Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

USB-C ports in T6.1 not charging like they should

$l@k!

$l@k!

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Hey everybody

A new member with some questions... what are the odds :)

So... I'm not sure if this is a electrical or audio-navigation problem so I made a guess... If it's in the wrong section I apoligize.

The symptoms:
When I plug in my phone (Samsung Galaxy S20) it starts charging for about 20 secondes then just stops. Tried it with 4 different cables from different manufacturers.
The odd thing is when I plug in the wireless charger from Quadlock it charges fine. I do see that is takes longer to reach the full charge.
Does the USB-C in the front not support fast charging or something and cuts out when to much power is asked?

Anyone else with the same issues?

Thx everybody for the feedback (if given :) )

We initially had an issue with some cables bought from Amazon, but were given 2 VW branded cables at collection. Using the VW cables has not been an issue at all.
We have S21 Ultras :thumb
20220710_195544.jpg

Hey everybody

A new member with some questions... what are the odds :)

So... I'm not sure if this is a electrical or audio-navigation problem so I made a guess... If it's in the wrong section I apoligize.

The symptoms:
When I plug in my phone (Samsung Galaxy S20) it starts charging for about 20 secondes then just stops. Tried it with 4 different cables from different manufacturers.
The odd thing is when I plug in the wireless charger from Quadlock it charges fine. I do see that is takes longer to reach the full charge.
Does the USB-C in the front not support fast charging or something and cuts out when to much power is asked?

Anyone else with the same issues?

Thx everybody for the feedback (if given :) )
Is your phone seeing the USB C as data only? I think their is a setting somewhere for charge and data.
My Note 10 or 11 and wife s21 both charge off the vans USB.
I am using high quality cables though.

IWe initially had an issue with some cables bought from Amazon, but were given 2 VW branded cables at collection. Using the VW cables has not been an issue at all.
We have S21 Ultras :thumb
View attachment 96041
Next thing to try then... My wifes S9 charges with no problem.
I used a Samsung branded cable (the one that came with the phone, a generic thing and an Ikea cable... all the same result.
Charging starts, interrupts, charging again and then stops...

Is your phone seeing the USB C as data only? I think their is a setting somewhere for charge and data.
My Note 10 or 11 and wife s21 both charge off the vans USB.
I am using high quality cables though.
No not only data... It starts charging, interrupts, starts again and then stops...
I will try the OEM cables next.

If your wifes charges fine off the same cables the issue is more likely to be a contact issue on your phone where the cable plugs in rather than the cable itself or the cali end. Could just buy an iPhone? ;)

If your wifes charges fine off the same cables the issue is more likely to be a contact issue on your phone where the cable plugs in rather than the cable itself or the cali end. Could just buy an iPhone? ;)
Iphone :veryfunny Not really my thing... (but been thinking about it recently as we are adding it to our company webshop - oh, it's a work phone...)

The phone charges fine with the same cable and adapter in my house but worth looking at...
Maybe a battery issue... The wireless charging works a little bit longer but also stops after a coupe of minutes.

So... Went to the dealer to get the "golden" VW cable... No change... still stops charging.
Going to troubleshoot with a different phone today.
When I use a 12v socket to USB-A it charges fine.

• Sad
Reactions: Sad
If th
So... Went to the dealer to get the "golden" VW cable... No change... still stops charging.
Going to troubleshoot with a different phone today.
When I use a 12v socket to USB-A it charges fine.
If the dealer is close by could you ask to try your phone in another California to see if it charges. If it does, something's going on specific to your vehicle. If not, it's a phone related problem.

I have the vw usbc and a Samsung usbc. The vw one is fast charging whereas the Samsung 1 takes hours. Definitely worth getting the vw 1

It gets more confusing...

So VW cable 1 (I bought 2 yesterday)
  • My phone does the same things as described
  • The phone (Galaxy S21) of one of my team-members does nothing... doesn't even recognize the cable
VW cable 2
  • My phone does the same things as described
  • The phone (Galaxy S21) of one of my team-members starts charging...
This is getting weird...

Out of interest, does Android auto start up when you connect the cable?

Samsung reported intermittent charging issues some time back with the S20. It was meant to be fixed by a software update. If you've not updated to the latest software versions then you might want to try that.

May be worth a look at the socket on the phone?

I had a problem with my iPhone charging and it turned out to be a build-up of fluff in the socket. Using something thin and plastic I was able to carefully pick the fluff out and all became good.

Alan

Samsung reported intermittent charging issues some time back with the S20. It was meant to be fixed by a software update. If you've not updated to the latest software versions then you might want to try that.
Always the latest updates. I also read some articles about charging issues with this combo (VW + Samsung S20)

I tested with 4 different phones today + work.
The one of my coworker did not work with one of the 2 cables (S21) but the other phones worked like a charm. Also with 2 at a time no issues.
So I did a full reset of my phone. After it recovers the backup I'll try again.

May be worth a look at the socket on the phone?

I had a problem with my iPhone charging and it turned out to be a build-up of fluff in the socket. Using something thin and plastic I was able to carefully pick the fluff out and all became good.

Alan
That's all clean... Did that yesterday... same result.

I have the vw usbc and a Samsung usbc. The vw one is fast charging whereas the Samsung 1 takes hours. Definitely worth getting the vw 1
Thanks. Not sure what brand my cable is, but when I'm driving and using apple music/nav etc it barely charges, just stops my phone from losing as much charge.
I had assumed all USBc cables were 'fast charging' - I thought that was almost the whole point of USBc over USB?

Look at these clowns trying to charge £35 for one!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085G596QK/?tag=eliteelect-21

£12 on ebay inc postage (I have now purchased)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294993439323?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Hi, yep, exactly the same thing here (on two Samsung S10's) , I'm pretty sure it's something to do with it trying to set up a data connection when it connects. A cable that only has the power wires connected up would solve that, but there must be a setting somewhere either on the phone or the van to switch it off, if I find it I'll report back.

It work now... After a hard reset of the phone...

So when plugging in I did not get the option to put the phone in Charge only mode. The hard reset fixed that.

After setting up the wireless Android Auto I plugged in the phone and it started to start then stop then start etc... charging. After I changed the setting to charge only (since Auto is using Wifi) it holds and keeps charging.

I did this only with the Gold plated, diamond OEM cable... I will test it later today with the other non VW cables.

I guess it had something to do with the wireless Android Auto because the older non compatible phones just uses the cable and charges fine...

Back