Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the digital sound package worth it?

F

ferret99

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Hi,

I'm speccing a Cali Ocean T6 and wondering about the "digital sound package" at almost £1300. Is it worth paying for this or, for the same money, could I upgrade the speakers afterwards? FWIW I am ordering the composition media radio with 6.33 screen and AppConnect.

Thanks, Chris.

We are very fine with the 8 speakers without the dynaudio package. Be carefull ig you Order a mj 2017. I heard that VW is putting only 6 speakers in it now. And if you Order the dynaudio there will be a subwoofer above the Radio/Navi-Display in the middle of the dashboard instead a small compartment.

Forgott to tell that the small compartment is only there in an Ocean with comfort dashboard!

We went for the digital sound package. It is absolutely superb. So glad we went for it. Spotify in the Cali, game of cards , bottle of wine Can't beat it. No regrets. Only get one chance so go for it if music is for you.

Hi,

I'm speccing a Cali Ocean T6 and wondering about the "digital sound package" at almost £1300. Is it worth paying for this or, for the same money, could I upgrade the speakers afterwards? FWIW I am ordering the composition media radio with 6.33 screen and AppConnect.

Thanks, Chris.
That's the spec I have Chris and am very happy with it.

One thing to consider regarding the audio is that the audio system is powered from the engine battery rather than the leisure batteries. So using it in camping mode needs to be managed. To achieve this the sound system switches off 30 mins after the engine is switched off. This is a pain. As a result we tend just to use a high quality Bose Bluetooth speaker when camping rather than the Cali system.

Thanks for the replies. I think that its only the MY17 Beach with the 6 speakers, I think the Ocean still has 8.

That's the spec I have Chris and am very happy with it.

One thing to consider regarding the audio is that the audio system is powered from the engine battery rather than the leisure batteries. So using it in camping mode needs to be managed. To achieve this the sound system switches off 30 mins after the engine is switched off. This is a pain. As a result we tend just to use a high quality Bose Bluetooth speaker when camping rather than the Cali system.
This 30 min "feature" seems particularly daft when you have a system that plays DVDs. I can't see the sense in having a DVD player that stops playing every 30mins unless you are driving! My Cali came with the RNS 510 with all it's features but were I specing a new van I would look at a lesser option and spend the saving on a Bluetooth set up independent of the Cali system. That or rewire to the leisure battery.

• Agree
Reactions: DM
Hi,

Thanks, Chris.
Wow. For that money you could achieve something quite special. I've fitted 700w of high spec component speakers and amplifiers as well as a 500w 10" sub for about the same spend. All inside the factory mounts so you'd never know unless it's on.

This 30 min "feature" seems particularly daft when you have a system that plays DVDs. I can't see the sense in having a DVD player that stops playing every 30mins unless you are driving! My Cali came with the RNS 510 with all it's features but were I specing a new van I would look at a lesser option and spend the saving on a Bluetooth set up independent of the Cali system. That or rewire to the leisure battery.
I could be wrong, because I don't often play DVDs on the RNS510, but I'm sure the last time I did it played all the way through. I normally use an iPad with a Bluetooth speaker system and a headrest iPad holder/mount.

We are very fine with the 8 speakers without the dynaudio package. Be carefull ig you Order a mj 2017. I heard that VW is putting only 6 speakers in it now. And if you Order the dynaudio there will be a subwoofer above the Radio/Navi-Display in the middle of the dashboard instead a small compartment.
Anybody can explain where the 7-8 speakers are? I see the 2 small ones in the front 2 in doors and 2 back near the bench.

Anybody can explain where the 7-8 speakers are? I see the 2 small ones in the front 2 in doors and 2 back near the bench.

In the Ocean the 7th and 8th speakers are in the aircraft style locker in the roof above the rear door. But the beach doesn't have that locker so not sure for you.

Wow. For that money you could achieve something quite special. I've fitted 700w of high spec component speakers and amplifiers as well as a 500w 10" sub for about the same spend. All inside the factory mounts so you'd never know unless it's on.

Fred, I'd love to know where you got that done, particularly if they did a good job of hiding it all in the original mounts.

Con

Fred,
You have lit the fuse in my money pocket.. I should not be thinking of upgrading as I do think my new Ocean has pretty good sound with the 6.33 system
But in saying that I have had the same thoughts on just about every car I have owned. But I have always upgraded just about all of them in the past as the £'s spent in the correct areas can really make a difference.
I too would be interested on the upgrade path you have taken. From experience I know that just swapping out the drivers really improves. That's before adding any after market amps...
Please let me know what route you have taken... If you removed door cards, panels etc, are there any pitfalls or tips to watch out for?
Cheers...

everything you need to know is here . DIY install quite easy once you have all the parts. Happy to answer any questions, either PM me or drop a note in that thread and + me

I have the Dynaudio in my T6-Ocean, and the sound is VERY good, but i dont think it's perfect - speaking from a true sound geek :)

I realy don´t think it's worth the money - in Denmark (with taxes and all) it cost DKK 30.000 - which is about 3000 GBP.
With that amount of money you can by a lot of aftermarket speakers, but you will then have the trouble mounting it all in the car...

The eleven speakers is placed like this:
  • 4 in the front doors - 2 bass and 2 midrange
  • 2 in the A-piller - front tweeters
  • 1 in the center of the dashboard (hence the missing small compartment) - ekstra midrange to support the stereoimage when placed off center in one of the front seats.
  • 4 in the roofbox compartment in the rear - 2 midrange and 2 tweeters
  • ekstra amplifier under the right side front seat (you loose the possibility to use this space for storage)
I was a little disapointed at first - even had the car around the dealer for a check of the rear speakers, as i did not think the sound was that great listening from the backseat, but every thing was in perfect order.

When i was specing my Cali i listened to a demonstration of the Dynaudio system in a Passat. that car had the system discribed in this youtube vid:
I was very impressed because the system had the same digital soundcorrection i have at home in my livingroom, with possibilty to focus the sound at eg. the drivers seat.
The system i the California is more simple, and the only way you can change the sound is the normal way with the fader and bass, mid and treble adjustments.

All that said: now i have had the car for 3 month, the Dynaudio system is 'growing' on me, tuesday evening driving home from at trip to the beach we listened to lovely groovy jazz at high volume - having a wonderfull time...

Another solution is a portable (i.e) UE Boom Bluetooth speaker. Small, cheep and versatile. You can bring the music outside - when you are sipping wine under the awning, or you can bring it to the beach or elsewhere. The sound is not as perfect as the Dynaudio i believe, but it is about 30 times cheeper. If you get two, the can manage stereo and for the price, they actually have a terrific sound. Love mine ;-)

Back