Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is it a van a campervan or motorhome....?

nlaundy

nlaundy

Vehicle
T5 Cali on order
This may sound daft - but having camped for years and now got a cali, am not sure what sort of pitch we need to book. Any advice?
Was thinking of using our tent for extra room until we decide on what drive away awning to get. Can we just book a tent pitch - pitch the tent and also pop up the roof and use the cali alongside. Or do we have to book in as a motorhome onto hardstanding...
Planning on a quick overnight stay in north wales to test things out.
Any advice greatly appreciated....(realise I might be over thinking this - and just need to start phoning some campsites and asking!)
Nick

Just ask. Normally the hardstanding pitches are for the "motorhomes " upto Winabago size, so they don't sink in the grass. A California should be fine on a grass pitch.

Depends on the site - our favourite local site at Mortehoe (north morte farm) just have pitches you can put anything on.
Most sites though you'll have to have a camper van / motorhome pitch some of which will charge extra if you want a tent as well.
There are so many variables though the easiest thing to do is ring the site and ask them

If I am booking online I just say that I am a vw campervan and I am happy on grass or hardstanding - then they can stick me where they like :)

Most campsites you can camp on tent field if the grass is dry so just book a pitch or a hard standing if weather poor best of both worlds with a camper. Also some sites are tents and campers only .

This weekend we have found most campsites to be fully booked due to the bank holidays but as soon as you say you do not need an electric hook up then they have spaces:bananadance

Hi Nick welcome, whereabouts in North Wales you going?

Hi Nick welcome, whereabouts in North Wales you going?
Probably Anglesey, there is a campsite overlooking red wharf bay we used to use for spur of the minute get aways with the tent - but it is not exactly flat - so was looking for somewhere new.

Penrhos CC site is nice ...

Anyway, I digress,

You are overthinking it ...

I personally would say campervan with drive-away awning. Contact the campsite, say what you are, tell them what you want. Are you a motorhome? Yes, one that can go through a carpark height barrier and wave to the white boxes that can't....

Are you a car/van? Yes, when parking.

Probably Anglesey, there is a campsite overlooking red wharf bay we used to use for spur of the minute get aways with the tent - but it is not exactly flat - so was looking for somewhere new.
Might be an idea to check the weather in Anglesey, see snowy55's post - he's near Holyhead and they are in the mist as are we in Colwyn Bay, only about 20 yards visibility here at the moment!

BTW, we were in Red Wharf Bay on Friday; went around Beaumaris, Penmon, Llandonna Beach, Pentraeth (where the garage/Spar was on fire!) then down to the beach at Benllech. There's no shortage of camp sites and I believe you are allowed to stay at the Lligwy Beach car park for a small fee if you get stuck. We normally end up at a farm site in Moelfre when on that side of the island.

Thank you everyone for your advice! Had a great time in Rhosneigr - fantastic weather - sun burnt away the fog just before we arrived. Having camped in tents for years - definitely at the beginning of a new learning curve with regards to efficient packing and use of space! Was just a one night trip sneaked in between getting back from the skiing hols and back at work this afternoon - but couldn't not do something with the weather as good as it was - although think we now have enough washing to keep us going for a month....

Not exactly a reply but on the same theme. We are going to France in July (collect our first ever Cali this Friday) and need to book a ferry. Is the Cali a car/van/motorhome or what? It makes a difference to the price. Interestingly the critical factor on a ferry should be the length of the vehicle (IMO) and the Cali is shorter than my previous A6 so why should I pay more? It is not a commercial vehicle (van), nor is it a motorhome (in terms of Winnebago size). Even though you can specify length and height it still works out more calling it a motorhome than the same sized car. Any thoughts/experiences please?

When I booked a few weeks ago you had to put in the Registration Number and it came up with " Campervan ". It then wanted confirmation of height and length regarding Roofbox/Bike rack etc:. No other option was given.

Good point. So long as ALL ferry sites begin by asking for your reg. I was looking for crossings before we had the van and therefore didn't have a valid reg no. I then over-rode the system by inputting the data manually (an option this particular site provided), hence the ability to call my vehicle whatever I chose!

My booking was on the Euroshuttle.

We always book on line in advance as a normal car, less than 2.00 m high, less than 5.00 m long. (Even though ours is 2.05 m with the solar panels on, but we always lower our car 7 cm using the parking garage pre set of our air suspension). Has never been an issue on any ferry anywhere when we showed up with our booking forms, and is always lots cheaper than van/campervan/dormobile.

afmetingen-vw-t5-california.jpg

We have never been in the 'Chunnel', though. We have found the ferries cheaper always. E.g in two weeks time we will be taking Dunkirk-Dover. There the dimension options were "less than 2.35m high, less than 6.00 m long" (easy!). Only € 63 for a return trip with one Cali and 2 persons. Last year, going to Camperjam we paid € 55 for the same.
We also like the 'slower' ferry trip, it is quite relaxing and giving a true 'holiday' feeling. We have a nice meal while we sail!

Back