Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Interior lights (9CE) and rear View Camera (7X9) question

John Herbert

John Herbert

Once a camper ...
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
The specifying continues and information is sought on the above.

First – is the 114 pounds for interior lights worth having? How does this option improve on the standard lights supplied with the California.

Second – The picture from the rear view camera (I assume) appears on the radio screen. The purpose of this bit of kit must be to avoid struggling to get a clear rear picture, avoiding the obstruction caused by the stuff on the back shelf plus the bike rack. I apologise for what may seem a stupid question but - can you listen to the radio and play a CD at the same time? Also would I be better of specifying the bigger screen ZI6 6.33 inch radio at 162 pounds to give a bigger and better picture.

I am not tempted to pay for the VW sat-nav as I will be opting for a Snooper which also provides full camp site information.

Thanks for any response

Apparently this is a fairly new option. My dealer says that although he has yet to see one with it fitted his understanding is that you lose two lights in the tailgate and one in the roof panel as well as a large led one over the sink (which he thinks is replaced by the fluorescent tube. I suggested that it seemed unlikely VW would offer a cost option that was inferior to standard spec but he wasn't able to shed any further light on it (sorry no pun intended!)

Somewhat answering my own question. My dealer tells me that the new light option 9CE involves having LED roof lights controlled by dimmable touch buttons and two tail gate LED´s. Value for money at 114 pounds?

I am also told that the rear view mirror is more a poor quality picture in reverse gear "reversing" rather than an alternative to the permanently on rear view mirror. Am tempted to find a non VW rear picture camera and screen to keep track of what is behind.

Thanks John but this is what my dealer told me about 9CE in an email:

"The lighting option is a new option so I have never seen it to be honest but I am led to believe that it is essentially a fluorescent light over the cooker/sink instead of the large standard LED one. It is the fact that you lose the small lights in the tailgate and roof panel which would be an issue for me as I think they are really useful."

We probably need to seek a definitive 'from the horse's mouth' explanation as to what the difference(s) are between the standard spec and this option. The question is; who can reliably provide it? I suppose only someone who has actually seen a new vehicle equipped with the option.
Is there anyone here who's got it?

I have rr camera on a 2015 Cali - integrated into tailgate just above number plate, very neat, come on rDS510 display when reverse selected. Works really well as has boundary lines marked etc and parking sensors still go. Not a permanent feed but I suppose it could be ?

Somewhat answering my own question. My dealer tells me that the new light option 9CE involves having LED roof lights controlled by dimmable touch buttons and two tail gate LED´s.
The LED lights in the roof and the tailgate of the Ocean model have dimming as standard - ours has them and I'm sure they were in a demo one also.

The lighting is very good with the dimmable LEDs especially in the upper bed.
The view of the rear through the camera is excellent on the 6.33 uprated screen and a grid pattern which shows you the vans position relative to the space you are reversing into, the multimedia upgrade also gives you the option of having the app connect in turn this allows you to view goggle maps from your phone doing away with need for the sat nav.

This seems to be the latest on the 9CE option.
cid:06899E5E-349D-4815-A120-C122FAB806A6

If that doesn't work I can try and email it to you

Back