Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Uncomfortable Comfort Mattress

Morsels

Morsels

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
We got a 6.1 California Ocean this year and it came with the two-folding comfort mattress for downstairs. Of course, the kids have bagsied the roof so we are down below. I find it to be pretty uncomfortable. It seems to have a bump in it around the lower back. Anyone else experienced this? Anyone suggest any alternatives?

Sea to Summit self inflating mattress. They make a size ("campervan") which fits the Cali perfectly.

Sea to Summit self inflating mattress. They make a size ("campervan") which fits the Cali perfectly.

I’ve been using the Sea to Summit ‘campervan’ mattress for a couple of months now. Yes, it is comfortable (we actually use it on top of the VW comfort mattress) but…a few things to note. It takes maybe 5-10 mins to fully inflate so if you’re stuck inside the van while you’re waiting for it to inflate then it’s a bit awkward as obviously you can’t lie on it until it’s ready to use. Deflating - don’t even try to roll it up to get the air out - get a deflator pump or you’ll be crawling around on the bed for ages before it’ll fit back in the bag. So yes it’s comfortable but a lot of hassle to actually use - or at least that’s what we’ve found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We kept our old Brandrup I extend its a softer foam and about 3 times thicker than the so called comfort mat. It folds in exactly the same way to sit neatly on the rear shelf.

We got a 6.1 California Ocean this year and it came with the two-folding comfort mattress for downstairs. Of course, the kids have bagsied the roof so we are down below. I find it to be pretty uncomfortable. It seems to have a bump in it around the lower back. Anyone else experienced this? Anyone suggest any alternatives?
Have you got the rear racking that can be altered in height in the right setting? You could have it too high and it won’t lay Level. We have ours high so we can get extra in the back but it wouldn’t be any good to sleep on.

Have you got the rear racking that can be altered in height in the right setting? You could have it too high and it won’t lay Level. We have ours high so we can get extra in the back but it wouldn’t be any good to sleep on.
There is no higher adjustment on a T6.1, the small rear pad plus the shelf is completely level with the folded down bench.

I’ve been using the Sea to Summit ‘campervan’ mattress for a couple of months now. Yes, it is comfortable (we actually use it on top of the VW comfort mattress) but…a few things to note. It takes maybe 5-10 mins to fully inflate so if you’re stuck inside the van while you’re waiting for it to inflate then it’s a bit awkward as obviously you can’t lie on it until it’s ready to use. Deflating - don’t even try to roll it up to get the air out - get a deflator pump or you’ll be crawling around on the bed for ages before it’ll fit back in the bag. So yes it’s comfortable but a lot of hassle to actually use - or at least that’s what we’ve found.

We use the Sea to Summit on it's own.

We are a family of four so Mrs Subthree takes the kids to the wash block whilst I get the van ready for sleeping. We leave the S2S folded in thirds on the rear shelf - I haven't even attempted to get it back in the original bag! Unfold the mattress and leave for a few minutes whilst getting upstairs sorted. Then use the S2S pump stuff sack to inflate the mattress so it's nice and firm.

The following morning we fold it into thirds whilst both of us kneel on the mat. Takes one minute. For a very comfortable sleep well worth it IMHO.

That would be my reservation too.
Not sure about the faff, inflating and deflating.
Probably raise a few eyebrows if wild camping when the pumps starts up :D

Yes we do have that but it is set correctly.

Yes we do have that but it is set correctly.
So the 6.1 has the adjustable rear bed? It’s moves about 75mm up and down. We have the 5.1 and when it lays flat with the comfort mattress you can’t feel anything at all but when it’s on the wrong setting it’s absolutely awful.

So the 6.1 has the adjustable rear bed? It’s moves about 75mm up and down. We have the 5.1 and when it lays flat with the comfort mattress you can’t feel anything at all but when it’s on the wrong setting it’s absolutely awful.
Maybe I misunderstood you - ours doesn't do this (to my knowledge).

If yours is a T6.1 it’s a solid board that raises up at the rear only, on old vans it’s a metal grid that you can move to two different height settings.

Are you using the small mattress that fits just the rear board as well as the comfort mattress?

So NO adjustment on the rear bed? Something doesn’t seem right.
Also with our comfort mattress it folds into 3, you say yours folds into 2. Ours folds along the whole length of the bed. Maybe they have just changed the design completely.

Genuine Vw comfort mattress folds in 3 there should be one fold at the joint between the rear deck and the top of the bench and an other at the join between the seat base and back.

I bought a Sea to Summit mattress which had to go back because it had a tiny puncture, but it was good enough for me to tell that it was really very comfortable. I haven't replaced it though, because of the faff factor mentioned above. I really like being able to just pull the mattress over and you're done. I've got a thin (2cm?) cheap memory foam topper on my 'comfort' mattress at the moment which I cut to size and makes it much more comfortable. It's thin enough to just fold up with the mattress, but it's a bit clunky, so I have bought a second hand Comfortz memory foam topper (originally from the club shop) to replace the lot. I'll pick that up at the weekend and let you know what I think...

Had a rental T6.1 and the downstairs matress is awful. I never understood people complaining about the T6 comfort mattress because we find it perfect and no need for a topper. But the T6.1 version is so much thinner and its almost like you dont have a mattress at all. The rear is a new design, solid board that only sits at one height, level with the seats, because its designed to tilt so that you can sit up in bed that the height adjustment was one thing they had to sacrifice for that. T6.1 just throw the mattress away and get a Duvalay or Sea to Summit or similar.

Had a rental T6.1 and the downstairs matress is awful. I never understood people complaining about the T6 comfort mattress because we find it perfect and no need for a topper. But the T6.1 version is so much thinner and its almost like you dont have a mattress at all. The rear is a new design, solid board that only sits at one height, level with the seats, because its designed to tilt so that you can sit up in bed that the height adjustment was one thing they had to sacrifice for that. T6.1 just throw the mattress away and get a Duvalay or Sea to Summit or similar.
That answers all the questions I think. It looks like VW had gone backwards with the 6.1 version.
All I know is the 5.1 is EXTREMELY comfortable.

The camper van Sea to Summit mattress seems to out of stock everywhere.

We purchased the below , made to measure , very please we went for the 2” one , just rolls up with a double duvet , which is actually 2 duvets winter on top summer on bottom, change over when needed

Airflow

2” £168.50

3” £212.50

4” £256.50

Last edited:
The only problem is as far as I can tell is the SE 5.1 and Ocean 6.0 seem to be the same and the Ocean 6.1 is different. The advert doesn’t say which one it will and won’t fit. Prices seem to be about VW comfort mattress prices.
Yeah - the T6.1 is around 8cm shorter bed as I understand it - rear shelf was shortened to provide more room in the middle when seats are up (because they now go further backwards) and allow better access to cupboards. A flat T6 mattress is supposed to be fine in the 6.1, it just overhangs a little - many people dont seem to be bothered by that.

Yeah - the T6.1 is around 8cm shorter bed as I understand it - rear shelf was shortened to provide more room in the middle when seats are up (because they now go further backwards) and allow better access to cupboards. A flat T6 mattress is supposed to be fine in the 6.1, it just overhangs a little - many people dont seem to be bothered by that.
Personally I think I prefer the extra room in the back as we use every mm of space but I suppose if we got the 6.1 (probably a 7.0 ) by the time you get it delivered so have no idea what dimensions that will be. You make do with what you have.

Back