Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Uneven closing

Michael Minta

Michael Minta

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi

Has anyone had a problem with one side closing faster (Or slower I guess) than the other?

It is a bit disconcerting...!

Any ideas as to how to solve the problem please?

Thank you.

Yes, it happens, as long as both sides close and the "roof closed" tick occurs then no problem ....

but it could indicate a problem to come so always best to check hydraulic fuel levels and other functions of roof closure. If you are near a half-decent VW dealer that knows cali's then always worth getting it checked.

Yes, it happens, as long as both sides close and the "roof closed" tick occurs then no problem ....

but it could indicate a problem to come so always best to check hydraulic fuel levels and other functions of roof closure. If you are near a half-decent VW dealer that knows cali's then always worth getting it checked.
Thanks....I’m not sure if our local VW van place knows Cali’s... it’s a 2010 T5 that we bought in January...

Thanks. I searched but did not find so very helpful...
We had the same issue on our van since new. It seems to be reasonably common, but a mixed bag of if it gets fixed.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/help-wonky-roof-when-lowering.33602/#post-397787

Took it to the dealers and they said they all do it (even though the one they had didn't do it). They then said it was in manufacturer's tollerences.
Didn't say what the tolerances were, so who knows if it was a fob off or is actually the case?

Hi,
My 2017 Ocean, lowered 6 inches more on one side than other from new.
Always fully straightened up at fully open and closed positions. Eventually fixed under warranty (New roof pump). Was fobbed off “with they all do that” but persevered. They replaced the strut and ram first but that did not fix it. Uneven lowering did not cause any damage.
My earlier 2010 always lowered straight.
If the difference is a few inches I would not bother fixing and may be within tolerances.
I have read other threads under “wonky roof” title I think
Colin

We had the same issue on our van since new. It seems to be reasonably common, but a mixed bag of if it gets fixed.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/help-wonky-roof-when-lowering.33602/#post-397787

Took it to the dealers and they said they all do it (even though the one they had didn't do it). They then said it was in manufacturer's tollerences.
Didn't say what the tolerances were, so who knows if it was a fob off or is actually the case?
Thanks...I can’t believe this is within tolerance...

Hi,
My 2017 Ocean, lowered 6 inches more on one side than other from new.
Always fully straightened up at fully open and closed positions. Eventually fixed under warranty (New roof pump). Was fobbed off “with they all do that” but persevered. They replaced the strut and ram first but that did not fix it. Uneven lowering did not cause any damage.
My earlier 2010 always lowered straight.
If the difference is a few inches I would not bother fixing and may be within tolerances.
I have read other threads under “wonky roof” title I think
Colin
Thanks - unfortunately I am beyond warranty, will see what happens at the next service I think.

Thanks...I can’t believe this is within tolerance...
Me neither! Pretty annoying on a brand new van, especially considering the cost of it!
Shame yours is out of warranty as things can get very expensive with these vehicles.
Hopefully it still carries on working ok for you.

Me neither! Pretty annoying on a brand new van, especially considering the cost of it!
Shame yours is out of warranty as things can get very expensive with these vehicles.
Hopefully it still carries on working ok for you.
Thanks