Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Unveiled, the VW Caddy California

I actually prefer this budget Peugeot:

Cute little van. And excellent taste in gin (looks like photo taken only a couple of miles from the Hendricks 'Gin Palace').

P. S. Just worked out you could buy 1,900 bottles of premium gin for the difference between that little van and a new Cali. At a bottle a week that's 36 years' supply.

Just saying.

Last edited:
Wow, so this new Caddy Campervan which is a cute mini campervan. I hope it has the option of a pop top!

What do you think?
Screenshot_20200908-065214_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200908-065127_Chrome.jpg

Here is a montage video of it in its glory.

Owning a full sized California, I don't know why I still want one of these?
So I'm hoping theres the option of captain chairs, pop top roof and Plug in hybrid or even full EV!

I love the idea of the Caddy Camper (to me it is NOT a California). The table and chairs take up an extraordinary amount of boot space, as does the optional kitchen pod. But so long as they are removable, I don’t really care.

I do wish they had been more inventive with the bed by, for example, allowing it to be dual purposed as a tailgate seat.

Ben and I went away last weekend to climb Pen y Fan. We camped overnight in a car park. The Caddy Camper would have been ideal for that purpose.

After seeing a few people sleeping in the back of their cars on campsites in France this year, I certainly can see a demand for a caddy camper. Would be ideal for a 20 something couple to travel round Europe in.

However, it needs to be cheap and cheerful and knowing VW, I doubt it will be!

Also, the storage design of the table and chairs is awful and the bed doesn’t even look flat! I understand why it’s not in a Beach but with a fold over frame in the Caddy, it looks like it needs some additional legs to support it at the hinge point.

I can see the LWB version with the panoramic roof being a bit less claustrophobic, particularly with the tent on the back to facilitate cooking in some more "British" weather than VW's designers perhaps had in mind. No confirmation it's coming to the UK yet anyway, as far as I can see.

I love the idea of the Caddy Camper (to me it is NOT a California). The table and chairs take up an extraordinary amount of boot space, as does the optional kitchen pod. But so long as they are removable, I don’t really care.

I do wish they had been more inventive with the bed by, for example, allowing it to be dual purposed as a tailgate seat.

Ben and I went away last weekend to climb Pen y Fan. We camped overnight in a car park. The Caddy Camper would have been ideal for that purpose.
Even if it was pouring down Tom, there just doesn't appear to be enough room and god help anyone with a bad back.

Even if it was pouring down Tom, there just doesn't appear to be enough room and god help anyone with a bad back.
I don't really see it as a camping car like we might use our Californias, more as overnight sleeping for hillwalkers or fishermen. Even so, with a bit of inventiveness you could cook and eat a breakfast or evening meal under the tailgate without getting wet. Two side tarps attached to the tailgate and one rear tarp - perhaps even three integrated roll out tarps - would do the job of providing sufficient shelter

I don't really see it as a camping car like we might use our Californias, more as overnight sleeping for hillwalkers or fishermen. Even so, with a bit of inventiveness you could cook and eat a breakfast or evening meal under the tailgate without getting wet. Two side tarps attached to the tailgate and one rear tarp - perhaps even three integrated roll out tarps - would do the job of providing sufficient shelter
I'm sure the little Brandup elves will be busily racking their brains to produce stuff that every Caddy owner will want, or think they need, to splash some cash on!! There are other companies as well of course that'll be doing the same.

It'll be interesting to see all the Ikea hacks. Perhaps VW should give @Auberg-ine one to play with. It'll be a camper, second home, office, library, spa, stealth/spy mobile before they know it. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure the little Brandup elves will be busily racking their brains to produce stuff that every Caddy owner will want, or think they need, to splash some cash on!! There are other companies as well of course that'll be doing the same.

It'll be interesting to see all the Ikea hacks. Perhaps WV should give @Auberg-ine one to play with. It'll be a camper, second home, office, library, spa, stealth/spy mobile before they know it. :)
And still have enough space to house the homeless.

I note there is currently no calls to add a sub-section to this forum like there was for the Grand Cali...
Put the graphics man who does the header on stand-by.

And still have enough space to house the homeless.
Haha ;) , sure! And with a shop, bath heating system/BBQ, solarium, ... The sky is the limit! :))

Wished I was as fluent as these guys :)

We just got back from Germany yesterday in our T6 Beach, and on our travels we called in at the Autostadt for a mooch about, and in the Nutzfahrzeug pavilion, they have a T6.1 Beach Camper and the Caddy Beach on display....

The Caddy seems very well packaged, and would be ideal for occasional overnight camping... it also has a VW take on the VanEssa window bags in the rear too... which, from our own experience having acquired some just before our trip are an absolute must have! haha

The 6.1 Beach Camper they had on display, from memory was optioned up to over €80k :oops:

I note there is currently no calls to add a sub-section to this forum like there was for the Grand Cali...
Put the graphics man who does the header on stand-by.
Looking back at my observation, I think it points to most of us who've fallen for the Cali dream (or more correctly 'compromise') feel the need for something roomier much more often than the wish for something smaller.

Haha ;) , sure! And with a shop, bath heating system/BBQ, solarium, ... The sky is the limit! :))

Wished I was as fluent as these guys :)

Just watched the auto-rickshaw/camper video. It really made me grin. But seriously also shows a fantastic use of small space. Being based on a tuk-tuk is just an attention-getter but the concepts transferable to any small base vehicle.

Also shows how you don't need sophisticated (and breakable) tech - eg the hand-turned pump to draw water up to the storage tank. And the charcoal-tray bath water heater... genius!

Just watched the auto-rickshaw/camper video. It really made me grin. But seriously also shows a fantastic use of small space. Being based on a tuk-tuk is just an attention-getter but the concepts transferable to any small base vehicle.

Also shows how you don't need sophisticated (and breakable) tech - eg the hand-turned pump to draw water up to the storage tank. And the charcoal-tray bath water heater... genius!
What a clever guy, VW should give him a Caddy to play with.

With that I'd feel like the guy in the blue Reliant Regal from Mr Bean every time in the path of a Cali acting like the green Mini

Back