Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Unveiled, the VW Caddy California

Didn't the previous version have a pop top?

Yes that was the feature we liked
The glass roof is cute, but no substitute for being able to stand up inside, which others have solved.

Includes 300w solar panel and leisure battery which allows 2-3 days electric cooking with induction even without sun. No gas. VW has to catch up.

Last edited:
Let's face it a pop top is a no-no.

I do think they've gone wrong with the chairs and stove etc. I think they've thought "what are the essential elements of a Cali" and though they had to include them rather than thinking "how does a Cali make such good use of space".

I'd dump the cooker (not one in a Beach pre 6.1 or Tourer), dump the chairs (maybe include some small stools and a roll-up table) and think how I could be clever with the space to make a viable two-person weekend camper that also functions as a four-seater taxi.

Missed opportunity, but people will buy it.

Let's face it a pop top is a no-no.

I do think they've gone wrong with the chairs and stove etc. I think they've thought "what are the essential elements of a Cali" and though they had to include them rather than thinking "how does a Cali make such good use of space".

I'd dump the cooker (not one in a Beach pre 6.1 or Tourer), dump the chairs (maybe include some small stools and a roll-up table) and think how I could be clever with the space to make a viable two-person weekend camper that also functions as a four-seater taxi.

Missed opportunity, but people will buy it.
I've updated post #81, VW is way behind.

"Turn a handle to lower the roof bed. It is .6m wide (24') at the foot end and a huge .9m (36') at head end. It measures 1.9m (6'3') long but that does go into the tapering front of the roof - so we feel it's more realistic to think of it being suitable for people up to 5'10' tall. "

This lucky person was first person in UK to test drive a the new Caddy Cali on Thursday! (a LHD version well specc'd version specially shipped over from Germany) And crawl over it and do a mag photoshoot ...
For what is it is it's a nice piece of kit and drives lovely!
and more driver assist and safety features than I can shake a stick at. My first encounter with the thing that corrects my wandering steering - did not know about that thing, twas a shock at first!!!)

This lucky person was first person in UK to test drive a the new Caddy Cali on Thursday! (a LHD version well specc'd version specially shipped over from Germany) And crawl over it and do a mag photoshoot ...
For what is it is it's a nice piece of kit and drives lovely!
and more driver assist and safety features than I can shake a stick at. My first encounter with the thing that corrects my wandering steering - did not know about that thing, twas a shock at first!!!)
Any pics then?

Have you seen it…?
Another fugly Volkswagen.
The latest T6.1, Golf and now the Caddy. Some of the worst designs I’ve seen from Volkswagen. Totally lost their way.

I had the first Vikenze which was very clever, now I have the caddy tramper. It's not so much stealth as utterly nondescript and gets to places a transporter sized van wouldn't. I'm a big micro camper fan.

Back