Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Using Waze on a new Coast

Poodlehat2222

Poodlehat2222

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi.
When I ordered my Coast many moons ago, I chose not to add Nav or any dash upgrades to keep costs down, on the understanding that I could magically get Waze from my phone onto the van's screen.
I am due to collect later this month and suddenly realise I have no idea how to preform this magic trick.
Do I need cables to connect or is it wireless?
What are the chances of me getting it set up on the carpark for the journey home?
If its a problem, I'll pack a phone holder and stick the phone to the screen.

Hi.
When I ordered my Coast many moons ago, I chose not to add Nav or any dash upgrades to keep costs down, on the understanding that I could magically get Waze from my phone onto the van's screen.
I am due to collect later this month and suddenly realise I have no idea how to preform this magic trick.
Do I need cables to connect or is it wireless?
What are the chances of me getting it set up on the carpark for the journey home?
If its a problem, I'll pack a phone holder and stick the phone to the screen.
You need a lightning-USB-C cable that the dealer should supply with your new Coast to connect your phone and you should then be able to use Waze, Google Maps, etc

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
If you've got the right head unit in the van, all you need to do is plug your phone in as you would to charge it and the phone will enter the Android Auto setup process on your phones screen. Then on the head unit you access Android Auto via the App button on the head unit... But that's a MY19 Beach so I guess on the T6.1 that button may have moved or become touchscreen based or something.

If the head unit is compatible its less than 5 minutes to set up. At the time I ordered I had to upgrade from the basic head unit to get android auto, but I wouldn't be surprised if its available on the standard option now. Worth checking though

Also you can set it up for use in multiple cars so maybe worth doing a test run on another car before you collect the van?

Sent from my FP4 using Tapatalk

Our dealer (Breeze Poole) gave us the correct cable and showed us how to set phone up - all very straight forward. Once all set up you just plug the phone in and away you go. Have used Waze now for a few years, even on cars with built in 'premium' nav - Waze just works well.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Our dealer (Breeze Poole) gave us the correct cable and showed us how to set phone up - all very straight forward. Once all set up you just plug the phone in and away you go. Have used Waze now for a few years, even on cars with built in 'premium' nav - Waze just works well.
It was Breeze Poole that gave me my cable on handover too.

Breeze Poole here also...

Standard head unit in the Coast supports android auto and apple car play :thumb

Thanks everyone......I'll take a couple of leads down with me and it sounds like I'll sort it.

Hoping to have this problem too, soon ;)
If using your own cable, take the genuine one that came with the phone. Some cheap ones only allow charging and not data transfer to the van.

I don’t know if this helps or not. California Chris did a video this week focusing on Apple CarPlay integration into a Grand California. He had the Waze app on his phome. The follow up video will cover the setup for an Android phone.
Any how here’s the link.

Last edited:
You need a lightning-USB-C cable that the dealer should supply with your new Coast to connect your phone and you should then be able to use Waze, Google Maps, etc
We got our Coast in January use a lighting C lead not supplied with the van so bought two short leads. Tend to use the cup thing to put the phone in when using it. No problem get Amazon music and use google maps. Messages and Whats Ap pop up but some clever person reads them to me very clever

Back