Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Upgrading factory fitted Thatcham cat 1 alarm

I wonder how the number of actual successful thefts compares with the number of thwarted attempts that result in damage? Personally I use a disklok as a deterrent in the hope that the next van without one fitted looks more tempting and they don’t even bother with mine.
And if they succeed, the tracker might help me to recover the van, not that I’d particularly want it back, I admit.
I just love my van and I’ll do anything to keep it safe.
If it was " Joyriders " intending to hotwire the ignition I would totally agree with you . Unfortunately I don't believe that is the case with the California. Stolen to order by professionals so they come prepared and they want that particular vehicle.

The reference to internal protection relates to vans as many have a bulkhead fitted resulting in the load area having no sensors being able to detect movement in that zone.

I have a Pro steering lock, a foot pedal cover lock and courtesy of my Insurance Smart paint on numerous parts.

What camper insurers don't insist on a tracker being fitted?

If it was " Joyriders " intending to hotwire the ignition I would totally agree with you . Unfortunately I don't believe that is the case with the California. Stolen to order by professionals so they come prepared and they want that particular vehicle.
Yes, two tribes of thieves with differing MO’s require different solutions. We all make our own choices when it comes to defence strategies, although my insurer made part of my own strategy for me.
I was asked if I used mechanical security, I said yes, a disklok, and it was recorded.
I worry that if the van is nicked and the disklok was off, they could technically refuse to pay out.
But that is probably for another thread

Not entirely true. There is a vehicle value, above which, they insist an S5 tracker is fitted. I believe it's around £50k, but may be more. I had to have a tracker fitted before they would insure me.

Not entirely true. There is a vehicle value, above which, they insist an S5 tracker is fitted. I believe it's around £50k, but may be more. I had to have a tracker fitted before they would insure me.
I’m with NFU, they didn’t mention a tracker ? Been with them many years with various vehicles including motorhome and Calis never been asked about tracker. Both been been more than £50k.

I wouldn’t add another alarm. 2 reasons are that it might add to the drain on the batteries and, more importantly, the original alarm can have the internal sensors deactivated for sleeping in the van or having the pop top open.
Reasonable concerns, yes.
In my experience I have not noticed a battery drain, and have no hassle from the tracker systems whilst camping and sleeping in the van. I set the van alarm using the driver door mounted button and all is well. I assume the systems are designed to work together???
Hope this helps.

I'm with @Paul1 on this, same experience over 10 years

As has been said, if the criminal wants your van and given enough time and lack of being disturbed they will take it. All the owner can do is put layers of security including mechanical and electronic to delay them. Nothing is totally secure. I have a disklok that I have owned for 20+ years and still works perfectly.

Reasonable concerns, yes.
In my experience I have not noticed a battery drain, and have no hassle from the tracker systems whilst camping and sleeping in the van. I set the van alarm using the driver door mounted button and all is well. I assume the systems are designed to work together???
Hope this helps.
I wasn’t talking about a tracker, the OP mentioned extra protection and the video was about an upgraded alarm.

Fit a tracker. I used SureTrac which I think is now Verizon. They offer tracking and asset recovery as a service. They were also used by my sailing club and successfully caught a gang stealing outboard motors who’d run a mock across the UK stealing outboards for the best part if 5 years till they stole from us for a 3rd or 4th time and got tracked and caught red handed.

Hi all,

We are getting close to delivery of our new T6.1 Ocean and while looking around about security came across this video:

The suggestion is factory fitted cat 1 alarm is poor when it comes to internal and vibration sensing, so have owners found this?

If it isn’t this bad - great.

But if it is has anyone added an upgrade to the factory system to improve it as suggested in the video.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Hi I had to have a Scorpion tracker fitted for insurance co. You get a fob and can use an app. Just don’t leave your phone near the van when you are in doors. Unless you reduce the range otherwise if yo go out forget your fob or phone it will start when you leave……and you’ll be stuck at the shops! I speak from experience!

Back