VCDS/CARISTA/VAG/DIAGNOSTIC DEVICES

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I am looking to purchase a diagnostic/carista device/software and wondered if there are strong views about which units/software I should take a close look at and ones I should avoid.

Depends what you are looking to do. I have Carista which is good for making some tweaks (large MPH, needle sweep, tear drop wipe etc) but when recently having a fault code it didn’t too much detailed info to help. I had to google code and even then not conclusive.

Depends what you are looking to do. I have Carista which is good for making some tweaks (large MPH, needle sweep, tear drop wipe etc) but when recently having a fault code it didn’t too much detailed info to help. I had to google code and even then not conclusive.
Tweaks and diagnostics. Sounds like I might need more that one device?
Edit:
I heard that there are subscriptions for the Apps use. Is this correct? Monthly/Annually?

I heard that there are subscriptions for the Apps use. Is this correct? Monthly/Annually?
Yes, when you buy Carista you get 30days free trial which is plenty of time to do the tweaks required. Amazon have the dongle for £24.99 currently.
After that you either pay an annual subscription or you can pay for a month when needed.
12 month subscription is £42.99
1 month is £9.99
3 month is £19.99
At the end of the free trial you need to cancel if you don’t want to continue with a subscription.

VCDS is expensive! But it is the 'Canine testis'.

There are UK suppliers of the Ross-Tech product but be warned of pirate cables that at best will only perform the very basic functions. The actual software is free to download from the Ross-Tech website without any registration etc. All product security is in the cable / dongle.

I moved from Carista to OBBeleven Pro, more functionality for the money.
The Pro gives access to adaptations, long coding and live data.

Last edited:
VCDS is expensive! But it is the 'Canine testis'.

There are UK suppliers of the Ross-Tech product but be warned of pirate cables that at best will only perform the very basic functions. The actual software is free to download from the Ross-Tech website without any registration etc. All product security is in the cable / dongle.

I have vcds. I have the unlimited vin code pro version. It covers ALL VW group vehicles. We have the CalI and Audi in our family. Lamborgini and Skoda is also fully supported.

When I went to Birmingham VW Van Centre last year the technician told me that vcds provides more capability than the official VW diagnostics.

I also have used Ross-Tech technical support when wanting to apply a config change to our Audi. It was not available as a menu option, but it came in the next free upgrade.

VCDS is not just for the minor tweaks to config. It also allows you to perform VW garage 'adaptions'. i.e a DSG gearbox reset. The Ross-Tech forum provides loads of how to guides.

Yes fairly expensive, but pays for itself.

Let me know if you want any more info.

Last edited:
I have vcds. I have the unlimited vin code pro version. It covers ALL VW group vehicles. We have the CalI and Audi in our family. Lamborgini is also supported.

When I went to Birmingham VW Van Centre last year the technician told me that vcds provides more capability than the official VW diagnostics.

I also have used Ross-Tech technical support when wanting to apply a config change to our Audi. It was not available as a menu option, but it came in the next free upgrade.

VCDS is not just for the minor tweaks to config. It also allows you to perform VW garage 'adaptions'. i.e a DSG gearbox reset. The Ross-Tech forum provides loads of how to guides.

I saw online a company advertising the large digital speedo in the MFD for £54.Like you said Alan it will pay for itself in the long run.

I have vcds. I have the unlimited vin code pro version. It covers ALL VW group vehicles. We have the CalI and Audi in our family. Lamborgini is also supported.

I have just upgraded my VCDS to the latest and unlimited version, sold the older one for half the price of the new one so not too much of a sting.

Yes I have also used the free support from Ross-Tech. I should also point out to potential purchasers that you get lifetime software updates automatically and free of charge.

Thanks Alan. Appreciate info. :thumb

I haven’t tried it.
But there’s a tool called iCarsoft from Diagnostic World.
Probably pay for it self after a couple of uses...

I tried the Carista handy little tool but once I had made a few tweaks I had no need of keeping the subscription going.
My Tyre Pressure warning sensor has failed. I need a diagnostic tool that will tell me which wheel it has failed on.

My Tyre Pressure warning sensor has failed. I need a diagnostic tool that will tell me which wheel it has failed on.

How do you know one has failed?

I didn't think the T5 had a separate sensor for tyre pressure, just uses the ABS sensor to calculate difference in rotations per mile due to the difference in tyre diameter. If an ABS sensor fails it generates a brake warning light & stop start error rather than a tyre pressure warning.

Last edited:
How do you know one has failed?

I didn't think the T5 had a separate sensor for tyre pressure, just uses the ABS sensor to calculate difference in rotations per mile due to the difference in tyre diameter. Which I thought generated a brake warning light & stop start error rather than a tyre pressure warning.
No, it gives you a Tyre Pressure Warning to check all the tyres. This is the Indirect TPMS system, unlike the Direct TPMS system which has a presuure sensor in each tyre/wheel.
Not unusual to have such a warning as temperatures drop at this time of year. Just check the pressures, correct them and then reset the system using the MFD.
if it comes back and pressures are still correct then possibly one of the ABS sensors is dirty or has failed.

I worded it badly & have tweaked the response.

What I was trying to say was If an ABS sensor has failed it wouldn't be a Tyre pressure warning showing.

Hence asking how the OP knows that a tyre pressure sensor has failed.

Well I have had a rear ABS sensor fail in the past and it showed up with 3 warning lights The ABS, Anti Skid and Brake lights and also a written warning displayed on start up saying Tyre Pressure sensor failure. I replaced the ABS wheel sensor and all was good.

This time it has only one warning light showing and the Written Tyre Pressure monitor failure.
So I would assume that if it was the same ABS sensor failure then I should also get an ABS warning light which I am not.

Well I have had a rear ABS sensor fail in the past and it showed up with 3 warning lights The ABS, Anti Skid and Brake lights and also a written warning displayed on start up saying Tyre Pressure sensor failure. I replaced the ABS wheel sensor and all was good.

This time it has only one warning light showing and the Written Tyre Pressure monitor failure.
So I would assume that if it was the same ABS sensor failure then I should also get an ABS warning light which I am not.
Have you reset the Tyre Pressures via the MFD?

Have you reset the Tyre Pressures via the MFD?
I did try to reset with Carista. But it would not clear. I must try and reset Tyre pressures like when I have new tyres fitted. I will have to look up how to do it.

I did try to reset with Carista. But it would not clear. I must try and reset Tyre pressures like when I have new tyres fitted. I will have to look up how to do it.
I doubt if Carista could reset it as it’s not a fault. Check tyre pressures and reset via the Dashboard MFD.

Can any of these cheaper devices recode a new replacement main battery?

Back