confident to do it themselves?

Can you also replace the Control Knob, another common problem. Many do a DIY replacement, but some owners aren’t too confident to do it themselves?
Yes, replacing the control knob should be easy, provided the parts are available for us to buy in.
Thanks

Hi,

I'm self employed, not VAT registered.

Thanks
I think you should do well from this site. It’s been a problem for ages that California owners have been sending their units to a company in Europe with no idea when they will get them back plus of course the extra costs because of Brexit.
It may well be worth looking into where you can get the dreaded “knob” in bulk as this broken bit will happen to Every California owner at some point.. Good luck in your venture...

I think you should do well from this site. It’s been a problem for ages that California owners have been sending their units to a company in Europe with no idea when they will get them back plus of course the extra costs because of Brexit.
It may well be worth looking into where you can get the dreaded “knob” in bulk as this broken bit will happen to Every California owner at some point.. Good luck in your venture...
Also the switch that the knob operates. Mine has a tendency to skip when scrolling through the menus. I suspect it’s an electronic fault rather than mechanical as the display jumps back and forwards.

Think you may be onto a winner!

Also the switch that the knob operates. Mine has a tendency to skip when scrolling through the menus. I suspect it’s an electronic fault rather than mechanical as the display jumps back and forwards.

Think you may be onto a winner!

We can replace any of the push buttons, rotary control etc.
Thanks! :)

Is it just the plastic knob that breaks in the case you are describing? It sounds like it's a part that could be 3d printed to avoid buying the whole bezel etc!
Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Is it just the plastic knob that breaks in the case you are describing? It sounds like it's a part that could be 3d printed to avoid buying the whole bezel etc!
Yes it’s a very weak design and someone on here recently did a 3D print of one. As long as it’s stronger than the original it should last for Years. There’s no reason why these shouldn’t be made for very little money.

Yes it’s a very weak design and someone on here recently did a 3D print of one. As long as it’s stronger than the original it should last for Years. There’s no reason why these shouldn’t be made for very little money.
We'll make a 3d model for this soon and print them with a light colour ABS material. Hopefully we can make them a reasonably close match and strong enough to last better than the original. Any part that sticks out of a panel is pretty vulnerable to getting bashed about and I'm not surprised these sometimes break. A number of our repairs in general are replacing damaged controls on weird and wonderful equipment.

We'll make a 3d model for this soon and print them with a light colour ABS material. Hopefully we can make them a reasonably close match and strong enough to last better than the original. Any part that sticks out of a panel is pretty vulnerable to getting bashed about and I'm not surprised these sometimes break. A number of our repairs in general are replacing damaged controls on weird and wonderful equipment.
It’s not the part that sticks out that goes its the little prongs inside the knob, they tend to be very weak and brake very easily
When you first get your van you should be told that you need to rotate the knob very carefully and one click at a time. That way it would last much longer. I know that I treat mine very different to when I first had the van.

I've just sourced a supply of the white flat flexible cables and matching connectors used inside the control units, because these are commonly damaged when people attempt the DIY repair methods that can be found online.

IMG_20220112_114357.jpg

Above you can see an example of a damaged flat flexible cable connector, where the cable clip has completely separated from the connector. This requires completely replacing.

IMG_20220112_115520.jpg

Replaced connector sits flat on the PCB and will make good contact with the ribbon cable.

We can now replace these parts if they are damaged, at an additional cost, so we can offer a complete repair of units where DIY repairs have been attempted.

The LCD ribbon also is very easily damaged. The DIY method, while initially appealing for cost savings, often causes further damage and increases the cost of making an effective repair in cases where the LCD ribbon is damaged.

IMG_20220110_145153.jpg

In the photo above you can see an example of the LCD ribbon which has been damaged by heating. This makes our lower cost repairs impossible as we need to fully replace this ribbon.

We also now stock the fascia and control knob, as these are also commonly needed replacement items.

I hope this information is useful to someone.

Please get in touch for a quote if you have issues with your control unit/display/control knob.

Last edited:
When I fitted a new knob I didn’t take out the ribbons, it made the job much easier.
That's probably a good option when replacing just the control knob.
I'm not sure if the damage to the connectors was caused by unplugging the ribbons in this particular unit, but may have happened when separating the case - it looks like the two halves were pulled apart and stress was put on the connectors and ribbons. The plastic front and back coating of the ribbons were parting at the ends and the conductors were a bit bent.

Hi here is an example of a failed control knob I recently replaced, may be of some assitance

IMG_5818.jpg

Huge thankyou to Ed for repairing my control unit, highly recommend him for anyone with ANY control unit issues. Ed kept me regularly informed of all the progress including pictures, and all work was carried out very quickly! The unit was assessed as soon as Ed received it, and Ed told me what was needed and quoted before any work took place. My the screen on my unit was barely readable and was more guess work finding the roof control than using the menu, but its come back like a brand new unit!! My unit needed quite a bit more work than the usual LCD repair due to my DIY attempt after reading a how to on here. But its come back works perfectly and looks like new!
I decided to get this unit replaced even though I had forked out for a brand new unit because I found the fridge control on the old unit is a lot better than the new unit. So ill keep the new unit as spare for now.

Thanks again Ed! Amazing Job highly recommended!

Thats very useful thanks... Mine needs sorting out as it has numerous issues. The rotary control 'jumps' and will not hold a position on a selection making it hard to access the menus, the illumination has stopped working on the direct buttons and now the heater button has packed up! Hopefully this can all be sorted....