Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Uprated security.

Neilos

Neilos

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hello Campers,

Quick question. There’s been a spate of thefts locally in what is normally a very safe area.

Large MH taken two weeks ago, a nice luxury car also taken from another near by house.

Subsequently fitted a stop lock on the steering wheel. And taken to blocking the van in with another vehicle.

I’m now thinking about something else, ghost, tracker, or bear lock.

I know this is done to death on here, I can’t really afford to spend the money, but at the same time with values they way they are, a replacement van would be an expensive thing to sort out not to mention the stress.

Any thoughts? Bang for buck. Usability. What would you go for?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If a thief wants to take it they will find a way, but making it more difficult / time consuming to take might make them look elsewhere for easier pickings. The van has an inbuilt security system to start with, so one or two additional measures would build on this. You have a visible deterrent already, so maybe add something that prevents it from being moved by it's own power. I have no experience of the bear lock, but I have ghost installed which prevents start up without the proper pin code. I also have front/rear dash cams installed. I did look at trackers, but I'd rather prevent it being taken in the first place.

You could always leave the driver's seat rotated. I know it's a faff, but its free.
Without the key, they will struggle to get the door open, due to the deadlocks.
If you can't get the door open, then the seat is not coming round either.

Hello Campers,

Quick question. There’s been a spate of thefts locally in what is normally a very safe area.

Large MH taken two weeks ago, a nice luxury car also taken from another near by house.

Subsequently fitted a stop lock on the steering wheel. And taken to blocking the van in with another vehicle.

I know this is done to death on here, I can’t really afford to spend the money, but at the same time with values they way they are, a replacement van would be an expensive thing to sort out not to mention the stress.

Thanks.

Wheel Lock, if it’s not a Daily Driver.

Possibly use a shed/drive type basic alarm with detector in the Cali and alarm unit in the house, if close.
Something like this

If it is parked on your drive and you don’t use it every day, how about installing a bollard behind it?

If a thief wants to take it they will find a way, but making it more difficult / time consuming to take might make them look elsewhere for easier pickings. The van has an inbuilt security system to start with, so one or two additional measures would build on this. You have a visible deterrent already, so maybe add something that prevents it from being moved by it's own power. I have no experience of the bear lock, but I have ghost installed which prevents start up without the proper pin code. I also have front/rear dash cams installed. I did look at trackers, but I'd rather prevent it being taken in the first place.
So with the ghost, is it obvious from the outside so that it helps prevent someone trying to break in to the van? Or is it just something they find after having broken the physical defences?

So with the ghost, is it obvious from the outside so that it helps prevent someone trying to break in to the van? Or is it just something they find after having broken the physical defences?
They will find that the van does not start, after having broken the physical defences and by then a lot of time would have passed and they will most probably leave your van alone.

A steering lock is a good visual deterrent to start with.

You get a sticker to put on the window to indicate that you have the system installed, but one installer I used (have it on both our vehicles) said not to as it gives the thief advance notice of what you have, the other said it was a good idea as it would put the thief off breaking into the car.

Hello Campers,

Thanks.

BearLock, wheel clamps, spin drivers seat.

I have a Ghost. PITA on the rare occasion I forget to put the code in. Van isn't going anywhere.

We park the bus with the driver's door right next to the wall of the house. That way they can't force the lock on this door. The passenger door has no lock. Exit the bus through the passenger door and lock the van with the wireless key.

In addition, we turn the front wheels at an angle of 45 degrees towards the wall. This way the bus cannot be pulled away.

A bear lock makes it even more difficult for them. However, you can't do anything against hydraulic lifts.

Further actions could be: pedal lock; cutting the voltage of the OBD-port with a hidden switch; use a padlock to secure the starter battery (prevents that they exchange the starting computer under the batt).

Best measure: enjoy the Cali.

Regards from Amsterdam,

Marc.

Ring wireless camera covering the driveway & don’t leave the van keys near your front / back door.

Thanks all some good suggestions, it’s a daily driver so anything security wise needs to be easy to do or we will end up just not doing it. I’m going to think more about the ghost or bear lock. To me. The bear lock is ok unless they have your keys, that’s the good thing about the ghost I guess. Although the ghost doesn’t stop it being towed! Where as the bear lock would make it hard to tow.

Self destruct sequence like the Lotus Esprit in For Your Eyes Only ?? :)

Our next door neighbours had their 3 week old X5 taken from their driveway.

They entered their house at 2am and picked up the keys whilst they slept.

From that point on we resolved to make sure our keys are all kept in one easy to find location. The last thing I’m interested in is being woken up by strange men at 2am over some metal and rubber.

Oh and we sorted out our house locks. If you have Eurolocks you’re bang out of luck! Car thieves have a wrench that fits in the barrel and then they crack it in half, it slides out leaving a door unlocked.

A remedy is to change the locks for 6 pin ‘sacrificial’ euro locks. Very similar in design but they are designed to break under pressure in such a way that the door is still locked afterwards.

The other idea is to get an electronic tag, AirTags are good, installed somewhere difficult to find.
That way if it’s stolen you can track it down with your iPhone and a policeman.

The other idea is to get an electronic tag, AirTags are good, installed somewhere difficult to find.
That way if it’s stolen you can track it down with your iPhone and a policeman.
Oh, I think you can get detectors for those..

Oh, I think you can get detectors for those..
Rightly so. But at £25 there’s a chance it might just drop you lucky and catch the thief unaware.

Our next door neighbours had their 3 week old X5 taken from their driveway.

They entered their house at 2am and picked up the keys whilst they slept.

From that point on we resolved to make sure our keys are all kept in one easy to find location. The last thing I’m interested in is being woken up by strange men at 2am over some metal and rubber.

Oh and we sorted out our house locks. If you have Eurolocks you’re bang out of luck! Car thieves have a wrench that fits in the barrel and then they crack it in half, it slides out leaving a door unlocked.

A remedy is to change the locks for 6 pin ‘sacrificial’ euro locks. Very similar in design but they are designed to break under pressure in such a way that the door is still locked afterwards.
I went for the ABS locks a few years ago when lock 'bumping' plus snapping off was prevalent.
No protection from window glass breaking.