Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle Battery not charged on EHU

G

golfie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi
Collected my Cali a couple of weeks ago, used it a few times over first week then it was sat on my driveway connected to the EHU so I could fit it out for my impending Portugal trip.

Yesterday when I tried to start it – flat battery.

AA called out with the following results.
Vehicle battery reading 5A.
EHU only charging the leisure battery.
Alternator only charging the engine battery.
Interior living area lights drawing current from the vehicle battery.

My previous T5 charged all batteries on either energy source, is this not the same for the Beach?
Also can someone tell me if the overhead display only relates to the leisure battery or is there a way of showing the vehicle battery state on the display?

Checking to see if anyone has any similar problems or advice before I contact a dealer.

In my original post I should have written battery 5 volts. Sorry got my Victoria and Albert's mixed up

In the T6.1 I think the overhead display just shows the leisure battery status.
Seems odd to have living area lights running off engine battery. When parked up I usually use the control panel to switch them off as they will stay on the whole time the sliding door is open otherwise.

Seems odd to have living area lights running off engine battery. When parked up I usually use the control panel to switch them off as they will stay on the whole time the sliding door is open otherwise.
Yes, we've got into the habit of switching to 'Camping mode' on the control panel, so you can switch interior lights off with the door open.

@golfie do you know what status your leisure battery is showing when EHU is switched off?
If both the engine and leisure battery are dead, then the results for charging from AA would be correct (I think) until the relevant battery is full and then any excess will trickle to engine from leisure battery, and likely vice versa from engine to leisure battery.

@golfie do you know what status your leisure battery is showing when EHU is switched off?
If both the engine and leisure battery are dead, then the results for charging from AA would be correct (I think) until the relevant battery is full and then any excess will trickle to engine from leisure battery, and likely vice versa from engine to leisure battery.
Hi Alison F
Thanks for the query.over past week whilst stationary the display on the leisure battery shows between 46 to 50 hours remaining. The problem is the missing link between the two batteries. At lest you have confirmed that the EHU should also keep the vehicle battery topped up.
Colin

Thanks Alison. Something I never had a problem with on the T5 SE. I will start to turn lights off in future. Colin

Yes, we've got into the habit of switching to 'Camping mode' on the control panel, so you can switch interior lights off with the door open.
Hi Graham sounds like a good habit to get into. Thanks for the advice.
Colin

Hi Graham sounds like a good habit to get into. Thanks for the advice.
Colin
It's quite a handy feature because you can tweak and disable other things, like the lights and indicators when you unlock the van at night or whether the interior lights come on at all or not.

Hi Alison F
Thanks for the query.over past week whilst stationary the display on the leisure battery shows between 46 to 50 hours remaining. The problem is the missing link between the two batteries. At lest you have confirmed that the EHU should also keep the vehicle battery topped up.
Colin
Colin
Based on advice from the forum, it is more reliable to look at the voltage.
I think 12.7V is fully charged leisure battery (wait a while after unplugging EHU). At this point mine would show 60 hrs remaining. If yours isn’t performing correctly then it won’t get to trickle charging the engine battery.
Another thing to consider is what else could be draining the leisure or engine battery - any telephone charge cables etc plugged in anywhere?

EDIT - if you use the search function (spy glass at top right) you will find quite a few threads about leisure / engine battery and how to measure voltage.

Last edited:
Colin
Based on advice from the forum, it is more reliable to look at the voltage.
I think 12.7V is fully charged leisure battery (wait a while after unplugging EHU). At this point mine would show 60 hrs remaining. If yours isn’t performing correctly then it won’t get to trickle charging the engine battery.
Another thing to consider is what else could be draining the leisure or engine battery - any telephone charge cables etc plugged in anywhere?

EDIT - if you use the search function (spy glass at top right) you will find quite a few threads about leisure / engine battery and how to measure voltage.
Thanks Alison F

The leisure battery was on the EHU and fully charged 12.7v. The engine Battery was on 5v. When the engine was started ii charged the engine battery at 14.3v. the AA techie, could not trace a link between the batteries. So the alternator was only charging the engine battery and the EHU was only charging the leisure battery.also the interior lights were drawing the power from the engine battery.
I did a search before posting, yes you are right there are a lot of battery postings but none seemed to match my problem.
Colin

2018 Beach here, mine shows the same behaviour; EHU only charges the leisure battery, alternator only charges the main vehicle battery.

Thanks Alison F for the advice.
The AA techie spent an hour on tests. Leisure battery 12.7v charging on EHU at 14.3. Engine battery 5v when started charging at 14.3v. Nothing else in the van drawing any current. When the interior lights were on they were drawing between 5 to 8A from the engine battery. No charge from the alternator to the leisure battery.and vice versa when leisure on EHU.

I did check previous posts, yes there are quite a few but none that seem to match the draw down from the engine battery.

Thanks Alison F for the advice.
The AA techie spent an hour on tests. Leisure battery 12.7v charging on EHU at 14.3. Engine battery 5v when started charging at 14.3v. Nothing else in the van drawing any current. When the interior lights were on they were drawing between 5 to 8A from the engine battery. No charge from the alternator to the leisure battery.and vice versa when leisure on EHU.

I did check previous posts, yes there are quite a few but none that seem to match the draw down from the engine battery.
So the Mains Charger charges the Leisure battery and the Alternator charges the engine battery.
So common link between the 2 charging systems is:
1. Check large brown 80 amp fuse under front passenger seat RHD vehicle.
2. If above fuse OK then check the Split Charge Relay, also under front passenger seat.

When you say " Interior Lights" do you mean lights in front cabin or lights in rear cabin?

2018 Beach here, mine shows the same behaviour; EHU only charges the leisure battery, alternator only charges the main vehicle battery.
Thanks shuftie
That’s disappointing I thought all Californias had a split relay. This will be a little tricky I’m now booked in with a dealer 10 days time.

So the Mains Charger charges the Leisure battery and the Alternator charges the engine battery.
2. If above fuse OK then check the Split Charge Relay, also under front passenger seat.

When you say " Interior Lights" do you mean lights in front cabin or lights in rear cabin?
Hi welshgas
Thank you for the pointer. All the lights in the rear cabin area. Cooker area backwards.
The AA guy shut all the doors to ensure all the front cabin lights and under seat lights were turned off before testing the draw on the vehicle battery. He then tested the leisure battery with the same lights on, No power usage was detected.
Colin

Hi Shuftie,

can you explain how you know the leisure battery does not revive a charge from the smart alternator?
your alternator / BCM should prioritise the leisure battery charging, when that is full then it switches to Starter battery charge.

Thanks shuftie
That’s disappointing I thought all Californias had a split relay. This will be a little tricky I’m now booked in with a dealer 10 days time.
@Shuftie has a problem with their van then. The alternator should definitely charge it through the split relay. Maybe the fuse has blown or relay is unseated.

Turns out I was wrong; EHU does only charge the leisure battery, alternator does charge both batteries when leisure battery is topped up enough. Bought and fitted Bluetooth BM2 devices to be sure. Happy to be corrected in this case! :thumb

Hi WelshgGas
Thanks for the advice. As suggested I Iooked under the front passenger seat. There is no large brown 80A fuse that I can see. There are the normal 5/10A blade fuses and two green 40A fuses, both about 15mm square. The only relay I can see is a 645 relay, I dont think its the one I am looking for. I will have another look tomorrow when the weather is better.

Back