Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof sagging issues

CarrieCali

CarrieCali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi All, after some advice please. We’ve got a MY18 Ocean, just under 12 months old and had roof problems for 6 of those months. Dealership have been okay/good, but have yet to resolve it in 4 visits there, totalling over 20 nights in their workshop. So not great!

The roof sags on the front right, and you can see the RHS ram has dropped back after being fully extended. Sometimes slowly overnight, sometimes quite quickly after being first put up. Results in uneven lowering, and a flappy canvas when up.

The LHS always remain 100% right, even after 4 nights - our longest stay in one spot.

Rams have been swapped from side to side, problem remains on same side though. Rams have been replaced. Pump has been replaced. And control panel has been replaced too.

So, two questions.

Do you have any other ideas about what’s going on?

Can I gauge what level of sag is normal? I imagine hardly anything, but the repressurising system is there for a reason. So how much do people experience roof sag, and is it even from side to side?

Thanks!!

Nothing new ....

IMG_1437.PNG

I'm no expert and can only give my logic but you have to be nearly there with a fix ....
Having swapped the sides of the rams, replaced the rams, replaced the pump and control unit and still its the right hand side, what remains unchecked???
Only the hydraulic link between the pump and the ram(s) as far as I know.
So a pressure loss between the pump and the ram? from either air in the system or a leak?
I don't know anything about the pump to understand if the 2 sides are separated or whether the issue with the right hand side is just a 'single system' pressure loss gravitates to that side.
I hope thats not too far off the mark I'm aware little information can be dangerous.
There must be dealers out there that understand the issue and know the fix.

Last edited:
Thanks 2020, useful advice and logic! It's a confusing one, isn't it. Will see how the van fairs over a few more nights away and it my then be time for another return to the garage. Fingers crossed. It's never quite been right since we've owned it.

(ps - Sorry for the slow reply, life has been a bit manic lately...)

Put my van into the dealers to analyze why my front o/s roof sags quiet significantly after 3 hours of being erected

Estimate ..... a new ram replacement totaling £450.00

Been doing this for 18 months now !

A little trick I learnt was after lifting the roof was to place a telescopic walking pole set to size to stop it coming down
Not forgetting to reset the roof to its fullest up position then taking the pole away before closing

Alan

Put my van into the dealers to analyze why my front o/s roof sags quiet significantly after 3 hours of being erected

A little trick I learnt was after lifting the roof was to place a telescopic walking pole set to size to stop it coming down
Not forgetting to reset the roof to its fullest up position then taking the pole away before closing

Alan
I just hope this fix will be the solution
Any encouragement from you guys?

Alan

Alan
My van was the same a few years ago and after paying VW for a new ram
it still did the same thing. It dropped down about 2 inches on the right hand
side as you're looking at the front of the van.

I then did some reading up about the hydraulic system and changed the left
side ram and topped up with oil but it still drops down a bit.
I now have a cut down broom handle to hold it up for a bit of security
but it isn't a fix to the problem.

My van was the same a few years ago and after paying VW for a new ram
it still did the same thing. It dropped down about 2 inches on the right hand
side as you're looking at the front of the van.

I then did some reading up about the hydraulic system and changed the left
side ram and topped up with oil but it still drops down a bit.
I now have a cut down broom handle to hold it up for a bit of security
but it isn't a fix to the problem.
That’s what I’m afraid of
Thanks for posting Westfalia

Alan

That’s what I’m afraid of
Thanks for posting Westfalia

Alan
Mine starts to drop after about a day, its not ideal having
to prop it up but I'm not gonna do anything about it this
year unless i find out what the exact problem is.

Mine starts to drop after about a day, its not ideal having
to prop it up but I'm not gonna do anything about it this
year unless i find out what the exact problem is.
Would be nice if the VW Guru mechanic who sometimes come on here could give an opinion

Alan

Would be nice if the VW Guru mechanic who sometimes come on here could give an opinion

Alan
Well from my experience Alan i don't think anyone can nail
down what the problem is apart from change this and that
and see.
I won't let it beat me, it´s stalemate at the
moment....

Last edited:
Back