Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Vehicle Theft

Interesting although I'm not sure it would help in stealing a Cali given we still have a physical key and presumably therefore a physical switch within the ignition which requires the mechanical turning of a key (plus the steering lock would need to be defeated). If a thief is very determined and skilled, doubtless they could overcome those hurdles, but it seems like a LOT of work to take bumpers off, access headlights, then start mechanical lockpicking, taking apart the steering column etc. etc.

As the article suggests, it should be a fairly simple fix for the manufacturer from a software point of view; the CANbus system is inert unless the ignition is powered or something to that effect.

There are several canbus isolation relays on the T6.1. Their purpose is probably to harden the canbus against this sort of attack.

Perhaps the news article is twaddle (didn't read) but the underlying attack is interesting.

https://kentindell.github.io/2023/04/03/can-injection/

Replacing dominant / recessive on the canbus with high / low gives one a selective DOS attack and is reasonably novel.

Luckily a California is not an obvious target.
Interesting article, even if it did make my head spin a bit at one point. I think the Cali's mechanical steering lock and ignition would make it harder to be fair. Does reinforce the benefit of using mechanical security (e.g. a clamp/bollard/steering wheel cover etc..) over the electro-techno-gubbins modern vehicles come with.

Perhaps the news article is twaddle (didn't read) but the underlying attack is interesting.

https://kentindell.github.io/2023/04/03/can-injection/

Replacing dominant / recessive on the canbus with high / low gives one a selective DOS attack and is reasonably novel.

Luckily a California is not an obvious target.
The article “may” be true, but it’s such a convoluted method they would need a lot of alone time. It’s more of a Yahoo clickbait piece. Waste of our time and eyeballs and a bizarre first post from the OP. Tell us about your van, not spreading silly articles that don't apply to a Cali.

Last edited:
The article “may” be true, but it’s such a confuted method they would need a lot of alone time. It’s more of a Yahoo clickbait piece. Waste of our time and eyeballs and a bizarre first post from the OP. Tell us about your van, not spreading silly articles that don't apply to a Cali.
Well the OP joined the forum 4 years ago so even more bizarre 1st post.

The article “may” be true, but it’s such a confuted method they would need a lot of alone time. It’s more of a Yahoo clickbait piece. Waste of our time and eyeballs and a bizarre first post from the OP. Tell us about your van, not spreading silly articles that don't apply to a Cali.
It is true. I've seen the security video on another forum and it was fairly quick "drive away" with the Rav 4.

I don't know if the lights are on the Canbus for the California but I suspect that our BMW X545e are. However this is fitted with a GHOST 2, which even I struggle with (I know the button sequence)

If this is the way the world is going, surely strong mechanical deterrents are the way forward like the Bear Lock.

That’s good news in some ways as it will push manufacturers to up their game.
Certainly sounds like Jaguar Land Rover need to up their game :)

It is true. I've seen the security video on another forum and it was fairly quick "drive away" with the Rav 4.

I don't know if the lights are on the Canbus for the California but I suspect that our BMW X545e are. However this is fitted with a GHOST 2, which even I struggle with (I know the button sequence)
Well, I said if and tbh I cba watching the video. Worst thing about this thread is going to be the endless discussions again on Cali security.

That’s good news in some ways as it will push manufacturers to up their game.
Too true
My insurer won’t provide cover for new evoque
Tried direct. Line£290fullycomp