Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Location of mains powered battery charger fuse

Gordon J

Gordon J

VIP Member
Hello Everybody ,

My first posting .....T6 having problems with the mains powered battery charger , it is not charging the leisure batteries .

The control panel shows the leisure batteries taking charge from the alternator when the engine is running but the control panel does not indicate charging whilst hooked up and in fact the battery % slowly reduces when hooked up , so there is no doubt the leisure batteries are not being charged during hook up .

When hooked up there is mains power to the mains socket behind the passenger seat . The manual suggests changing the battery charger fuse .... which it says is a green 30 amp fuse in position “16 “ under the front passenger seat ....

The arrangement of fuses under the front passenger seat is nothing like as described in the manual ... but no matter there were 3 green 30 amp fuses ...I inspected them all , they were all intact

Any help much appreciated

Many thanks Gordon

Plug fallen out of charger.
Open the cover at the bottom of the wardrobe behind the rear seats and just above the second battery you will see the charger, on the left side is a “kettle lead” that probably needs pushing in.
47F3A21E-879B-4ED0-8348-471A1B4FB086.jpeg

As @Loz has said above. Very common problem as the Dealers do not check this on the PDI, in fact I don't think they check anything " California " related when doing the PDI ( Roof,Fridge,Parking Heater, Water Supply,Gas Cooker, Leisure Electrics ) only Basic Vehicle functions.:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

704F1355-FF8A-4C1D-82BD-90ED90877611.jpeg

Brilliant !

Now all Charging tickey boo

Many thanks for the advice and also for such a speedy reply . I had searched the old forum threads high and low looking for the answer . The charger had previously worked so I imagined it was a blown fuse , I was very surprised to find how slack the “ kettle “ fitting connection was / still is but simple fix if it happens again

Thanks again G

Ps I have a Quooker rather than a kettle a home ... altogether much better but can’t see one of those ever making the Cali extras list .....

This is the answer, we use them in data centres to stop the problem on servers etc.
upload_2018-2-22_17-4-37.png

I am planning to place a minimum order and sell them for a £1 at meets...

Hi all
I’ve put this here because it’s battery charger related, This weekend just gone i was at a event parked up in a hot field, The fridge had been running on the battery’s for 3 days, Display showed 12.4 volts which is fine, However I had my Honda pure sine wave inverter generator with me so I plugged in to just boost my battery’s, as normal the display showed the van was on hook up, a few hours later I was just getting some drinks out of the fridge and glanced up at the display panel and noticed it was now showing the battery icon instead of the mains plug symbol,
I checked the kitchen plug had mains power and all ok,
Unfortunately my charger is fitted to the bottom of the fridge so gets extra heat generated by the fridge compressor, (Bad design) I didn’t have time to start a in depth diagnoses but I pulled the IEC (Kettle) plug out of the charger and it had a perfect 240 volt supply, so plugged it back in and checked for a DC volts output from the charger and there was nothing so I assumed the charger had died,
Taking a close look at where the IEC plug pushes in I noticed there is a very discreet fuse holder, it’s very flush looking, So I pulled it out and it was blown, This is a slow blow 2amp 250V glass fuse,These are a kind of coil type fuse a little like a light bulb element, So I’ve now ordered some that should arrive at the end of the week,
I’m hoping that the fuse has blown from a combination of old age (12 years) and a hot charger due to a hot van and a fridge working overtime because of the weather,
My point is I’ve never heard of this fuse mentioned on the forum and no mention of it in the owners manual,
I’m hoping there isn’t a internal fault with the charger, I can get a new genuine VW charger for £305 I would fit it in a cooler location maybe where the later ones are,

Or if it is toast I would possibly put the money towards a solar installation and forget mains charging,

C4555226-C358-447C-BE4F-9458F2FB762B.jpeg

245D6002-1344-40DA-8BD9-3831BF1D74AF.jpeg

Hi all
I’ve put this here because it’s battery charger related, This weekend just gone i was at a event parked up in a hot field, The fridge had been running on the battery’s for 3 days, Display showed 12.4 volts which is fine, However I had my Honda pure sine wave inverter generator with me so I plugged in to just boost my battery’s, as normal the display showed the van was on hook up, a few hours later I was just getting some drinks out of the fridge and glanced up at the display panel and noticed it was now showing the battery icon instead of the mains plug symbol,
Unfortunately my charger is fitted to the bottom of the fridge so gets extra heat generated by the fridge compressor, (Bad design) I didn’t have time to start a in depth diagnoses but I pulled the IEC (Kettle) plug out of the charger and it had a perfect 240 volt supply, so plugged it back in and checked for a DC volts output from the charger and there was nothing so I assumed the charger had died,
Taking a close look at where the IEC plug pushes in I noticed there is a very discreet fuse holder, it’s very flush looking, So I pulled it out and it was blown, This is a slow blow 2amp 250V glass fuse,These are a kind of coil type fuse a little like a light bulb element, So I’ve now ordered some that should arrive at the end of the week,
I’m hoping that the fuse has blown from a combination of old age (12 years) and a hot charger due to a hot van and a fridge working overtime because of the weather,
My point is I’ve never heard of this fuse mentioned on the forum and no mention of it in the owners manual,
I’m hoping there isn’t a internal fault with the charger, I can get a new genuine VW charger for £305 I would fit it in a cooler location maybe where the later ones are,

Or if it is toast I would possibly put the money towards a solar installation and forget mains charging,

View attachment 50479

View attachment 50480
Very interesting. Always wondered why the Charger wasn't fused. There are 2 on eBay at present. 2nd Hand but a lot cheaper than VW New.

I did see those WG.
I also wonder how many of those chargers have been replaced because that fuse had been overlooked
I should get my fuse in a couple of days so time will tell,
I’m almost definitely going to go the solar route anyway, it would allow me to leave my genny at home on weekends that I’m racing,Because room is tight with all my kit, the wife and dog,

I did see those WG.
I also wonder how many of those chargers have been replaced because that fuse had been overlooked
I should get my fuse in a couple of days so time will tell,
I’m almost definitely going to go the solar route anyway, it would allow me to leave my genny at home on weekends that I’m racing,Because room is tight with all my kit, the wife and dog,
I quit agree with you. I very much doubt if many Dealership technicians are aware of the fuse and just replace the Charger.
I wonder if @VW Guru is aware?

Very interesting. Always wondered why the Charger wasn't fused. There are 2 on eBay at present. 2nd Hand but a lot cheaper than VW New.

[/QUOTE

We also saw the above on eBay.

Can you tell me where does the plastic connector on the back of the VW charger connect to in the van? Is it suitable for a T5 Beach.

Reason for asking is that we are having hookup fitted to our Beach (already has factory fitted leisure battery under the seat & split charge) - but our recommended fitter can’t fit us in to install the hookup until Jan 2020 at the moment!

In the meantime I want to fit a battery charger, hidden under passenger seat that would be plugged into our portable hookup / consumer unit coming thru the passenger side window.

Is there a way of simply plugging the VW charger into exisitng wiring under the seat, and then plugging the 240v kettle lead into the 240v socket? If not will get a CTek charger (or similar) and Connect direct to the leisure battery terminal.

Passenger seat wiring:

4AFFB1CB-2C32-4658-9C9D-79EEFBA12BC3.jpeg

Any advice greatly appreciated!

The SE/Ocean Mains Battery Charger plugs into the Kitchen wiring loom but on the Beach it would just be wired onto the Leisure Battery.
Personally I would get a good quality Smart Charger, a CTek or equivalent, especially if it had some indicator of Battery status that could be consulted in use.

A4285D8B-9FBD-4082-8269-1DA3E616D657.jpeg

Socket 4 takes the plug on the SE/Ocean Charger.

I quit agree with you. I very much doubt if many Dealership technicians are aware of the fuse and just replace the Charger.
I wonder if @VW Guru is aware?
Hi yes I’m aware of this fuse I have replaced many it’s normally caused by a voltage spike when the charger kicks in.

Ok fuses arrived, Fitted and blew instantly,
So disconnected the DC charge wires out of the charger, So it’s now stand alone, New fuse and instant blow, So 100% a internal fault with the charger,
So should I fit a new charger and relocate it somewhere cooler, or put the money towards a solar install,
Will 200W of solar keep my battery’s in good health over the winter while my Cali is parked at home, it’s parking spot is south facing, Because normally I would plug it into mains each month,
Has anyone here that’s got solar now made charging from mains a thing of the past,

Just a note on my generator, it’s a pure sine wave inverter Honda, I run computers and other delicate electronics from it and the Cali, and have for years, I’m always off grid with my racing and most of the motor homes that don’t have solar run generators,

I Guess I could also wire in a C tek But I imagine it wouldn’t have the signal wire to the control panel to show it’s on mains charge

Last edited:
So disconnected the DC charge wires out of the charger, So it’s now stand alone, New fuse and instant blow, So 100% a internal fault with the charger,
So should I fit a new charger and relocate it somewhere cooler, or put the money towards a solar install,
Will 200W of solar keep my battery’s in good health over the winter while my Cali is parked at home, it’s parking spot is south facing, Because normally I would plug it into mains each month,
Has anyone here that’s got solar now made charging from mains a thing of the past,

Just a note on my generator, it’s a pure sine wave inverter Honda, I run computers and other delicate electronics from it and the Cali, and have for years, I’m always off grid with my racing and most of the motor homes that don’t have solar run generators,

I Guess I could also wire in a C tek But I imagine it wouldn’t have the signal wire to the control panel to show it’s on mains charge
I have a 100w Solar Panel and this keeps the Leisure Batteries charged during winter, parked on drive and South facing, but I do use the mains charger to cool down the fridge pre-trip.
Myself, I would go for Solar and the 2nd hand charger and replace. The old one did last 10+ years.

What has been done in the past is cut a vent hole at the top of the L hand kitchen wall and fitting a 12v computer fan in the lower L hand kitchen wall that comes on with the Mains Charger.

That’s a good point WG
I’m just thinking of what route I’m going with it all, There are a few posts on here stating charger being replaced, but as you pointed out my old charger lasted 12 years,

Like you I power up from mains the day before I fill my fridge

I have a 100w Solar Panel and this keeps the Leisure Batteries charged during winter, parked on drive and South facing, but I do use the mains charger to cool down the fridge pre-trip.
Myself, I would go for Solar and the 2nd hand charger and replace. The old one did last 10+ years.
Hi my solar panels don't seem to keep my batteries charged...they slowly go down over a period of weeks to 50% even when we have sun...so I think I will check the fuze on the battery at the back of the van (T5 Cali 2009)...the reading on the Victron says its on float and at 12.7v but the vw display says 50% !!!

Reactions: Loz
Hi all

View attachment 50479

View attachment 50480
Just wondering how you got the fuse out. I have tried a screwdriver but it is very snug. I have the same problem and thanks for the tip, completely missed the fuse but it does have a fuse symbol marked on it. Mine is an 08 so the charger is slung under the fridge above the compressor

IMG_3785.jpeg

When you pull the mains plug out, it will give you room to get a couple of small screwdrivers or picks top and bottom of the fuse holder, Then just evenly ease it out,
It will definitely come out,

OK thanks, does anyone know if this 08 charger is ok for AGM batteries?

OK thanks, does anyone know if this 08 charger is ok for AGM batteries?
Yes. As far as I am aware VW normally fitted AGM Leisure Batteries on the T5 onwards.

Thanks. I got the fuse out and unfortunately it is good.. So… looks like a new charger, anyone got any contacts in the N Surrey area? Beyond my capabilities to fit a new charger. My local VW Cali dealer (Cordwallis Heathrow) wanted £160 just to look at the van

Thanks. I got the fuse out and unfortunately it is good.. So… looks like a new charger, anyone got any contacts in the N Surrey area? Beyond my capabilities to fit a new charger. My local VW Cali dealer (Cordwallis Heathrow) wanted £160 just to look at the van
If that is the VW Diagnostic charge then that should be waived if they then undertake the repair.

Otherwise a good Autoelectrician should have no problem or a Campervan Converter.
I believe on your year vehicle the charger is below the fridge, so the fridge has to be removed.
In the Resources section of the Forum, available to VIP members, there is a How To article regarding the earth shunt repair that also involves removing the fridge/charger.
With that information a competent auto electrician/mechanic or DIYer can do the replacement as it should be just Plug & Play.

Thanks, last question ( I promise!) do you know what the white slider switch to the left of the mains socket does? Extreme left on photo

IMG_1123.jpeg

Back