Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

USB Sockets dash installation - Sunday project

Westie82

Westie82

VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi All,

Today I have undertaken the essential task of fitting two USB sockets to my dash. I wanted them to blend in nicely with the dash so they look as if they were factory fitted.

View attachment 13158

Last edited:
Step one, hmmmm where to put them.

10.jpg

Last edited:
Screwdriver in and panel out. Cheapo Chinese USB socket, took 4 weeks to get here but was less than a fiver each so bargain!

8.jpg

Last edited:
Really easy to drill the holes central. The back retaining rings which came with the sockets where a perfect fit on the rear of the panel so was just a case of dropping in a trailing arm washer from a T25 and then drilling though the hole. The 2 pence was used as a side spacer.

5.jpg

Last edited:
Used a hole cutter which was in a 3 piece set ordered off ebay (cost less than a fiver) and bored the hole out to the correct size using a tap wrench.

4.jpg

View attachment 13166

Last edited:
So far really happy, just stopping for a tea and then back out to wire them up!

wiring diagram ... There is a fuse on the red wire which is rated for 5 amp to protect the USB sockets.

USB RED connects to the RED AND GREY (live)

USB BLACK connects to the GREY AND BLUE

wiring.jpg

DSCF1472.JPG

23.jpg

24.jpg

Last edited:
Well done, which battery will you wire them up to, engine or leisure?

Well done, which battery will you wire them up to, engine or leisure?

Cheers Snowy, these are going to be wired into the engine battery. Going to put a couple in the back of the van which will run off the leisure batteries next week.

Nice job, I put one in that location, two looks neater though :)

Details of how I quickly added one into the rear and powered off the leisure batteries is detailed here: https://bettybus.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/more-power/

Going to add some more in the back, but going to tee that off of a solar installation when I get around to that.

Nice job, I put one in that location, two looks neater though :)

Details of how I quickly added one into the rear and powered off the leisure batteries is detailed here: https://bettybus.wordpress.com/2014/01/27/more-power/

Going to add some more in the back, but going to tee that off of a solar installation when I get around to that.

Dan, did you wire your front socket into the cig lighter as well to run off the engine battery ?

Nice write up on installing a rear USB plug, not sure what a DIN socket is used to power, are they obsolete these days ?

Last edited:
I found an unused socket behind the fuse box that was always live, so I used that for the dash socket. I've also got my dashcam wired into it, although I need to add a switch to that to stop it recording the curtains :)

DINs are popular on motorbikes and in lorries I think. We just use a converter to a ciggy socket to power a few things that won't run off USB, like laptops and for some reason the Mrs' ancient Samsung phone.

I found an unused socket behind the fuse box that was always live, so I used that for the dash socket. I've also got my dashcam wired into it, although I need to add a switch to that to stop it recording the curtains :)

DINs are popular on motorbikes and in lorries I think. We just use a converter to a ciggy socket to power a few things that won't run off USB, like laptops and for some reason the Mrs' ancient Samsung phone.

That's a good idea getting a dash cam hard wired, are both the cam and the usb socket powered from the leisure battery ?

No, engine battery for camera and dash sockets.

Leisure for everything in the back.

Cool, just what I wanted to hear :thumb . First time adding a socket so was wondering if I was making the right choice wiring it into the engine battery. Only going to be using the front sockets mostly whilst driving so the battery is getting charged in any case.

Depends on what you want to use them for I guess. I added the dash ones to primarily to power the TomTom. My phone is usually plugged directly into the stereo as it provides the tunes and charges as we drive. We don't tend to use the dash ones when parked up.

The dash cam does switch itself off when it gets bored. It also talks occasionally. I forgot to tell my neighbor about it when he drove the van to the garage he was working at for it's MOT and he now believes my van to be haunted :)

Both sockets work a treat, the only thing is that the LED's stay constantly on as the cig lighter supply is permanent live.

I guess the draw is going to be minuscule to get worried about ?

LED.jpg

Ok, now to start thinking about the rear USB sockets that will run from the leisure batteries. Been having a browse on ebay and have come across this 4 socket panel, £10.43 posted from China, seems pretty decent for the price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-USB-Socket-Voltmeter-12V-Power-Socket-4-Hole-Panel-ON-OFF-BT-fr-Car-Truck-QS4S/361391272341?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140122125356&meid=2bc7d3ee898d450f8cc27c78d988f4bc&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&mehot=pp&sd=301846768882

Like the idea of having up to 4 sockets as you can buy the individual units and easily customise the configuration at any stage down the line. If I install the 4 panel one I will ditch the DIN.

I could also stick with just installing 2 USB sockets.

What do you guys think, which set up looks best in layout terms ?

usb 2.jpg

2 usb copy.jpg

4 usb copy.jpg

Last edited:
Be aware there isn't a great deal of room behind that panel, that may scupper your plans a little.

However, when you take the panel off, you can sort out that seatbelt! :D

Back