Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Uncomfortable Comfort Mattress

The only problem is as far as I can tell is the SE 5.1 and Ocean 6.0 seem to be the same and the Ocean 6.1 is different. The advert doesn’t say which one it will and won’t fit. Prices seem to be about VW comfort mattress prices.
Realise that ad hasn't been updated, but this one suggests they T5 and T6 will fit a 6.1. Perhaps there will be a few cm overhang at the bottom, but no problem?
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/p...nia-seocean-memory-foam-cabin-mattress-topper

We got a 6.1 California Ocean this year and it came with the two-folding comfort mattress for downstairs. Of course, the kids have bagsied the roof so we are down below. I find it to be pretty uncomfortable. It seems to have a bump in it around the lower back. Anyone else experienced this? Anyone suggest any alternatives?
I agree it’s uncomfortable we bought douvlays, expensive but very comfortable

Sea to Summit self inflating mattress. They make a size ("campervan") which fits the Cali perfectly.
Agree totally! We found the same thing and after much research bought this mattress. Definitely worth the money as very comfortable for 2 adults

I’ve been using the Sea to Summit ‘campervan’ mattress for a couple of months now. Yes, it is comfortable (we actually use it on top of the VW comfort mattress) but…a few things to note. It takes maybe 5-10 mins to fully inflate so if you’re stuck inside the van while you’re waiting for it to inflate then it’s a bit awkward as obviously you can’t lie on it until it’s ready to use. Deflating - don’t even try to roll it up to get the air out - get a deflator pump or you’ll be crawling around on the bed for ages before it’ll fit back in the bag. So yes it’s comfortable but a lot of hassle to actually use - or at least that’s what we’ve found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sadly this is why I had to give up using one. So glad someone else finds the same and has expressed the other side of using these.

The best comfort I found for the downstairs bed was:

Dunelm gel fusion topper with thickest Zonesleeper over the gel fusion.

That was for the Beach, unfortunately can’t get a gel fusion to fit the Ocean bed…:confused:

Our 2019 Ocean just came with the shelf topper which my husband, sleeping downstairs, thought was ‘bearable’ but not great.I guess with the seats down it was at least level. We purchased the VW Comfort mattress (which now makes the shelf topper redundant) and he has a great comfortable sleep on it. I’m surprised that so many on the forum find it inadequate and need to supplement it with additional ‘toppers’. I guess it’s very subjective as are home bed mattresses. Having said that I haven’t slept downstairs yet, but find the upstairs mattress more than adequate too. Our black lab seems to find downstairs also pretty comfy.

Sadly this is why I had to give up using one. So glad someone else finds the same and has expressed the other side of using these.
I agree it is a faff to deflate the S2S mattress to put back into its bag. Instead, I bought a garden chair bag that is a perfect fit for the rear shelf; use a rechargeable mini pump (smaller than a baked bean can); fold the mattress into three and store in the bag with pillow and duvet. Takes up minimal room on the shelf and looks really neat.

Our 2019 Ocean just came with the shelf topper which my husband, sleeping downstairs, thought was ‘bearable’ but not great.I guess with the seats down it was at least level. We purchased the VW Comfort mattress (which now makes the shelf topper redundant) and he has a great comfortable sleep on it. I’m surprised that so many on the forum find it inadequate and need to supplement it with additional ‘toppers’. I guess it’s very subjective as are home bed mattresses. Having said that I haven’t slept downstairs yet, but find the upstairs mattress more than adequate too. Our black lab seems to find downstairs also pretty comfy.
As stated earlier the T6.1 bed 7 mattress are fundamentally different than those on the T6 from 2019. The whole thing is much thinner.

I agree it is a faff to deflate the S2S mattress to put back into its bag. Instead, I bought a garden chair bag that is a perfect fit for the rear shelf; use a rechargeable mini pump (smaller than a baked bean can); fold the mattress into three and store in the bag with pillow and duvet. Takes up minimal room on the shelf and looks really neat.
Do you have a link for the bag ...

Do you have a link for the bag ...
This is the one I bought but it is sold out now. But the link shows the dimensions and I am sure you can get similar from elsewhere. This bag will take the S2S mattress folded in 3 with it minimally deflated; which is handy when you are moving on after one night each time.

I didnt get mine for a duvet and pillows/ blow up mattess etc, but I reckon this would still work for that: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N2HPFHA/?tag=eliteelect-21

I bought it because it was an absolutely perfect fit for the T6 comfort matress and a perfect fit in the rear parcel shelf of the Cali. My matress with the protector goes in there and it keeps it clean when not camping. Also makes it much easier to pull out and store in the garage without getting it durty when I need to turn the Cali into 'van mode' to move daughter to/from uni or transport other stuff.

Turf the kids out into a tent or curtained awning and reclaim the upstairs to the rightful owners!

We bought a S2S mattress and used it during the summer. It was a pain in the neck to deflate and re-inflate compared to the 'comfort mattress'. Second summer trip we resorted to the comfort mattress and its so much easier to fold up and get going in the morning. Probably not ultimately as comfortable but swap that for ease of use.

We use TWO Brandrups.
Yes takes up a lot of space on the back shelf.
Yes they are expensive.
Fold up quickly in three sections. Instant bed making. Keep one with sheet on, and one with a protective cover on.
But like a Cali, they are both German quality products. What price do you put on a good nights sleep?

Sea to Summit self inflating mattress. They make a size ("campervan") which fits the Cali perfectly.
Sea to summit is fantastic we put a zone sleep on top of it and it’s more comfortable than our bed at home. We don’t put the sea to summit in its bag, we fold the zonesleep (see club shop) into 3 and deflate the sea to summit buy rolling it with the valve open and lying on it. Takes a couple of minutes to do this whole folding deflate process. Then fold the sea to summit over the zone sleep, makes a thin storage and protecting the zone sleep. During periods of longer no use, it’s all fits into a camper large chair bag. Point is it takes up very little space on the back as it’s all folded flat on the back shelf. To inflate we use a small vango pump that plugs into the 12 volt socket, takes 15 seconds to inflate. Yes it’s a bit more work than using a cushion system, but the two minutes it takes to set up and take down is very worth it to have a very comfortable bed

Do you have a link to the pump? Ta

Back