Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

UK based repair service for VW California Control Panel Display

Hi Pete,

Prices are quoted depending on the work that needs to be done. Some repairs are turned around needing no parts at all. Others require replacement parts, others have rotary controls replaced at the same time etc. If you are interested in getting your control unit repaired, please send some photos and describe the issue and we can give you an estimate. Of course, only an estimate is possible remotely, quote is not, because I have to examine the problem first hand to know for sure what will fix it. Any parts from VW and other suppliers can be a significant part of the cost.

Thanks,
Ed
I was just wondering how much it cost Phil to have his unit repaired considering he had paid to have it fixed twice before....

Another happy repair !

If you've seen the dreaded lines appear across your control panel, you'll have searched numerous forums for repair options (and even DIY fixes), you'll also have seen the huge prices being quoted for new units!

I've had the screen problems appear over the past couple of years, and have had the control panel repaired twice by Verotronics. Very happy with the service that they provided, but the screen has had lines appear for the 3rd time. I, therefore, needed to find a more permanent fix. I was looking at simply replacing the panel (though saw prices of £850+ for a new control panel), when I, thankfully, read about Ed and his UK repair option - https://ee-repair.com/vw-california-control-panel-lcd

I have given it a go, and am delighted with how easy it was to get a working control panel back. Ed provided really clear photos upon receipt and of the tests that he has performed to diagnose the faults - made worse by the previous fixes. Replacement parts sourced and repair complete, I once again received photos of the unit now working - and looking brand new (for a fraction of the cost of a new unit!).

I never comment in forums online, but just had to endorse Ed as I have been blown away by his service and it needs to get some more profile.
Just wondering where you heard of this company from as you’ve only been on the California forum for 1 day.

Ozzy Pete relax please.. and take a breather..
It’s becoming obvious that Ed at Electronic Equipment Repair is really competent at what he does or should I say what they do.
If I could add my twopenneth, I thought I had wreaked mine last month whilst removing it, I pulled the front off and one of the two ribbons. It has had a previous repair from our friends in Holland a couple of years ago but some of the pixels had started to escape.
Ed not only repaired my unit in a timely manner but also gave me options in some preventative work. All this and the costs were very reasonable. Thanks Ed at EER!
If all service providers were this professional us California owners would have a lot less grey hair. I of course refer to the constant chatter I read on here of the VW main dealer servicing and repair.
So all, (I’m looking at you Ozzy Pete as well) , get your displays sent to EER down there on the south coast in confidence.. It’s a competent, professional and reliable service.

Thanks,
Phil.

Ozzy Pete relax please.. and take a breather..
It’s becoming obvious that Ed at Electronic Equipment Repair is really competent at what he does or should I say what they do.
If I could add my twopenneth, I thought I had wreaked mine last month whilst removing it, I pulled the front off and one of the two ribbons. It has had a previous repair from our friends in Holland a couple of years ago but some of the pixels had started to escape.
Ed not only repaired my unit in a timely manner but also gave me options in some preventative work. All this and the costs were very reasonable. Thanks Ed at EER!
If all service providers were this professional us California owners would have a lot less grey hair. I of course refer to the constant chatter I read on here of the VW main dealer servicing and repair.
So all, (I’m looking at you Ozzy Pete as well) , get your displays sent to EER down there on the south coast in confidence.. It’s a competent, professional and reliable service.

Thanks,
Phil.
All I am asking is the Anyone that has had a repair done tell the forum how much it cost them to have the repair done. So we can all see the sort of price you know it’s going to cost you. Not one single person who has had a repair has said how much it cost them. We know it’s £100 per hour or £79.99 for anything over 10 minutes.
All I get is the Dutch company is being slated for doing lousy repairs, that’s not really fair.
So if anyone has had a long lasting successful repair what was the total cost and what repair was done.

£8.75 to send insured up to £500.
£135 labour to fix. £150 for non-club member.
£50 for new bezel, buttons and knob.
£8.75 to send it back.

Very pleased with the whole process.

Why direct that at me. I did the same repair in an hour, cost me
£35 for the parts from eBay..
I’m Happy now!!!.
You seem to have misunderstood. The repairs included also fixing the LCD issues at the same time as changing the bezel and control knob. We have the ability to bench test the control unit, getting the display working fully and not using the dubious method of packing the LCD ribbon which risks damaging the LCD and even if that method works initially it seems to degrade again in most cases.

Why direct that at me. I did the same repair in an hour, cost me
£35 for the parts from eBay..
I’m Happy now!!!.
Well, good for you. I presume that your insistent questioning of the price of other's repairs was to find out how much you had saved with your D.I.Y.

Another huge thumbs up for the service provided by Ed at electronic equipment repair. Control unit sent Thursday, received and repaired by Ed on Friday with great communication. Received back and refitted Tuesday.
If only all companies were this good.

Also the switch that the knob operates. Mine has a tendency to skip when scrolling through the menus. I suspect it’s an electronic fault rather than mechanical as the display jumps back and forwards.

Think you may be onto a winner!
Hi Arun, Did you ever find a solution to why your control panel skips when scrolling through the menus? Mine does the same thing, despite having replaced the knob and the input decoder it connects to. I was looking for a good used unit but am considering the cost of just buying a new one. I own one of two Californias in western Canada, so no local help sources. Doug C.

Hi Arun, Did you ever find a solution to why your control panel skips when scrolling through the menus? Mine does the same thing, despite having replaced the knob and the input decoder it connects to. I was looking for a good used unit but am considering the cost of just buying a new one. I own one of two Californias in western Canada, so no local help sources. Doug C.
Hi Doug,

The skipping in menus is caused by the rotary encoder unit that the plastic knob sits on. If replacing the rotary encoder hasn't fixed the issue I would guess there's cracked capacitors. I can try and look into this for you and report back.

Thanks,
Ed

Hi Doug,

The skipping in menus is caused by the rotary encoder unit that the plastic knob sits on. If replacing the rotary encoder hasn't fixed the issue I would guess there's cracked capacitors. I can try and look into this for you and report back.

Thanks,
Ed
Thank you, Ed. I had a new encoder installed and knob and still have the problem of skipping selections. Given that the unit itself is now 17 years old (although the vehicle is in excellent condition), my thinking is to bite the bullet and purchase new as who knows where some of these special parts will be - if available - in another 5 years. Capacitors, in my experience, do seem to have a limited life.

Thank you, Ed. I had a new encoder installed and knob and still have the problem of skipping selections. Given that the unit itself is now 17 years old (although the vehicle is in excellent condition), my thinking is to bite the bullet and purchase new as who knows where some of these special parts will be - if available - in another 5 years. Capacitors, in my experience, do seem to have a limited life.
Hi Doug,

Just out of interest, does it skip up/down a couple of menu items when the control is just on the edge of clicking to the next position? It might be that the issue can be solved with extra capacitors. Most of the caps used in these are surface mount ceramic type, shouldn't degrade with age but can crack if the board is flexed. It's probably not worthwhile sending the unit to us from Canada, as two way shipping and the possibility of customs duties will probably end up being much more than the repair costs unfortunately. If I come up with a solution I will let you know.

Thanks,
Ed

Hi Doug,

Just out of interest, does it skip up/down a couple of menu items when the control is just on the edge of clicking to the next position? It might be that the issue can be solved with extra capacitors. Most of the caps used in these are surface mount ceramic type, shouldn't degrade with age but can crack if the board is flexed. It's probably not worthwhile sending the unit to us from Canada, as two way shipping and the possibility of customs duties will probably end up being much more than the repair costs unfortunately. If I come up with a solution I will let you know.

Thanks,
Ed
Yes, Ed, that generally describes the problems I'm having. I don't believe that the board was distorted and it hadn't been out before my acquiring the van in late 2020. I had the encoder professionally replaced by a local 'lectronic shop, but the skipping remains. Often i can spend minutes trying desperately to get a particular function to come up. It simply doesn't scroll evenly and attempting operations such as setting the time is hopeless, as is trying to achieve level 6 for the fridge unit - it bobbles around 7 to 8 and then miraculously (infrequently) finds 6. I would be happier with a 5, but don't know if such is possible.

In any case, I'm made a decision to go for a full replacement unit. Will keep the old one around on a shelf just in case a remedy should one day arise. Cheers, Doug

When I fitted a new knob I didn’t take out the ribbons, it made the job much easier.
Ditto...Removing the ribbon is completely unnecessary. systematic, careful handling is all that is required.
See my review on Campervanbits site.
Good to know though that a degraded display panel is fixable.

Hi there. Are you still around doing repairs to the control unit? Or control knob has just started not working correctly (T5.1 California SE). Do you have spares in stock, if so what would be your turnaround time and estimated cost?
Many thanks in anticipation. Adrian

Hi there. Are you still around doing repairs to the control unit? Or control knob has just started not working correctly (T5.1 California SE). Do you have spares in stock, if so what would be your turnaround time and estimated cost?
Many thanks in anticipation. Adrian
Just a tip. Unless you use the “Reply” button on a post made by the person you wish to contact, they will not receive a Notification and may not see your post unless they constantly check this thread.

You can contact the Repair Company here

Or start a Private Conversation by clicking on their Avatar/Icon and select Start Conversation.

Hi everyone,

We would like to introduce the services we offer for electronic repairs. Has your VW California Control Panel display got missing lines? We offer a repair service for these displays, with a 10% discount available VIP forum members!

You can see an example of our repair below and more on our website: VW California Display Repair
View attachment 87770

Please get in touch if you need assistance with your control panel display.
Hi how can I get in touch with you?, where are you based in the Uk?, I have a control panel with missing lines otherwise working correctly, many thanks Janno