Upgrade radio, is it worth £450

MarkVw2017

MarkVw2017

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello,

Just wondering if the jump from the standard radio with a 5 inch screen to a 6.33 is really worth the £450 premium as cannot see much else that is different apart from an aux in.

Does anyone have any experience of using the two?

Thank you
Included radio...
Screenshot_20180710-161015_Chrome.jpg
And the upgraded one...

Screenshot_20180710-161028_Chrome.jpg

I'd spend the money on app connect first, just from a future proofing point of view.
Thanks for that, but you cannot add app connect to a stanard radio, so that would be about £620 upgrade :-0

As you are spending north of 55k probably anyway, I’d imagine most people spec the app connect as a minimum and therefore get the 6.33 screen anyway.

It doesn’t seem worth speccing 6.33 and not having app connect.

...and ive got an all singing all dancing radio on my skoda and
As you are spending north of 55k probably anyway, I’d imagine most people spec the app connect as a minimum and therefore get the 6.33 screen anyway.

It doesn’t seem worth speccing 6.33 and not having app connect.

Honestly dont want to spend £620 for the sake of it :-0, im not bothered about app connect, got a dedicated sat nav and ipads and phones if i need to watch something so just would like to know if the ugraded audio does anything apart from just the aux in and 6.33inch

The stereo upgrade to the 6.33” unit was only £186 last week?

Unless this is a Beach?

The stereo upgrade to the 6.33” unit was only £186 last week?

Unless this is a Beach?

I know and still is for the Ocean which i found out last night, but £450 for the beach so thats made my mind up as have no idea why it would be so mich for a beach? Seems abit of a rip off, £186 for a Cali, more like it!!

You'd definitely want app connect surely if not getting nav (and I'd much rather have Google Maps anyway) - iOS 12 brings access to Google Maps and Waze too I believe so it's essential IMHO.

At £186 it would be acceptable, but at £450 it seems very excessive.

I guess they know many will still buy it, but it's got to stick in the throat when you know that someone, somewhere worked out they'd be able to get away with charging £264 more. Not because there is extra work involved for them, but just because it's a Beach and not an Ocean. :mad:

At £186 it would be acceptable, but at £450 it seems very excessive.

I guess they know many will still buy it, but it's got to stick in the throat when you know that someone, somewhere worked out they'd be able to get away with charging £264 more. Not because there is extra work involved for them, but just because it's a Beach and not an Ocean. :mad:

That's exactly why ive decided not to upgrade as it jsut seems like a total insult to beach buyers. I honestly feel like most tech thiings anyway, app connect will be replaced in a few years with some other tech or the app will need to be upgraded, or you'll need to pay for it on a monthly subscription or have the latest phone new phone, or need the latest android etc. Think i wil save my self £620 and happily listen to the DAB radio and buy myself a dedicated tomtom for £200.

Thanks for your replies and sharing your knowledge!!!!!

That's exactly why ive decided not to upgrade as it jsut seems like a total insult to beach buyers. I honestly feel like most tech thiings anyway, app connect will be replaced in a few years with some other tech or the app will need to be upgraded, or you'll need to pay for it on a monthly subscription or have the latest phone new phone, or need the latest android etc. Think i wil save my self £620 and happily listen to the DAB radio and buy myself a dedicated tomtom for £200.

CarPlay and Android Auto (AppConnect) are not going anywhere / being replaced. If anything they will replace everything else in my opinion.

CarPlay and Android Auto (AppConnect) are not going anywhere / being replaced. If anything they will replace everything else in my opinion.

I'll quote you in that in 3 years ;-) Ive got a top of the range radio in my car and only ever use dab, app connect can be a faff, eg forgot phone, phone dead, no signal, not syncing so end up listening to DAB radio any way most of the time, phone on constant charge so kills battery etc and sat nav seems a big seller with app connect, but will never beat a dedicated sat nav with live traffic, lifetime map uogrades etc and doesnt use any data. :We already rely kn phones too mich anyhows :- If youve got app connect, good on ya, but its defo one thing i am not bothrred about and imho honestly do not think it will make the cali experience any better or any worse. Its just a nice addition, bit for £620 option when getting a beach, id rather a holiday!!!!!

Just a thought... I do not know the answer... But with the Composition Media do you get an automatic upgrade to the MF steering wheel (£372)?

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Think i wil save my self £620 and happily listen to the DAB radio and buy myself a dedicated tomtom for £200.
I agree. I've spent another day f***ing around with Carplay connecting then not connecting. It's far from the dream solution I'd hoped. Split the tasks up between the radio, phone (bluetooth for phone and music) and sat nav.

No, i dont think :-0

I think I'm on the right lines for the reason for the price disparity.

The Ocean comes with the MF steering wheel as standard, including media controls.

If extra controls are needed with the upgrade, they will need to go somewhere on the Beach, but they already exist on the Ocean.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but do I understand correctly that I can still play music from my phone with the standard radio, I just need to use a USB cable? One of the posts in this thread makes it sound like it's restricted to playing dab radio.

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but do I understand correctly that I can still play music from my phone with the standard radio, I just need to use a USB cable? One of the posts in this thread makes it sound like it's restricted to playing dab radio.

What radio? What year Cali?

Duh, sorry, I was thinking of a 2018 or 2019 Beach, with whatever the stock radio with the 5 inch display is (as referred to by the OP), what you get if you don't upgrade.

In our 2019 Beach we can via Bluetooth, no USB needed.

Edit: Or you can connect via USB if you want.

Thanks lemondrop. That makes it harder for me to see why the upgrade is worth it. Why not just use the phone for Google maps and Spotify, etc (with a good dash mount)?

Thanks lemondrop. That makes it harder for me to see why the upgrade is worth it. Why not just use the phone for Google maps and Spotify, etc (with a good dash mount)?

Each to their own but spending over £50k on a Cali and sticking your phone to the windscreen to save £450?

Android Auto and Apple CarPlay are way more than just maps and Spotify

Back