Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Used Cali prices

Maud

Maud

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi again (sorry for asking so many questions on here already!),

I read somewhere (I think it was somewhere on the forum but can't find it now) that used Cali prices can go up significantly in the summer months and I'm wondering how true this is and whether there is any sort of workable price guide for Californias of different ages and specifications...

Looking through the For Sale section on here, since February a '57 130 SE was up for £27,500, another '57 130 went for £26,500, a 2008 174 auto (very low mileage) was up for £29,500 and a '57 174 auto (with Brandrup galore) went for £27,995. I've also seen a 2010 180 DSG that was up for £30,995 back in October 2013 (though I think this must have been an exception!), and that's if any or all of these went for the asking price. However, there is also a 2007 130 on here now for £29,500 and a 2008 174 that just went for £29995... I know that added extras, condition and mileage will have an impact on prices, but even taking that into account there still seems to be an overall lack of consistency. Is it simply a case of the Cali being worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, and what the owner wants to achieve, with no real parity of prices?

Has anyone on here waited until the autumn/winter to buy their used California and, if so, do you think you got a deal that was worth missing the summer for? Although I am itching to buy mine as soon as possible, I also don't want to throw my money away if waiting a few months would save me a good chunk of money (which could then be spent on accessorising or camping trips). On the other hand, if it is just a case that used prices are completely all over the place and it all depends on the seller, then I can keep my hopes up for finding one a little sooner!

:thanks in advance for any of your thoughts!
Maud

The price guides, Parkers, Glasses & the like are all on the low side. The fact that not many Californias are sold new here keeps the used prices up. I think a lot of it is supply & demand.
At the end of the day anything is only worth what someone will pay for it.
It also depends what extras used Calis have & weather they meet a buyers wishes.
Yes you will get a better deal from a dealer in the winter months & at the end of the month as with any car purchase.

At the end of the day if you see a Cali that ticks most of your boxes & is within you budget I would suggest you buy quickly. I would not wait till winter as you might not find one that ticks your boxes then.

Hope that is of some help.

There is such demand for Cali's, that the prices hold up well. We start averting ours in september, and if they haven't sold by the end of October we hear nothing until well into the new year, but they still sell for the same price as we originally advertised :thumb

Thank you for your replies, Andy and BMVS. I guess I just need to keep checking constantly and waiting (as patiently as I can) for the right Cali - at a price I can afford - to come up. I am quite open minded about most things, as long as the price is right so hopefully it won't take too long.

I will keep watching my lottery tickets too - that could speed things up :lol:

:thanks
Maud

Back