Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Useful Accessory

C

Camper jim

Hi everyone!

This is my first post and I just wanted to say hi and show you all a link to a useful addon I found. If/when I get a cali this would top of my list as I would also need to use it as a day to day vehicle and I would hate to damage anything in the van because I didn't secure a heavy load properly.

http://www.fahrzeugeinrichtung24.de...aladapter-f-r-VW-Multivan-Schienensystem.html

Its a german site but Google Chrome does a good job of translating.

Sorry if this is already common knowledge or there is a better place to get them (uk?), I haven't seen them anywhere.

My wife and I have spent the last month trying to work out what spec we would go for on a new cali only to be told yesterday that the lead times for DSG is 8-12 months!!! It's taken a long time for me to come to terms with spending this kind of money on a vehicle and now I have I can't have the one I want! :censor

Also thanks to everyone on this site - It was been a fantastic source of information and seems very friendly! I really hope I can join the ranks of Cali owner soon!

Jim

Welcome to the club :)
Not been a member long ,but found the Cali community very friendly and helpful .. Is dsg really that important ... The manual is a lovely box and positioned so well in the cab :)

choplee said:
Welcome to the club :)
Not been a member long ,but found the Cali community very friendly and helpful .. Is dsg really that important ... The manual is a lovely box and positioned so well in the cab :)

Agreed - the manual box was actually a big factor in choosing a T5 over anything else. I love the position of it and it's very slick! Also need fine control for light off roading - I don't find semi autos quite give you that level of it.

What do you plan to secure?

I once worked for a veg wholesalers in sales - occasionally I had to deliver stuff too. On one occasions I had two pallets of spuds in the back of a Merc Sprinter. Someone else had secured the load and I wasn't happy with it - but was "told" to hurry and get going. Of course I had to slam on the brakes for some silly women who pulled out in front of me, the load shifted and the back end kicked right out to the offside! JUST managed to keep control but it certainly showed how important it is to secure heavy loads!!

Good luck with the search!

Thanks for the welcome!

choplee + kernowlad - Your probibily right about the DSG not being important and the point about fine control. The main reason we wanted one was we test drove one and it felt really slick and smooth (very relaxing not having to think about gear changes!). Also we tested a manual (on the eco Beach and a Berghaus) and in general it was fine but I did notice a very slight pulsing or juddering on lifting the clutch (on both vans). Is this normal? Maybe just because they were new? Or maybe my lack of expirience driving Diesels? Did you guys notice this?

What do you plan to secure?
The main thing I can think of at the moment is Bass guitar equipment (Amp,cabs etc) as I'm in a band but I'm sure there will be plenty other things that crop up.

Thanks!

Jim

I'd DEFINITELY secure bass amps (my Dad is an ex pro bass player and still does a bit here and there!) having had to lug a few around!

The DSG is very good indeed but I reckon the manual is too - many/most swear by DSG but I actively sought a manual. We have 4Motion and occasionally go fairly off the beaten track. From a lot of green laning and building site driving, I find manuals better for not getting stuck (our BMW is full auto and is a devil for getting stuck on anything but tarmac!!). I can see the attraction of the DSG box too though - neither is "better" they just suit different needs. DSG has a slight mpg penalty.

Have you driven many diesels? They do need fairly fine cloth control partly due to high torque numbers even at low revs. A technique I learned in cop training is the "sustained" down change - it's a bit complicated but basically leads to near seamless down changes. If you treat a diesel fairly harshly, it will feels a bit harsh.

Back