Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Alarm/immobilser evidence?

J

John Slater

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
My current insurer of my old van is asking for evidence of the Cat 1 Thatcham device fitment as the value is 50k+. Has anyone else been asked this and what did you use? The dealer is quite clear that it is factory fit and no certificate of fitment is issued and the insurance categorisation reflects this. At the moment it looks like I'll have to move.

My current insurer of my old van is asking for evidence of the Cat 1 Thatcham device fitment as the value is 50k+. Has anyone else been asked this and what did you use? The dealer is quite clear that it is factory fit and no certificate of fitment is issued and the insurance categorisation reflects this. At the moment it looks like I'll have to move.
Yes, a standard question. Go to the Thatcham website and there's a list of vehicles. I printed off a copy to keep with my insurance paperwork.
Not actually asked for proof but asked confirm by answering the question when completing vehicle details declaration.

Last edited:
Interesting question although we have never been asked for proof and never had a certificate on our Cali's. Before we owned the Cali's we had a Subaru which came with a Thatcham certificate.

I think they only come with a certificate if the the alarm is fitted by the importer. Like all mitsubishis are fitted at portbury dock whereas the transporter is factory fitted.

Yes, a standard question. Go to the Thatcham website and there's a list of vehicles. I printed off a copy to keep with my insurance paperwork.
Not actually asked for proof but asked confirm by answering the question when completing vehicle details declaration.
Thanks. That suggestion worked. I emailed them the off and pointed out the relevant info.

Hi Do you have a link to the page as I can't find it

I’d question whether the insurer is appropriate if they question whether your vehicle has a Thatcham category alarm and immobiliser - if they know their onions, this should be a given surely!

I’d question whether the insurer is appropriate if they question whether your vehicle has a Thatcham category alarm and immobiliser - if they know their onions, this should be a given surely!
The Thatcham list would be fine for UK registered vehicles, like the California but imported conversions such as Westfalia don’t necessarily have the required Thatcham category fitted from new.
So I guess the insurers cover themselves by asking the question for all vehIcles.