Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Prices of used vans

My 2016 Beach was valued at £41130 by WeBuyanyCar, mine is immaculate so they would struggle to find anything to reduce the price. Might be time to sell

My 2nd Beach has gone up 6k since I sold it in March!!

My 2016 Beach was valued at £41130 by WeBuyanyCar, mine is immaculate so they would struggle to find anything to reduce the price. Might be time to
My 2016 Beach was valued at £41130 by WeBuyanyCar, mine is immaculate so they would struggle to find anything to reduce the price. Might be time to sell
My 2nd Beach has gone up 6k since I sold it in March!!
Its madness isn’t it!! I think it’ll be post summer 2022 until we see a reduction - or maybe it’ll just be a flattening off. Time will tell…

Adding this onto an old thread. We have just recently bought a used California Ocean. Arguably at the worst possible time, but having sold my old (1985) van we couldn’t be without for any longer!! We will (hopefully) have the van for ten or more years all being well so the fact I may have paid more than 2 years ago isn’t too much of a concern. Life is too short and I wasn’t prepared to wait for prices to come back down again when we could be out enjoying it. But that’s just it. Will they? Our local conversion centre seems to have upped their prices considerably (see below for example). I don’t know how they will manage to sneak them back down again should the time come that we “go back to normal” and can travel as freely as pre-pandemic. Maybe they will introduce permanent “special offer” deals. Or are these inflated prices here to stay??? Also - thoughts on a conversion costing close to £58k?!?

View attachment 80256
Absolutely spot on, life is way too short and unpredictable to wait. If you can do it, do it, if you can’t then find a way is our motto. We’ve known too many friends over the years with retirement plans that never materialised as either they didn’t make retirement or became ill.
Enjoy your new Ocean.

Thought I’d run my first California BEACH through WBAC… i paid just over 39k new in 2016.

View attachment 80263

2017 Beach: paid £42,222. 65,000 miles.

June Valuation

80a4a3c11a45e2ca4386e66639383092.jpg

May Valuation

001a54522e737de12837d1f26cb74362.jpg

I fair few on this forum are retired. A fair few van/motorhome buyers are retired. According to Andrea Leadsom today, some people are coming out of furlough and Covid and thinking about not going back to work and retiring early. I’m sure there’s some truth in that. That could be tens of thousands of people changing their life plans. Similar to the thousands moving house. That could keep values high for a good couple of years.

If we sell then we’re without a van until a new one arrives.
I bought our full spec 2008 in 2009 for £36k. WBAC valued it at £27k and for a private sale I would try for £30k. It’s spotless with every extra and 50k miles. Amazing that would be 12years fun for £6k depreciation!
Even if we ordered a new van and didn’t sell to until it was delivered, the fly in the ointment is ‘how much is a new van?’
Truth be told I don’t really want a new van. There are some nice new colours but I love our grey leather/ yellow alcantara seats and our 2.5 174 Auto engine has no belts and no adblue etc.
Since I put CarPlay in it, it’s like a new van anyway!

2017 Beach: paid £42,222. 65,000 miles.

June Valuation

80a4a3c11a45e2ca4386e66639383092.jpg

May Valuation

001a54522e737de12837d1f26cb74362.jpg
So what age is your van? And where do you get it fixed? A dealer?
I’m sorted for mechanicals but can’t find a good dealer. (Don’t currently need one)
Noticed “Eltham Palace road”

So what age is your van? And where do you get it fixed? A dealer?
I’m sorted for mechanicals but can’t find a good dealer. (Don’t currently need one)
Noticed “Eltham Palace road”

We’ve had Amarillo since new on 1 March 2017, so a little over 4;3 old.

The area we live in is between areas: our road is in three London boroughs. We pay council tax to Greenwich but Lewisham and Bromley maintain the road and pavement!

Greenwich say we live in Eltham; Lewisham say it’s Lee and Bromley call it Mottingham. I think it’s Grove Park.

I take the van to SMG Tonbridge for service and repair. They followed my blog as we travelled around Europe and look after us well.

I fair few on this forum are retired. A fair few van/motorhome buyers are retired. According to Andrea Leadsom today, some people are coming out of furlough and Covid and thinking about not going back to work and retiring early. I’m sure there’s some truth in that. That could be tens of thousands of people changing their life plans. Similar to the thousands moving house. That could keep values high for a good couple of years.

If we sell then we’re without a van until a new one arrives.
I bought our full spec 2008 in 2009 for £36k. WBAC valued it at £27k and for a private sale I would try for £30k. It’s spotless with every extra and 50k miles. Amazing that would be 12years fun for £6k depreciation!
Even if we ordered a new van and didn’t sell to until it was delivered, the fly in the ointment is ‘how much is a new van?’
Truth be told I don’t really want a new van. There are some nice new colours but I love our grey leather/ yellow alcantara seats and our 2.5 174 Auto engine has no belts and no adblue etc.
Since I put CarPlay in it, it’s like a new van anyway!
In my 6th year of retirement and I can thoroughly recommend it.

She may well be right, but I doubt that Andrea’s husband will retire anytime soon :).

He’s at a Hedge Fund that has not one, but two private jets, and his bonuses are allegedly stratospheric. I know this as I occasionally play golf with Andrea’s dad, Richard and hear the odd story ………

We’ve had Amarillo since new on 1 March 2017, so a little over 4;3 old.

The area we live in is between areas: our road is in three London boroughs. We pay council tax to Greenwich but Lewisham and Bromley maintain the road and pavement!

Greenwich say we live in Eltham; Lewisham say it’s Lee and Bromley call it Mottingham. I think it’s Grove Park.

I take the van to SMG Tonbridge for service and repair. They followed my blog as we travelled around Europe and look after us well.
Yes the reviews of them seem ok. Have they fixed anything camping wise?
An hour away for me but if I could leave overnight that would be ok. Thanks for help. I mean there’s no decent dealers in London.
I asked SMG Croydon to replace the pump (£18) in the water tank. They quoted £1000 and said they would have to remove external body panels to access it!

Last edited:
Absolutely spot on, life is way too short and unpredictable to wait. If you can do it, do it, if you can’t then find a way is our motto. We’ve known too many friends over the years with retirement plans that never materialised as either they didn’t make retirement or became ill.
Enjoy your new Ocean.
Thank you, it absolutely is. There’s too many memories waiting to be made and you can’t take it with you (money that is)

Yes the reviews of them seem ok. Have they fixed anything camping wise?
An hour away for me but if I could leave overnight that would be ok. Thanks for help. I mean there’s no decent dealers in London.
I asked SMG Croydon to replace the pump (£18) in the water tank. They quoted £1000 and said they would have to remove external body panels to access it!

There is not much camping wise on a Beach to replace.

We’ve had a replacement camping chair.

Replacement seals around the door frames.

Replacement spring in the passenger side grab handle.

Replacement camping chair bag.

Replacement high brake light.

They refused a replacement sun canopy under warranty. (It creases when wound in during hot weather, they tested in cold weather).

When I leave the van with them I take my Brompton, cycle to Tonbridge Station, and get the train home, changing from a fast train to a stopping train at Orpington (Tonbridge to Grove Park is just 35 minutes including the change).

If the van’s in for just an hour or two I take the dog for a walk along the River Medway.

Have used prices peaked?

I've been monitoring used prices for the last couple of months and it looks like asking prices for nearly new low mileage vans are starting to drop.

I've seen Oceans that were sale on here very quickly appear as trade sales on Autotrader with a markup to just under £70k. Top spec beaches at an eye-watering £60k.

A few of the longer running adverts have now reduced in price.

I think the other factor is the number of vans for sale. Autotrader currently has 55 units for sale. I can't remember ever seeing that many for sale at one time.

Have used prices peaked?

I've been monitoring used prices for the last couple of months and it looks like asking prices for nearly new low mileage vans are starting to drop.

I've seen Oceans that were sale on here very quickly appear as trade sales on Autotrader with a markup to just under £70k. Top spec beaches at an eye-watering £60k.

A few of the longer running adverts have now reduced in price.

I think the other factor is the number of vans for sale. Autotrader currently has 55 units for sale. I can't remember ever seeing that many for sale at one time.
As soon as the prices drop the number of vans for sale will drop as well. Lots of people who didn’t consider selling last year have been tempted this year by such high selling prices plus the really looooong waiting times for a new vehicle. 4 years ago I was almost tempted into buying a new van. Mine was only 2 years old and 10,000 and mint. Emailed Sinclairs for a price as a trade in, they came back with £28k. Told him to get stuffed. The van is now probably worth around £42k. So probably did the right thing by keeping i

Just looking back to my first or second post on here - just pre Covid ( jan 2020)….

Briefly - we have been looking for a while ....
We are now in the position to buy without finance - if the price is right!
We were looking this winter at getting a beach from a dealer, however a good friend of mine has offered me first refusal on his 2016 on 16 plate ocean ( this is the actual van that has fired my interest up in Calis from the start)- 2.0d 4motion tech - 47k. It’s Been his daily driver with a couple of Europe trips a year since he got it in 16 as an ex demo. No kids but dies have well behaved dogs! Couple of extras I’m not too sure about and 4 bike rack. . Never been cooked in, top hasn’t been slept in ( I’ve actually been away a few times with him). VW Serviced. I’m pretty much aware of everything the van has been through over the past few years and have even driven it.
I’m really tempted. And it feels like a fair price to me too after checking around at £36k-“

I was extremely hesitant - it was a hell of a chunk of money …then Covid - and I really did think I’d slipped up and bought a pig in a poke when it didn’t turn a wheel for six months …
FF one year later …. Incredible
Carpe diem…

579EF259-6457-4F5B-8945-CED00F9260D2.jpeg

Just looking back to my first or second post on here - just pre Covid ( jan 2020)….

We were looking this winter at getting a beach from a dealer, however a good friend of mine has offered me first refusal on his 2016 on 16 plate ocean ( this is the actual van that has fired my interest up in Calis from the start)- 2.0d 4motion tech - 47k. It’s Been his daily driver with a couple of Europe trips a year since he got it in 16 as an ex demo. No kids but dies have well behaved dogs! Couple of extras I’m not too sure about and 4 bike rack. . Never been cooked in, top hasn’t been slept in ( I’ve actually been away a few times with him). VW Serviced. I’m pretty much aware of everything the van has been through over the past few years and have even driven it.
I’m really tempted. And it feels like a fair price to me too after checking around at £36k-“

I was extremely hesitant - it was a hell of a chunk of money …then Covid - and I really did think I’d slipped up and bought a pig in a poke when it didn’t turn a wheel for six months …
Carpe diem…

View attachment 80824
You tempted to realise 10 grand and order a new one?
Presumably if WBAC will give you 46, it’s worth 10% more than that?

You tempted to realise 10 grand and order a new one?
Presumably if WBAC will give you 46, it’s worth 10% more than that?
We Thought about it
Then thought we’d quit while ahead!

Carpe diem…

View attachment 80824
Bet you're friends hacked off or not bothered. He sold that to you very cheap. That's not just covid increase, you paid well under market prices there but well done. Your gain.

Bet you're friends hacked off or not bothered. He sold that to you very cheap. That's not just covid increase, you paid well under market prices there but well done. Your gain.
He’s a good lad. I’d sort him out a couple of quid if I did sell it for a profit He knew I was getting it cheap at the time - at the time he offered it to me for the same money VW were giving him part ex against a new t6 transporter for his business and cleared his finance with a couple of grand.
then he spent March- august last year laughing at me with it sat sorned on my drive !
I hadn’t discussed it with him until last week when he was looking for another van for one of his staff and he happened to put the Cali Reg into WBaVan out of curiosity ! He wasn’t laughing then !

unbelievable - just for kicks, I had a look at how much WeBuyAnyCar would offer for my Ocean 6.1 I bought as a delivery miles demo back in December - 300 less than I paid for it. So goodness only knows how much I could get for it if I put it on auto trader.

The annoying thing is that knowing I could turn a significant profit by selling it on right now forces me to make the decision whether I would buy my Cali all over again - truth is I would likely never have bought it if it had cost a few thousand more then it did. So now that's it worth a few thousand more - well, yeh, it's an odd thing. In a way I should be celebrating my good fortune, but actually it's kinda stressing me out!

Buy it
Enjoy it
Enjoyment ends or other happens
Sell it
Owner No 2
Buy it
Enjoy it
Enjoyment ends or other happens
Sell it
And so it continues

unbelievable - just for kicks, I had a look at how much WeBuyAnyCar would offer for my Ocean 6.1 I bought as a delivery miles demo back in December - 300 less than I paid for it. So goodness only knows how much I could get for it if I put it on auto trader.

The annoying thing is that knowing I could turn a significant profit by selling it on right now forces me to make the decision whether I would buy my Cali all over again - truth is I would likely never have bought it if it had cost a few thousand more then it did. So now that's it worth a few thousand more - well, yeh, it's an odd thing. In a way I should be celebrating my good fortune, but actually it's kinda stressing me out!
Enjoy owning it or enjoy selling it for more than you thought it was worth. There’s no downside

Back