Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Van at dealer, but bike rack isn't

T

turnitdown

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I just bought a new 2024 Ocean, which comes with a bike rack. The van is there at the dealer, ready to go, but the bike rack isn't. There is no ETA on the arrival of the bike rack other than 'sometime in the next couple of weeks'. I've been told I can come get the van now (since it has already been paid in full), but that to get the bike rack I'd have to come back in order for it to be installed.

The thing is, this would be a 1000 mile round trip from where I live. Has anyone been in this situation before? I would have thought it unreasonable for a dealer to either (i) hold the van there on their site for some indeterminate period of time, given its been paid for in full already, or (ii) say that to get the bike I have to come back and fetch it. Any thoughts on this?

I think they should just offer to ship the bike rack to me once it comes in. But if that's unreasonable, should I expect to be able to have someone else pick it up boxed (rather than bring the van back for it to be installed)? Any suggestions on what to propose to the dealer would be welcome or relevant similar experiences.

thanks

Funny that, they didn't have one there for me either.... or the pre-ordered mudflaps that were supposed to be fitted... or the mats.
Picked the mats up at the weekend as I was passing but they are still a 70 mile round trip.

Obviously not a patch on your 1000 mile trip so my suggestion is that they either ship it you at their expense and you fit it, assuming your comfortable in doing so, or they get it to you, or a local dealer, and they need to ask that dealer to fit it on your behalf.

I would suggest you ask them to ship it to you along with a bit of goodwill. They're a doddle to install, hardest bit is putting the protectors in place on the paintwork but you'll have to do that again at some point anyway in all probability as they do tend to get messed up if you take the rack on and off.

If this is the dealer I think it is, I'd probably be happier installing it myself anyway. Alternative is you request them to ship to a dealer local to you and pay them to fit it.

Absolutely unreasonable in my view.
Surely it can be forwarded at their expense. These racks are easy to fit yourself, no spec skills are necessary.
Out of interest, is it a franchise with dealerships that are closer to you, who could supply and fit?

i would ask them to ship it to you, and if they refuse, just get the money back for the rack and go pick up the van, then order the bike rack separately or buy second hand. my experience of the vw dealer here is that something being unreasonable has no bearing on their behavior. i've had my two new californias back and forth to the dealer multiple times each and its a right pain in the arse. never had a single even hint of an apology.

Having recently ordered and fitted one myself, as others have said it’s very simple to fit and you don’t even need a second pair of hands to help, albeit it’s probably advisable to do so. Ironically I was surprised how quickly it came in to the dealer, can’t remember exactly but it was literally a handful of days.
Collect the van and either get them to ship the bike rack to you direct at home, or cancel the order and then re-order via your local dealer. Think mine wanted about £80 to fit it, but having seen some videos on YouTube thought would just collect it and do it myself - would be surprised if it took as long as 10 minutes. Just make sure you get the 4x pieces of protective film in the right place. The rack is light to lift and a doddle to fit once you have the film stuck on.

Thanks all. The rack was included at no charge as some VW deal, so I can’t separately cancel it. They’re on back order supposedly. I don’t really understand why they’re saying I’d need to come and pick it up.

I took the van into get a bike rack installed, but they had it to someone else, So they gave me three VW coffee mugs to apologise. You might a gift out of them!

I have just gone thru this process about six weeks ago. I think the bike rack is made in Poland and they were on back order then. In my case, and fortunately for me, mine arrived at the dealer the same day I picked up my "MY24". Wished I had fitted it myself......I would almost certainly have done a better job although that is now history. My choice to solve yr dilemma? Yr dealer to courier yr bike rack to yr home address, you fit the rack (Its not difficult). Its then all at your convenience. Good luck.

If it’s part of a VW deal, can it not be sent to a more local dealer and collected from / fitted by them?

Was the bike rack an option on your van or are they supposed to come with one?
Picked mine up in July but didn't have one - probably not supposed to but feel like I'm missing out now

Just ask them to post it. They are very easy to fit…just put the protective stickers on (5mins), , open tailgate slightly, stand on a chair to hang rack on tailgate & then tighten 2 Allen bolts.

Was the bike rack an option on your van or are they supposed to come with one?
Picked mine up in July but didn't have one - probably not supposed to but feel like I'm missing out now

They don't come with them normally, they're an accessory you can purchase. However there was a VW deal where you'd get a free bike rack and wind deflectors, I guess as a kind of deal sweetener . I don't know when this started (I'm surprised it hadn't started by July, but it might be based on offers in place when you order rather than when you pick up.)

Other option is to have a weekend away somewhere nearish to the dealer and call in once the rack is in stock?

Other option is to have a weekend away somewhere nearish to the dealer and call in once the rack is in stock?
Thanks. I considered that, but we are talking a 9 hour drive each way from where I live. I also considered building a half-term trip to France around a stop there, but they can't even tell me when the bike rack will arrive, so I could plan the trip this way then find there's no rack yet when we are passing through.

I took the van into get a bike rack installed, but they had it to someone else, So they gave me three VW coffee mugs to apologise. You might a gift out of them!
The last time I bought a California, it was 2019, and there was a deal on where you got £1000 worth of accessories (or something like that). I went for an extra bike rack (the van already had one), which I promptly sold, plus some VW memorabilia like a VW Camper piggybank or something like that. The dealer said it wasn't in stock but they would post it to me when it arrived. Needless to say it never made it to me.