Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Uninterested Cali Owners

folks are tricky wherever you find them and whatever they drive... recently had a most enjoyable couple of hours parked next to a young family travelling in an old army lorry with woodburner , stained glass windows and geraniums... they seemed as intrigued by Herman as I was by their lovely, carefully crafted abode. Had I been forty years younger might have offered a swap..... settled for providing coffee and cake while their beautiful children had a scramble around everywhere ...

Personally I think a Gallic shrug is in order.

Hospitality was extended, it was not reciprocated,that's life.

A Gallic shrug, thoughts of "suits me, obviously not my types anyway" and get the decent plonk out and not the chateau Tesco that is normally reserved for first meets.

A Gallic shrug in post Brexit Britain could be seen as provocative!

Alstevens; this, to me, represents the best of campervanning, caravaning and motorhoming. Thumbs up to you for sharing and may it repeat itself. Thus far we have only used campsites in France and Spain, they have been lovely and friendly. In early December I will have my first experience on a Caravaning Club site. I trust it will be as friendly as the ones we have come across thus far.

Alstevens; this, to me, represents the best of campervanning, caravaning and motorhoming. Thumbs up to you for sharing and may it repeat itself. Thus far we have only used campsites in France and Spain, they have been lovely and friendly. In early December I will have my first experience on a Caravaning Club site. I trust it will be as friendly as the ones we have come across thus far.

I could write volumes about some of the "nose up rear" people I have found on CC sites but for every negative there is a positive and even when seemingly surrounded by a sea of anti-social misery I have still found gems.

The one that always lights up my face is Ayr CC site, winter 2015. My van was covered in salt and mud when I arrived. The distaste many must have felt when I parked amongst their shiny, pristine white boxes. I was shattered, been driving through sleet, snow, mud, floods for days before emerging into somewhere civilised with showers and loo's and hot water.

I got out to hook up the electrics. Plugged a 10 metre into the van, clearly not long enough so attached another 10 metre, still three foot short of the bollard. I stood there looking totally vacant and stupid, with a blue end in one hand and the other hand in my hair wondering if I could shift the van sideways three feet when stood there was a lovely little man with another cable. "Here, borrow this, it's a spare"....

Nodding my grateful thanks and thinking about putting the kettle on and offering my kind neighbour a cup of tea when over popped his wife.... with a cup of tea for me! "I thought you might like this....".

That was it, no late night partying, no all afternoon telling me their life story or insisting they have a two hour nosey around my van, just plain, unadulterated, spontaneous kindness.

I could write volumes about some of the "nose up rear" people I have found on CC sites but for every negative there is a positive and even when seemingly surrounded by a sea of anti-social misery I have still found gems.

The one that always lights up my face is Ayr CC site, winter 2015. My van was covered in salt and mud when I arrived. The distaste many must have felt when I parked amongst their shiny, pristine white boxes. I was shattered, been driving through sleet, snow, mud, floods for days before emerging into somewhere civilised with showers and loo's and hot water.

I got out to hook up the electrics. Plugged a 10 metre into the van, clearly not long enough so attached another 10 metre, still three foot short of the bollard. I stood there looking totally vacant and stupid, with a blue end in one hand and the other hand in my hair wondering if I could shift the van sideways three feet when stood there was a lovely little man with another cable. "Here, borrow this, it's a spare"....

Nodding my grateful thanks and thinking about putting the kettle on and offering my kind neighbour a cup of tea when over popped his wife.... with a cup of tea for me! "I thought you might like this....".

That was it, no late night partying, no all afternoon telling me their life story or insisting they have a two hour nosey around my van, just plain, unadulterated, spontaneous kindness.

A cup of tea!

I had hoped for a "handsome young movie star type besotted with my California. Little did I realise his attachment extended to its owner, and then some. The rest shall remain a mysteries, as all mysteries must!"

;)

We had just couple months of travelling in total. I didn't notice much of a community though ;)
Most people we met don't even wave back. (mostly germans)
And as for talking definitely not more interest than with regular nonCali travelers.
Met some people who owned the Cali in the past and were happy about those travels. :D

Over the years we've had tents and caravans and have had one weekend with our 'try before you buy' campervan. We've come across very friendly people and some who are not - that's life!

My neighbours today have not left their caravan all day, and when I do see them they just grunt, I have seen through their window today Jeremy Kyle, Homes under the hammer, etc.. then the soaps tonight. Not sure why they did not just stay at home?

Hi, To everyone.
I have just come across this thread and I am simply amazed at the way some seem to enjoy posting their personal feelings towards others.
Up to now my many reads of posts have been so helpful, I have picked up so much from so many, the information and help I have received/discovered has been so helpful as a newbie. I am sure I have been saved from making expensive or embarrassing mistakes.

Thinking what a great site and great bunch of people.

But!
I have difficulty in understanding why the thread was posted?
Also,
What did Rob Griffiths do differently than that of others? He just expressed his views. Yet he is condemned?
Also that of others expressing their view.

We are all different, we also have good and bad days. If you step into someone else's world I think you should be respectful of their views. Whether you think right or wrong.

Those that have decided to be judge and jury should be ashamed of themselves...

I guess I will get some form of rebuff for posting this...

I will take this opportunity to thank all those again who have posted and discussed some really helpful and interesting topics.

Cheers.

^ You are quite right my friend ^. No rebuff from me.
Introducing the 'open house chit chat' section started the belief that it was ok to come on here and spill your personal bile. If it stayed just in that section, it wouldn't be so bad, but it leaks over into everyday threads like this.
Open house chit chat may drive up visitor numbers, (some members have got to 500 posts and haven't got a van yet), but it is spoiling the forum.
It divides members when this should be a place for enjoying the things we share.

Hi, To everyone.
I have just come across this thread and I am simply amazed at the way some seem to enjoy posting their personal feelings towards others.
Up to now my many reads of posts have been so helpful, I have picked up so much from so many, the information and help I have received/discovered has been so helpful as a newbie. I am sure I have been saved from making expensive or embarrassing mistakes.

Thinking what a great site and great bunch of people.

But!
I have difficulty in understanding why the thread was posted?
Also,
What did Rob Griffiths do differently than that of others? He just expressed his views. Yet he is condemned?
Also that of others expressing their view.

We are all different, we also have good and bad days. If you step into someone else's world I think you should be respectful of their views. Whether you think right or wrong.

Those that have decided to be judge and jury should be ashamed of themselves...

I guess I will get some form of rebuff for posting this...

I will take this opportunity to thank all those again who have posted and discussed some really helpful and interesting topics.

Cheers.

Good post.

Without naming anyone some members seem to behave like they have not outgrown terrible twos at times. My 4 year old at home now displays considerably greater maturity, analytical ability, and respect for others than some here do.

Often the less reasoned the post the more they resort to personal insults and invective.

I would not say it is encouraged by forum moderators but certainly they seem to be able to get away with all the mindless rants at others. In reply, if someone tries to engage rationally and with no personal insults then those posts are often deleted by mods.

Could it be that like prefers like?

The way to approach forums like this is to realise there is a prevailing culture where one may not fit in.

Imagine walking into a pub where your appearance, attire, and manner marks you out as foreign. Say a hundred sullen resentful eyes turn on you, and people are quick to find fault or blame you because you upset them. Imagine say reading the N.Y. Times in a pub where everyone reads say only the Daily Mail.

It would be pointless to appeal to the publican at that point. They are likely comfortable and tolerant of theur existing clientele.

It is you who is the problem.

At such a point one either leaves, or frequents only out of necessity, or doesn't give a damn. I am of latter mind set while my other half is of former.

Never say anything to anyone on social media you would not say to their face. So many have come unstuck and a few have been caught posting their vitriol. They usually turn out to be some little fat harmless looking black hole of need who look as though they would not say boo to a goose. Just remember that everyone seems normal until you actually get to know them.

Tried to make conversation with another Cali owner today at Tesco car park, made me feel like I was some poo on their shoe. Sorry if you are on here but I was only trying to make light conversation.

No worries, I was only trying make polite conversation and asking if you and your wife fancied a glass of wine this evening with us. I won't bother in future, it is a shame as everyone was so freindly at the Cali meet in June. I will keep my gob shut in future so as I dod not offend any one.
I think he was joking mate. I'm suspecting it wasn't him

Tried to make conversation with another Cali owner today at Tesco car park, made me feel like I was some poo on their shoe. Sorry if you are on here but I was only trying to make light conversation.
try Waitrose car park next time

I've been to a cali meet. and to vw meets . I prefer the vw crowd. love their vans. love to chat about cali too. and holy smoke can those guys drink. but then I found cali crowd equally chatty. I love a good van chin wag me. get those beers on the go. but the cali crowd need to up their drinking prowess to impress the old vw crews.oh. as for the thread I think the bloke was mardy for not chatting at least for a minute or 2. it's not like he was taking a dump or on the body is it?

We went to our local VW meet at a pub back in the summer, we had the newest van there as it was mainly T2s, T4's T5 conversions etc.. They did not want to make any conversion with us at all and it all felt it a bit clicky so we left having not spoke to anyone. We have since found out that Cali owners are frowned upon as they think we have cheated by buying a ready made van which is really sad to hear.

Anyway, Cali meets are a whole new kettle of fish, everyone is so friendly and we have since made several good friends that we keep in touch with off the forum.

We went to our local VW meet at a pub back in the summer, we had the newest van there as it was mainly T2s, T4's T5 conversions etc.. They did not want to make any conversion with us at all and it all felt it a bit clicky so we left having not spoke to anyone. We have since found out that Cali owners are frowned upon as they think we have cheated by buying a ready made van which is really sad to hear.

Anyway, Cali meets are a whole new kettle of fish, everyone is so friendly and we have since made several good friends that we keep in touch with off the forum.
I went to 2 donny dubz meets. had a right good old booze up both times. no mention of cheating. Maybe it's cos I have a beach so I'm roughing it a bit more.I get what your saying though but those guys loved my sticky coat hooks.

Last edited:
Jess, I think this behaviour is so rude. A smile and a few moments of light chit chat is so simple.

Jess, I think this behaviour is so rude. A smile and a few moments of light chit chat is so simple.

I agree, but don’t forget that Cali owners can have bad days too. Life events to deal with. No reason not to be polite, but maybe their own reason not to be sociable. Shopping at Tesco is enough to put me in a bad mood for a week

Last edited:
if I had "life events to deal with' I probably wouldn't go camping. not with sticky coat hooks anyway. imagine if one fell off while you were dealing with life events

Back