Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

We are selling up!

As i posted on page one , it all depends on your onw favors and needs , who knows the most die hard Cali-owner on here might need to change to a diffrent way of travelling due to health problems , family expantion , ...and ending up buying a big white....no problem with that! It is all about enjoying your free times as nice as possible .
Offcoarse we all adore our Cali's and one telling here to sell we all go questioning , but as Welshgas mentiont , only few months registerd here so maybe the Cali lifestyle was just not what they needed...hope he get it sold to a new member...;)

Why? Are you not confident enough in your own choice to allow the OP the same courtesy?
I am. That's why I only commented about the dangers of SatNavs and Large vehicles and carrying a toilet, and using it in a T5.

Don't shoot me down but we are also looking to upgrade to a motorhome this year, we have had some good times in the Cali but now feel we need a bit more luxury. Our friends have a small 2 berth Hymer and it was so nice sitting in their van before Christmas when it was pouring with rain outside, it was so much more civilised sitting on their sofa having a glass of wine with a home made Lasagne cooking in the oven rather than all of us being cramped around our small pull out table!

As mentioned above it would be perfect to keep both, the Cali for summer when we eat outside and then a motorhome for winter. The reason the motorhome has won is because our summers are so short in the UK plus we also have some horrible weather in the summer as well, we also feel the small motorhome will give us much more flexibility and the type we are looking to purchase is not that much bigger than a Cali and still just about fits in a car parking space at the supermarket.

Yes, we will miss the VW scene and meets but I am sure there are motorhome clubs as well.

I am with Larry, and like you Surrey, I would have both a Cali and a small motorhome if I could.
I ride bikes, and there is a saying that the number of bikes you need is one more than the number you have.
I still intend to head south a lot so the small size is less of a problem, as outside is part of your living area.
And like others, I don't think I could poop in the kitchen, but I do like the look of the Boginabag I have bought , but have yet to use.
Did you buy the folding tent that goes with your popaloo Welsh?, I was wondering about the awning for the back door. I might even make one out of our old big tent

Very few motorhomer's use their toilet for number two's !!

People do realise there is a partition and a door?

The idea of a toilet is bliss for those middle of the night wee's, we used to have a toilet tent and it was a real faff waking everyone up when opening the sliding door, you then wake everyone up again when you get back in

Our neighbours have just purchased one of the new Burster Brevio's I was surprised of the size as it is not much bigger than the Cali, it is like a Tardis inside and rear bed just drops down when it is bed time, really clever. For two people it is perfect and I think they only paid £38k !! Residuals seem good as well as their old Burstner was only three years old and they only lost £4,500

http://www.buerstner.com/uk/motorhomes/compact_models/brevio/360_views.html

Tempting!

Yes Surrey. Re toilet, I meant the Cali owners who keep the portapotty in the kitchen unit, and uses it in the van. I would find a separate loo luxury aswell.

Interesting buerster, isn't it a bit inefficient use of space having the bed down all the time?, isn't the living space in a Cali actually more?
Anyway , enough non Cali talk for me,, time for me to log off and go and fill the van for tonight's trip to Dartmoor. We will see how we cope with wet clothes and boots.
I was just going to hang them on the back of the front seats, and front roof handles, put the heating on low, and let them dry
Though there will be a hell of a lot of humidity....may be need to start a new thread for ideas when I return
(If only we had a shower we could put them in....ha ha, meant to be a joke!! I love my Cali)

Yes Surrey. Re toilet, I meant the Cali owners who keep the portapotty in the kitchen unit, and uses it in the van. I would find a separate loo luxury aswell.

We got porta-potti underneeth the sink , think we only used it 5 times for nr2's
If you look out for places with public toilets that are in warehouses , museums, city halls , touristic bureau's ,gasstations....for the nr2's
Mostly just to pee at night or say emergency in tows or busy places...
I rather pee in my Cali .....in the P-P :D then have to pay to use a dirty public toilet.
Must say as a man it does happend to pee in nature when on hikingtrips,....

As said above some owners of a bid white never use their toilets either ....that i find silly...
So o clean kids pampers , ....but their own sh.... seem to be something from a other planet...?

A portable loo is a must if you go camping.

Just had a funny/silly thaught

As a child we had those big towels that we put on after swimming to both dry and change under.
You could make a long dress thing, that ties around your neck,, a tube, arms inside, that covers you and your poopaloo, or Boginabag

What expression would you put on your face to try and disguise that you are pooping in public

I am with Larry, and like you Surrey, I would have both a Cali and a small motorhome if I could.
I ride bikes, and there is a saying that the number of bikes you need is one more than the number you have.
I still intend to head south a lot so the small size is less of a problem, as outside is part of your living area.
And like others, I don't think I could poop in the kitchen, but I do like the look of the Boginabag I have bought , but have yet to use.
Did you buy the folding tent that goes with your popaloo Welsh?, I was wondering about the awning for the back door. I might even make one out of our old big tent
Yes, I have a Toilet tent. The Popaloo one is OK, but for what you want there are cheaper ones, but do get one with Guy Ropes in case of stormy weather.
This is the one I have bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252118680443

Interesting buerster, isn't it a bit inefficient use of space having the bed down all the time?, isn't the living space in a Cali actually more?
Anyway , enough non Cali talk for me,, time for me to log off and go and fill the van for tonight's trip to Dartmoor. We will see how we cope with wet clothes and boots.
I was just going to hang them on the back of the front seats, and front roof handles, put the heating on low, and let them dry
Though there will be a hell of a lot of humidity....may be need to start a new thread for ideas when I return
(If only we had a shower we could put them in....ha ha, meant to be a joke!! I love my Cali)
I've made myself a simple Storm Porch for the winter that allows wet cloths to be left outside.

Loo looks good.
And it can double as a pitch saver.....we don't have an awning or anything, and if we go off site, have nothing to show it is our spot....the loo tent will do fine...Maby scare people off

Clothes hung in the centre on the cross rail on hangers. Out of the rain and soon blow dry.

Unfortunately the discussion is already underway for us to change to a motorhome.........& husband is not too happy! We've had our Cali for 4 years now & absolutely love it but the lure of the loo & shower is is tempting & I'm saying this whilst in NZ laying in a hired motorhome with all the comforts........the husband is beginning to wish he hadn't brought me out to see our daughter!

Our neighbours have just purchased one of the new Burster Brevio's I was surprised of the size as it is not much bigger than the Cali, it is like a Tardis inside and rear bed just drops down when it is bed time, really clever. For two people it is perfect and I think they only paid £38k !! Residuals seem good as well as their old Burstner was only three years old and they only lost £4,500

http://www.buerstner.com/uk/motorhomes/compact_models/brevio/360_views.html

Tempting!
I was looking at these when we were in germany and really like them - classy interiors and pretty good VFM. The electric drop down bed was a nifty feature

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Yes, I have a Toilet tent. The Popaloo one is OK, but for what you want there are cheaper ones, but do get one with Guy Ropes in case of stormy weather.
This is the one I have bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252118680443
The guy rope comment has made me recall treking in the remote himalaya half way up a high pass at about 5500m.
The porters were putting up the portaloo tent over a hole in the ground. It was so windy the bottom of the tent blew up half way just revealing their legs while they were hanging onto the top of the tent. It looked so funny.
No hanging around performing that night incase of a repercussion!

Each to their own, but I started out with a T4 Cali for a few years, sold it and bought a Hymer Motorhome ( a smallish 5 berth one at 18'6") for the luxury and comforts to keep SHMBO happy. Used it for a couple of tours, but as I am still working, I only got to use it for a few weeks and weekends each year and I really hated having it parked up on the driveway (ugly white box), but didn't want the increased costs or inconvenience of secure storage. So the Hymer had to go.

Now back with a T5 Cali, still working full time, but the Cali isn't an eyesore, it is also fantastic as a people hauler (just used it for a 1600 mile round trip skiing over Christmas).

A few days after returning to the UK I folded the seats down and carefully loaded it up with 8 old interior doors and dropped these to the local refuse site.

I also regularly use the Cali for carrying my trials bike on a rack or towing other bikes on my trailer to events around the Country. Therefore for me the Cali wins over as it earns it's keep.

When I eventually retire, I anticipate returning to the MH fold once again as I am sure I will give it the usage it deserves.

Why not go for a Karmen Colorado still a T5 the room of a real motor home but still with a bit more style than your normal coachbuilts.
Just as another option.

Why not go for a Karmen Colorado still a T5 the room of a real motor home but still with a bit more style than your normal coachbuilts.
Just as another option.

I checked one out once at my dealer in Holland and tought it looked pretty good.
On older age not want to climb up the roof having more confort thatone would be in my top three...

Back