Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Used 2021 Coast with 57k miles

How much more 'full fat' is the Ocean over the Coast? OK I don't have LED headlights, digital dash, electric roof or double glazing........ but I have everything else. A Coast represents very good value if the above don't really matter to you (they don't make it drive any better).
Full fat as in it came with most options as standard whereas the Coast you could pick and choose more. ie. 3 zone a/c, fog lights, led lights, f&r parking sensors, discover media inc nav, bigger wheels, option of larger engine etc etc..... I'm definitely not slating the Coast but think that these days spending over 55/65k on a used Cali most people expect 3 zone a/c, LED's, sensors etc. The manual roof is the biggie for me.

I get it, maybe I was lucky with mine when i bought it just over 18 months old. I don't have the 3 zone aircon, lane assist, power slider or panoramic tent windows.......... all i can cope without personally. I do have all the rest tho including Pro Nav and tow bar. I think I'm OK with that.

My point is that a Coast can offer many people the essentials without breaking the bank :thumb

Choosing the Coast saved me about 10K Euro vs an equivalently optioned Ocean with like for like 4Mo, DSG and 204HP motor and that was with all the goodies. What I lack is the digital cockpit, hydraulic poptop and double glazing. Hardly 10K's worth. And to be honest the double glazing is the only one of the three that I would have wanted, but can live without. The Coast was the perfect blank canvas.

Choosing the Coast saved me about 10K Euro vs an equivalently optioned Ocean with like for like 4Mo, DSG and 204HP motor and that was with all the goodies. What I lack is the digital cockpit, hydraulic poptop and double glazing. Hardly 10K's worth. And to be honest the double glazing is the only one of the three that I would have wanted, but can live without. The Coast was the perfect blank canvas.
But it says you have an Ocean 204 4motion?

same for me, I configured my Beach Camper at a similar level as on Ocean, including digital dash, LED, even some extra options for an Ocean, as red bellow and middle swivel chair, and ended up 15k euro saved.
the manual roof didn't count as I preferred that way.
I don't have the cupboards and sink, anyway no use, do have a Makita 25l accu fridge on wheels, could also be used outside van, a significant larger bed down, and option to put skis and boards or longer items inside van on left side.
really thrilled!

Just an update from my original post…I finally ordered a new beach camper today with a ton of extras. Thanks for pointing me to DLD @andyinluton. Very happy with my purchase! Had been tempted by the full kitchen and other items in the surf but I had a budget and the beach camper gives me everything I need. Roll on July!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A new beach! Glad for you. And then full of options, great. Happy travels!
I chose a coast at the time and am still very happy with this choice over the ocean. In the UK the ocean was full of what were almost all options in many countries in Europe.
Our coast has - and I use andyinluton's list for convenience - the following options:
17" steel wheels (with 215/60 R17 C Continental Vancontact 4season tires)
17" chassis - bigger brakes (5-seater)
Privacy glass: yes
Expensive stereo: discover media
Voice control: yes
comfort lighting: yes
floor mats: yes, rubber (3 pieces)
fog lights: yes
No heated seats (and did not need this)
No lane assist (don’t like this)
navigation: yes (expensive stereo unit)
park assist: (edit) yes, front and back
power latching slider: sliding door closing aid.
rear view camera: yes
3 zone aircon: yes (another expensive extra)
wired app connect only: Connection with phone when I enter / expensive stereo you know ;)
sliding window, kitchen side only: I have both sides.
additional pockets on back front seats: yes (standard)

Full panoramic opening front pop top: yes
Folding door mirrors: check
Same seat upholstery as ocean (free).
I have the auxiliary diesel heater.
I also included an 80-liter fuel tank, the fifth seat, induction charging function for telephone, automatic high beams and dynamic cruise control.

I took for over 13000 euro options (got about the same discount + bike rack) and still over 6000 euro (if I remember correctly) less than a similar equipped ocean in Belgium (with the same discounts).
150 Hp and dsg.
Free colour (ascot grey)
Ordered end of August 2020, delivered and paid begin April 2022.
I have no led lights and to be fair: I’d better ordered them. (The price difference between ours and a similarly equipped Ocean -but with its electro-hydraulic roof- would then be approximately 4500 euros and for me this is still considerable, especially because I wanted a manual roof).
I have double glazing.
No digital dashboard: didn’t think it was worth the extra money as I think they should put it as standard because even every replacement car (eg seat arona) at my dealer has it.
So, I do agree to a certain extent that it could be a bit more interesting in the UK to look for a secondhand standard fully equipped ocean and then you also have the electro-hydraulic roof. That I didn’t want and that is why I started with the coast with its manual roof as a blank canvas.
Oh, and I have door handles and mirror housing in matte black and less plastic chrome on the grill but I don’t mind.
If there is one thing I am certain about the california, it is this: everyone has their own opinion about it and we're all right about ours. This is a nice thought: everyone has their choice and none is wrong.

Last edited:
Just an update from my original post…I finally ordered a new beach camper today with a ton of extras. Thanks for pointing me to DLD @andyinluton. Very happy with my purchase! Had been tempted by the full kitchen and other items in the surf but I had a budget and the beach camper gives me everything I need. Roll on July!

congrats!
have you ordered with 2 seat bench in the rear or 3?

congrats!
have you ordered with 2 seat bench in the rear or 3?

Cheers! Very happy. One of the last 6.1 orders apparently or at least they all seem to be closing in a couple of days.

I went for the 2 seater option in the end…mainly for the bench storage. However , I stumbled upon a video that suggested you couldn’t sit up properly on the bed when the bench was down. I haven’t personally checked that one but I think the 2 seater option works best for us all the same.

Cheers! Very happy. One of the last 6.1 orders apparently or at least they all seem to be closing in a couple of days.

I went for the 2 seater option in the end…mainly for the bench storage. However , I stumbled upon a video that suggested you couldn’t sit up properly on the bed when the bench was down. I haven’t personally checked that one but I think the 2 seater option works best for us all the same.

perfect choice!
the bench storage (quite large and very useful to keep various) and the space on the left you can use for long items.
you can not sit up properly on the down bed in 3 SEAT BENCH configuration, as the the 3 seat bench is higher up when flat.
also you can not properly open the hob (presumably not needed) in bed configuration.
2 seat bench is exactly as in Ocean (same bench) with the enormous plus to have a sensible wider bed down.
again, great job, at the last minute!

perfect choice!
the bench storage (quite large and very useful to keep various) and the space on the left you can use for long items.
you can not sit up properly on the down bed in 3 SEAT BENCH configuration, as the the 3 seat bench is higher up when flat.
also you can not properly open the hob (presumably not needed) in bed configuration.
2 seat bench is exactly as in Ocean (same bench) with the enormous plus to have a sensible wider bed down.

Thank you! How long have you had yours?

I’m now going down the rabbit hole on accessories …if you have any good recommendations then please let me know

just to ilustrate the wider bed and practical space on the leftIMG_6586.jpgIMG_6589.jpgIMG_6592.jpgIMG_6597.jpg.
pardon the booze...

Looks brilliant. You are most definitely well stocked haha

Thank you! How long have you had yours?

I’m now going down the rabbit hole on accessories …if you have any good recommendations then please let me know

one year and a half or so now, delivered Oct. 2022, MY 2023.
the list of accessories starts wit the rear window bags you can see in the pictures above from VanEssa Camping, I will send you a link, great use.
to be continued...

Thanks! I’ll look into that. Do you have a drive away awning you’d recommend? I’ve seen a few online but realise not everyone needs one.

Thanks! I’ll look into that. Do you have a drive away awning you’d recommend? I’ve seen a few online but realise not everyone needs one.

I don't, no need for me.

perfect choice!
I think the head rests are different on the 2 seater beach to the ocean. Beach pull out, ocean use to fold down back (little neater guessing t6.1 still does).
I nearly went for a 2seater beach love the fact the hob is usable with bed down unlike the 3 seater.

I think the head rests are different on the 2 seater beach to the ocean. Beach pull out, ocean use to fold down back (little neater guessing t6.1 still does).
I nearly went for a 2seater beach love the fact the hob is usable with bed down unlike the 3 seater.
you are perfectly right, the had rests are foldable on the Ocean.
yes, plenty of clearance for the hob, and the down bed is significantly larger, 30 cm extra wide is huge in a Cali.
and the luminous interior, the extra space without cupboards and sink, a clean, simple and bright design, I simply love it!
and don't forget that you still have the storage space on the left side up to the level of the bench, always usable on top for long items as skis, boards, etc.
much better and versatile configuration than 3 seater bench, and if you need the 5th seat you can at any point put a swivel chair on 2nd row, job done. (which I did, rarely used, but peace of mind that I have it in the garage and could have a 5 seater van when necessary)

Back